OT, Oh Crap, Now We Have An Ice Storm On The Way

Page 3 of 4
On 2/12/2014 9:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

The smallest genset I installed in homes was the 8kw Generac with the B&S Vanguard V twin which was a pretty good engine except for the oil pressure switches which would go bad. The last Generac I installed was one with the newer Generac manufactured V twin which is a beast and I think it was a 3,600rpm 10kw and it ran great, it's not a lawnmower engine but an industrial engine. Someone even took one of the new Generac V twin engines and installed it in a motorcycle frame. Generac has a 7kw automatic propane/NG unit that's an excellent genset. What is good about that unit is the fact that it runs at 1800rpm instead of 3600rpm like gensets that size. This increases the life expectancy and produces less noise than the 3600rpm screamers. I really recommend a professional installation with a service contract that gets you at least an annual oil change and full checkup for any generator you decide to buy. ^_^
http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators/corepower-series
http://preview.tinyurl.com/lxkmjrv
TDD
On 2/10/2014 9:13 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Good idea, not having to go outdoors for your 2 AM pee wake up.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/10/2014 9:13 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

(Honda inverter generator)

(transfer switch)

(extended run fuel tank)

I think that you'd appreciate the natural gas connection. Must be nice to have a constant energy supply without the trips to queue up at the gas station. That is, if you can find a gas station that has power, gasoline, and is in operation.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:06:11 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

We don't have natural gas so I've been running a 5,500 Watt gasoline powered generator for outages. I've been thinking of getting one with a diesel powered one that I could run off the home fuel oil tank.
Paul
On 2/12/2014 6:28 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

That should be legal, as long as you don't drive your generator on public roads. (smile here). fuel oil isn't taxed for road use.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Eh. I just go to bed when the power goes out. We have electric heat and it gets cold! Does your gas heat stay on when the power goes out? When it goes out at my mom's house, she loses her heat.
On 2/11/2014 3:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

I've had friends with electric heat. Yes, it gets cold, and fast. I think it's a good idea to have something that burns propane (camp stove, or infrared heater) and a bunch of tanks.
Typically, the gas stays on. Most furnace need power to open the gas valve and run the blower.
Burners on the top of a gas range usually work, might have to light em with a match.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/11/2014 2:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

I have a wall heater and a gas stove. The central heat was damaged by the combustion chamber rusting out and the controls burning up. The central AC is working but I installed the natural gas wall mounted heater and have another identical one that I'd have to repair because it was originally installed and a goofy roommate broke the control and now the grill is missing. Two heaters would be enough to heat this old house which originally had a floor furnace. The wall heater is in one side of the house and the gas stove is in the other. I set the oven to low and leave the oven door open about 4 inches but can open it wider if more heat is needed. The oven thermostat cuts it on and off just like the wall heater. I also have a 5 gallon stock pot full of water on one burner set to very low to add humidity to the air. I have three electric heaters to average out the temperatures. Heck, the four desktop computers running add heat to the air. When the temperature dropped down to 7°F, the house was comfortable and no pipes froze, temperatures that low are unusual for Alabamastan. Snow paralyzes the area and now we have an ice storm hitting North of here and it's expected to descend upon Birmingham tomorrow. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 17:04:33 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Don't you need an electric fan to spread the heat around??

Heat rises. When I have no electricity and need to heat my house with my stove I simply hang out near the ceiling. Toasty!
On 2/13/2014 4:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You're batty.
(Old cabins had a loft, for that same reason.)
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/10/2014 4:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Having been through several here in Oklahoma I can say that a good ice storm is nothing to sneeze at. It can pay big time to be prepared. Bad enough to be stuck at home with no power, being stuck at work or on the road is really the pits.
Bill
On 2/11/2014 9:19 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

