OT, Oh Crap, Now We Have An Ice Storm On The Way

At 6:15pm we have snow falling here and there is expected to be ice on the roads around Birmingham tomorrow. At least the schools, government offices and a lot of businesses decided to close. The don't want a cluster coitus like we had the last time. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Less energy intensive just means it needs more fuel.

Properly converted AT LEAT 80%. Properly tuned for natural gas only (don't try to run it on gasoline) , 100% plus.

I've got a 9kw unit, converting to NG and figuring on 6500 in the "real world". It's standing by on Gasoline for the winter - will be converting in spring - this is a 240 volt unit and will be connected with an interlock

Reply to
clare

At USCG LorSta Port Clarence AK our runway was about a 1/2 mile from the main buildings. There was a paved road from the station to the runway. Normally, when a bush pilot was coming to the station, they'd radio ahead and we'd send a truck out to the runway to get them or whatever they were delivering. There was a standard operating procedure for incoming aircraft, with landing logs, proper communication protocols, strobe lights on the runway, etc.

One afternoon, during a really bad storm - white out conditions, comms down, wind buffeting the station, etc. - the front door flies open and in walks one of the regular bush pilots and 3 Eskimos from the village about

15 miles across Port Clarence Bay. We were surprised to see them walk in unannounced and the duty officer was pissed that he wasn't notified by the radio room about the incoming aircraft. We were even more surprised to see their plane parked about 20 feet from the front door.

Turned out they were headed to the village from Nome but the conditions were so bad that the pilot figured our runway was better than the beach he had to land on in the village. He had tried radioing in but couldn't get through. He saw a break in the storm, dropped it onto the runway and taxi'ed up the road to the station. "Aw heck, I didn't want to make you guys come out in this nasty weather."

They stayed for lunch, played a little poker until the storm passed and then headed on home. The duty officer "formally" (but with a smile on his face) requested that he not park his plane in front of the station next time.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Friend of mine in South Carolina says 11 inches snow, and then sleet on top of that. And more snow expected.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The smallest genset I installed in homes was the 8kw Generac with the B&S Vanguard V twin which was a pretty good engine except for the oil pressure switches which would go bad. The last Generac I installed was one with the newer Generac manufactured V twin which is a beast and I think it was a 3,600rpm 10kw and it ran great, it's not a lawnmower engine but an industrial engine. Someone even took one of the new Generac V twin engines and installed it in a motorcycle frame. Generac has a 7kw automatic propane/NG unit that's an excellent genset. What is good about that unit is the fact that it runs at 1800rpm instead of

3600rpm like gensets that size. This increases the life expectancy and produces less noise than the 3600rpm screamers. I really recommend a professional installation with a service contract that gets you at least an annual oil change and full checkup for any generator you decide to buy. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I can't speak for Alaska, but if anyone ever visits Northern Canada, keep in mind that the locals indigenous people don't like to be called "Eskimos". In their view, that's the white man's label that's been put on them. To them, it's a bit like calling people from the southern USA states "red necks".

Indigenous people prefer to be called "Inuit", which means "the people" in their native language.

Also, people should be aware that there are different Inuit groups in the north with significantly different cultures. The Inuit that live in the many islands in our far north live mostly by fishing in summer and hunting seal in winter. The Inuit that live in the western part of our far north live by hunting caribou, which still migrate north and south every year in large heards.

Many Inuit also supplement their incomes by selling soapstone carvings to art galleries in the southern part of our country that sell them to Canadians dumb enough to pay $3000 for something it took an Inuit 45 minutes to make.

Reply to
nestork

My daughter goes to school in Plattsburgh, NY, about 1.5 hours north of Lake Placid. I keep track of the Plattsburgh weather by getting texts from the ferry authority that runs the ferries that cross Lake Champlain from Plattsburgh to Vermont. When I get a text that says they are delayed, or worse - not running, I know it's bad where my daughter is.

My wife and I found a nice old hotel in Lake Placid called The Pines. They have a huge covered porch where you can eat dinner and listen to a band on warm nights. When you're done you climb the stairs to your room with the big tall bed, an old fashioned dresser and chair, like back in the early

1900's. Cool place, no pun intended.

DerbyDad03

Sounds a little like the tragedy that befell Robert Scott's expedition:

Robert Green

Your friend could very well have been stationed at a radar base on the "DEW" line.

The DEW line is a string of radar bases built by the US Air Force back in the 1950's to provide a Distant Early Warning of a Soviet bomber or missile attack. It stretches along the north coast of Alaska, across Northern Canada, across southern Greenland, and even across Iceland. I'd expect it was probably US Air Force along with the Canadian, Danish and Icelandic military manning those radar bases.

'File:Map of Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'

I don't think the DEW line is still operating. I understand the US Military now has satellites that can detect the heat signature or a rocket or missile launch and determine it's trajectory, and so they probably don't need the DEW line anymore.

The Canadian arctic looks pretty desolate when you see pictures taken by people who've gone up there... especially in the winter. But underwater there's abundant marine life all year round.

Reply to
nestork

It ain't natural! o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ancient modern art, the artist laughs at the pseudo intellectuals who pay ridiculous sums of money for his crap. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I heard of an Alaskan bush pilot who hovered his light plane in a breeze outside a control tower in Florida. When the man from the FAA showed up to investigate, he told the controllers to forget about it because those pilots were nuts. Bush pilots are like those kids you see doing unbelievable stunts on skateboards. Those guys do things with aircraft that the flying machines are not supposed to do. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

At least the bathroom looks modern. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

was that your Bible I heard?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Anyone remember the guy who had some fish in his plane. A bear tore the plane apart, to try and get at the fish. So the pilot had a case of cling wrap and a case of duct tape flew in. Cling wrapped his plane, and flew it out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Must not be the Russian version, comrade?

The one guy said they did figure out the lack of hot water. The surveillance cameras show western journalists leaving the shower on all day. At least the camera work? Cameras in the showers?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

But doesn't that conflict with the "Properly converted AT LEAT 80%" ?

Assuming I'm just missing something, what would your guesstimate be on the "gasoline size" generator needed to put out 4kw running natural gas?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

No, I'm using all those free bibles I got from the motel rooms where I took the hookers to hold down the tarps on the trailer roof. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Not only that, they threaten you with death if you try to heat your home from the stove.

I'm not sure how that works. Am I partly dead after I cook dinner?

Reply to
micky

Don't you need an electric fan to spread the heat around??

Reply to
micky