OT: Oil Spill. There are two men...

Page 4 of 6

I've noticed that the violence is way down from what it was 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 years ago. Can it tick up from time to time? Sure. Could the country wind up in a civil war? Sure it's possible. Can violence tick up from time to time. Sure. But is there a clear trend that says it's going backward, out of control? No

I'd still like to see a reference for your claim that coal can be converted into gasoline at just over $3 a gallon.

Funny thing, those "other lobbyists" would include those with interests in coal. And there sure would be a lot of money made building all those new plants to convert coal into gasoline. Aren't the above folks just as greedy as everyone else? Even the electric meter boys got a subsidy for the new smart meters. Yet, I don't see anybody rushing to convert coal to gasoline at just over $3. So, I doubt it's due to Congress and lobbyists. I'd say it's due to the fact that it can't be done at anywhere near that price.
Add pictures here
✖
Proteus IIV wrote:

Keyboards fixed: $15.00 (plus shipping)
Add pictures here
✖

You can't fix PROTEUS. The vet's already done it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 19, 2:32 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

YOU HITTING THE CRACK PIPE AGAIN ?
I AM PROTEUS
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 15:19:45 -0700 (PDT), Proteus IIV

Keyboards fixed: $25.00 (plus shipping)
Worn cap lock keys cost extra!
Add pictures here
✖

FOR THAT PRICE I COULD SHIP YOU' A GOOD WORKING ONE I JUST DON'T WANT YOU TO HAVE TO SQUINT TO READ MY INPUT BTW PULL BACK OFF THE SCREEN IT IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU
I AM PROTEUS
Add pictures here
✖
Proteus IIV wrote:

Scam.
Obviously you don't HAVE a working keyboard!
Add pictures here
✖

NOPE I HAVE A NEURAL INTERFACE [:-)] I JUST THNK IT AND IT IS PROCESSED INTO THE DATA STREAM
THE PHYSICAL INTERFACE GETS GUMMY AND SLUGGISH AT TIMES SO MOST TIMES I RATHER GO OUT IN SPACE AND COMCAT VIA SATELLITE WITH YOU EARTHLINGS THEN
BTE NICER PROTEUS VIDEOS ON YouTube I GOT A WARM TUBEY BUZZ ABOUT IT TO SCHEDULE AN ENTERTAINMENT UPGRADE
I AM PROTEUS
Add pictures here
✖
ultimately its really congresses fault.
they care nothing but to get re elected, and raising millions to do so.
given this they are bought by lobbyists.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What would you EXPECT lobbyists to buy? Bushels of turtle eggs? The world's largest collection of squirrel heads? A company that refurbishes cigarette vending machines?
No, buying a vote is a good investment.
But for every vote bought to protect the six-toed salamander there's another vote available to drain the salamander's pond.
Vote-buying averages out. Don't worry about it.
Add pictures here
✖

those bought and paid for legislatures have so many IOUs its impossible for them to do whats right. they just endlessely posture.
a great example is that texas congressman who apologized to BP the company thats killing the gulf, led by tony haward I want my life back, and the president of the BP board who talks of the little people.
bought congressman is why theres never been a move from crude to other energy sources. the oil companies like things just the way they are
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Heh! Congress does not stand in the way of other energy sources. In fact, just the reverse! There's the amazing boondoggle involving Ethanol, massive subsidies and tax credits for insulation, windmills, prizes for perpetual motion machines, and so on.
In spite of these incentives, alternative energy sources remain like mice nibbling on the margins.
Add pictures here
✖

Personally, I would say the subsidies, etc., exactly stand in the way of other energy sources. All they are doing is picking winners and losers like they always do. Let the market do it.
and name it after the IRS.
✖