A friend from South Carolina sent me his local forecast. Snow, sleet. Sounds rough.
.WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THURSDAY. .WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY WILL EXPIRE AT 6 PM EST THIS EVENING. * LOCATIONS.NORTHEAST GA & UPSTATE SO. CAROLINA. * HAZARDS.HEAVY SNOW.POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SLEET AT TIMES. * TIMING.MAINLY PATCHY LIGHT SNOW WILL IMPACT THE REGION THIS EVENING. THE PRECIPITATION WILL BECOME HEAVIER TOWARD DAYBREAK & LAST THROUGH MUCH OF WED NIGHT BEFORE TAPERING OFF THUR MORNING. MAINLY SNOW IS EXPECTED.BUT WITH SLEET MIXING IN AT TIMES.ESPECIALLY AT LOCATIONS SE OF INTERSTATE 85. THE SNOW WILL END FROM THE WEST THURSDAY MORNING. * ACCUMULATIONS.SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 12 INCHES.ALONG WITH AROUND A TRACE OF ICE. * IMPACTS.THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW & OCCASIONAL SLEET WILL MAKE TRAVEL TREACHEROUS. THE ACCUMULATIONS MAY ALSO CREATE NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES.ESPECIALLY LATE WEDNESDAY THROUGH THUR MORNING. * TEMPS.IN THE MID 30S.
I keep expecting to be asked for my bank account number so he can transfer L24,000,000.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/11/2014 07:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's all democrat fearmongering climate change propaganda. It's going to be a nice republican 74, sunny with a mild breeze.
On 2/11/2014 6:39 PM, 0ren wrote:

U R Just a climate racist! o_O
TDD
Per Stormin Mormon:

One of my sick friends sent me this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeNQhj73Koo

--
Pete Cresswell

Per Oren:

Guy I used to work with was stationed North of the Arctic Circle - somewhere in Greenland, IIRC.
They lived in these long Quonset huts placed side-by-side with maybe 50 feet between them.
During storms, when winds were heaven-only-knows how strong and it was seriously below zero everybody was supposed to stay in their hut and not go outside under any circumstances.
But the macho thing to do was exit the hut on, say, the North end; run for the adjacent hut while the wind blew you South, and make it in to the lee of the other hut at it's South end where they could enter the hut.
He said that every so often some guy would go out the North end... and never be seen again.
--
Pete Cresswell

At USCG LorSta Port Clarence AK our runway was about a 1/2 mile from the main buildings. There was a paved road from the station to the runway. Normally, when a bush pilot was coming to the station, they'd radio ahead and we'd send a truck out to the runway to get them or whatever they were delivering. There was a standard operating procedure for incoming aircraft, with landing logs, proper communication protocols, strobe lights on the runway, etc.
One afternoon, during a really bad storm - white out conditions, comms down, wind buffeting the station, etc. - the front door flies open and in walks one of the regular bush pilots and 3 Eskimos from the village about 15 miles across Port Clarence Bay. We were surprised to see them walk in unannounced and the duty officer was pissed that he wasn't notified by the radio room about the incoming aircraft. We were even more surprised to see their plane parked about 20 feet from the front door.
Turned out they were headed to the village from Nome but the conditions were so bad that the pilot figured our runway was better than the beach he had to land on in the village. He had tried radioing in but couldn't get through. He saw a break in the storm, dropped it onto the runway and taxi'ed up the road to the station. "Aw heck, I didn't want to make you guys come out in this nasty weather."
They stayed for lunch, played a little poker until the storm passed and then headed on home. The duty officer "formally" (but with a smile on his face) requested that he not park his plane in front of the station next time.
DerbyDad03;3197253 Wrote: >

> in

> about

I can't speak for Alaska, but if anyone ever visits Northern Canada, keep in mind that the locals indigenous people don't like to be called "Eskimos". In their view, that's the white man's label that's been put on them. To them, it's a bit like calling people from the southern USA states "red necks".
Indigenous people prefer to be called "Inuit", which means "the people" in their native language.
Also, people should be aware that there are different Inuit groups in the north with significantly different cultures. The Inuit that live in the many islands in our far north live mostly by fishing in summer and hunting seal in winter. The Inuit that live in the western part of our far north live by hunting caribou, which still migrate north and south every year in large heards.
Many Inuit also supplement their incomes by selling soapstone carvings to art galleries in the southern part of our country that sell them to Canadians dumb enough to pay $3000 for something it took an Inuit 45 minutes to make.
--
nestork

On 2/12/2014 7:33 PM, nestork wrote:

Ancient modern art, the artist laughs at the pseudo intellectuals who pay ridiculous sums of money for his crap. ^_^
TDD