OT, Oh Crap, Now We Have An Ice Storm On The Way

Page 4 of 4
On 2/12/2014 6:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I heard of an Alaskan bush pilot who hovered his light plane in a breeze outside a control tower in Florida. When the man from the FAA showed up to investigate, he told the controllers to forget about it because those pilots were nuts. Bush pilots are like those kids you see doing unbelievable stunts on skateboards. Those guys do things with aircraft that the flying machines are not supposed to do. ^_^
TDD

Anyone remember the guy who had some fish in his plane. A bear tore the plane apart, to try and get at the fish. So the pilot had a case of cling wrap and a case of duct tape flew in. Cling wrapped his plane, and flew it out.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Sounds a little like the tragedy that befell Robert Scott's expedition:
<Oates knew he was suffering from severe frostbite in his feet, could not go on, and did not want to slow the others down. On 17 March 1912, he left the tent during a blizzard. His final words,written down by Scott, were: 'I am just going outside, and I may be some time'. He was never seen again. The other three died in their tent during a blizzard at the end of March. They were only 11 miles from the next food and fuel depot.>
http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/sea-and-ships/facts/explorers-and-leaders/scott
--
Bobby G.

(PeteCresswell);3196986 Wrote: >

Your friend could very well have been stationed at a radar base on the "DEW" line.
The DEW line is a string of radar bases built by the US Air Force back in the 1950's to provide a Distant Early Warning of a Soviet bomber or missile attack. It stretches along the north coast of Alaska, across Northern Canada, across southern Greenland, and even across Iceland. I'd expect it was probably US Air Force along with the Canadian, Danish and Icelandic military manning those radar bases.
'File:Map of Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia' (http://tinyurl.com/l7q5yoo )
I don't think the DEW line is still operating. I understand the US Military now has satellites that can detect the heat signature or a rocket or missile launch and determine it's trajectory, and so they probably don't need the DEW line anymore.
The Canadian arctic looks pretty desolate when you see pictures taken by people who've gone up there... especially in the winter. But underwater there's abundant marine life all year round.
--
nestork

I spent a year at USCG LorSta Port Clarence, AK.
Back in the 70's when I got my orders I did a little research. I found an article that said National Geographic considered Nome, AK as the "end of civilization" in that part of the world.
Port Clarence is about 70 miles north-east of Nome i.e. beyond the edge.

My daughter goes to school in Plattsburgh, NY, about 1.5 hours north of Lake Placid. I keep track of the Plattsburgh weather by getting texts from the ferry authority that runs the ferries that cross Lake Champlain from Plattsburgh to Vermont. When I get a text that says they are delayed, or worse - not running, I know it's bad where my daughter is.
My wife and I found a nice old hotel in Lake Placid called The Pines. They have a huge covered porch where you can eat dinner and listen to a band on warm nights. When you're done you climb the stairs to your room with the big tall bed, an old fashioned dresser and chair, like back in the early 1900's. Cool place, no pun intended.
http://www.thepinesoflakeplacid.com/rooms.html
On 2/12/2014 8:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

At least the bathroom looks modern. ^_^
TDD

Must not be the Russian version, comrade?
The one guy said they did figure out the lack of hot water. The surveillance cameras show western journalists leaving the shower on all day. At least the camera work? Cameras in the showers?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Heh Heh. We have had a couple of slight frosts. And quite a bit of rain. http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images ;_yltx9QXgCVfpScTMAvOZLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB2bzFub3RmBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA1NNRVVLNDBfODY-?_adv_prop=image&fr=sfp&sz=all&va=floods+worcester
No probs with floods at my house. Can function with no electricity if we have to.
On 2/11/2014 10:53 AM, harryagain wrote:

Ice and snow are a rarity here in The South and when it happens there is havoc. People go bonkers and blame the weather boffins. ^_^
TDD