Well since 1972 bcongress has been aware that were beholden to other countries many not friendly for oil.at any time a mid east war could kill our economy.
Now we could of moved to a methanol based liquid fuel it can be made many ways, including from coal which we have hundreds of years supply.
Or we could of moved to CNG compressed natural gas, its very low polluting. We could of moved to extreme fuel efficent vehicles with incentives to buy small vehicles.......
we could of done may things but congress didnt act. cause the oil companies liked things just the way they are, maximum profit ...........
congress is bought buy lobbyists. thats why the poll numbers for congress are in the 20s.
congress no longer works for the citizens it works for whoever donates enough bucks to get them re elected.
Add pictures here
✖

You make it sound like Congress runs the economy and the energy sector in particular. You think just maybe economics has something to do with it? If it cost $7 a gallon for gasoline or it's equivalent, which it would if we were squeezing it out of coal, you'd be the first one bitching about how it was screwing the common man. If you doubled or tripled the cost of energy over the last 3 decades, what would that have cost the US economy in terms of jobs, growth, standard of living, etc?
As for Congress not doing anything, they did in fact waste $1Bil of our tax dollars back in the days of Jimmy Carter on the shale oil project. How much oil did we get out of that one?
People like to throw out all kinds of half-baked ideas as if they were easy, obvious solutions. A good example is the idea to grow crops to make us energy independent. Sounds good. But, if someone came up with a way to make soybean oil into jet fuel and we used the entire US soybean crop for that purpose, it would supply 20% of the US jet fuel demand. And that jet fuel in turn is only a tiny portion of the overall demand for oil. Certainly we can be doing some incremental things to help, but the idea that we can fix this easily, quickly, etc doesnt' fly.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 26, 9:25 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

consol coal says coal to gasoline would cost just over 3 bucks a gallon. thats a bargain to get us out of dependency of others for crude.
the us has spent my lifetime exporting jobs and money overseas.
one group that loves the wars are the contractors builing equiptement and military gear. they would no doubt welcome a 3rd war somewhere for more profits
Add pictures here
✖

I'd like to see a link to a credible reference that supports that claim. If it were true, one would expect that you'd see coal to gasoline taking place in lots of places around the world. Is anyone doing it?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 06:25:18 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

We can only *wish* for Congress to not do anything.

...and watch what happens to food prices, *worldwide*. Ethanol has been such an overall winner, right? Another bright idea brought to you by the idiots in Washington.

Of course it won't fly; not enough soy beans.
Add pictures here
✖

With enough government encouragement, tax breaks, subsidies, and mandated diversion of resources, there WILL be enough soy beans. Whether there's enough rolling stock to get them to the processing plants is not in the portfolio of the soy-bean advocates.*
----- * Thinly-disguised references to Atlas Shrugged.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes. That's great for financially saavy people who can ride through the troughs without having to touch their investments. The people SS was meant to protect clearly AREN'T the financially well-schooled and who would become a burden on society without some form of enforced saving for the future.

Except that with stocks, the risk is high. Ask BP, Worldcom, Enron and other stock holders whether they would rather have a lower rate of return or any money left at all. I was astounded to learn that many of AIG's risk assessors deliberately excluded the Great Depression from their risk calculations. That's like going to Monte Carlo or Vegas and pretending that 0 and 00 aren't on the roulette wheel.
The stock market whizzes like to point to old statistics to attract the money for what's lately become a huge Ponzi scheme unrelated to the purpose of financing new businesses. It started when all sorts of hedge funds and alleged guarantees against risk appeared. Naked shorting comes to mind as the beginning of the end. The financial markets of the world are not as infallable as Wall Streeters would like to believe. When people can profit from bad things happening to others, the seeds of doom have been sown. Worse, still, is that the world markets are incredibly interlinked. Trouble in any one spot, like Greece, reverberates through the economy out of proportion to its actual weight.
What I believe will happen is that the folks who have socked away loads of tax deferred investments might find they were better off paying the taxes when they got the money. When the US runs out of magic tricks to pay its debts, it won't have much choice but to grab up all the money it can by raising the tax rates - just as boomers start drawing on those funds to stay alive. Something like BP's big spill can be the lead domino in a very seriously bad chain of events for the stock market. There's a big disconnect between what government is doing FOR the elites and doing AGAINST middle class.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