OT, Oh Crap, Now We Have An Ice Storm On The Way

Page 2 of 4
On 2/11/2014 6:12 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

to the house a few years ago and he was angry because Sandy liked me better. WT would yell at her for doing things that were dog-like and he talked like he was growling all the time so the critter would run hide behind me or jump in my lap. After WT died, I tried to find a good home for Sandy but one day I was very ill and I awakened to find that Sandy had burrowed under the covers and curled up leaning on me to keep me warm so after that I couldn't get rid of the little bitch. Sandy is a Red Deer Head Chihuahua who thinks she's a Rottweiler thus I refer to her as a Rotthuahua who weighs 11 pounds. Back in the 1970's I raised a Weimaraner from a pup and by the time he was a year old, he could stand on his hind legs and place his front paws on my shoulders. That goofy dog retrieved bricks. So the question I have for everyone would be, "Is it a real dog, if you can pick up full grown example with one hand?" o_O
TDD
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 21:02:49 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Not only that, they threaten you with death if you try to heat your home from the stove.
I'm not sure how that works. Am I partly dead after I cook dinner?

On 2/13/2014 11:52 AM, micky wrote:

worry abut CO. o_O
TDD
Probably the best investment you can make to help protect against power outages is a pair of long underwear and a long sleeve turtle neck t-shirt; both made out of a soft comfortable material like cotton.
--
nestork

On 2/13/2014 10:42 PM, nestork wrote:

How does that protect against outages?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2014 12:52 PM, micky wrote:

Consider thanksgiving. All the range top burners going, and bird in the oven. After dinner does anyone LOOK dead? There's your answer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/13/2014 11:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The people in ditches are either idiots that don't understand the physics of driving in the snow and/or were busy talking/texting on their iphones.
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 04:51:51 -0500, Damning Dumass - Welfare TeaBillie

regardless of their skills. In any case, people who should have stayed at home.

Or those who end in the ditch because of someone else's idiot move.
Yesterday morning I was in the right lane of a three lane exit ramp. All three lanes are used to make a left turn onto the three lane overpass of the highway. I make the same left hand turn from the same right lane 5 days a week. Yesterday, as I was making the turn I was surprised to find that I was so close to the car on my left, the car that I assumed was in the center lane. In reality, it was some idiot that decided to turn the 3 lane road into a 4 lane road. I had to move right to avoid contact and went into the slush along the curb of the overpass.
I kept the control of my vehicle and I may even have contacted the curb. Had it been another situation, like if I had driven into the slush on the shoulder of a highway at a higher speed I might well have gone into a ditch while trying to avoid an accident.
When I see someone in a ditch I don't automatically assume that they or their car couldn't handle the conditions. I've seen enough idiot moves by drivers who either didn't know or didn't care about the chaos they left in their wake.
Per The Daring Dufas:

We just finished five days without electric.
I was *really* glad I had one of these: http://tinyurl.com/mhoccd8 and one of these: http://tinyurl.com/a6e9fgn
The transfer switch came after a couple of years' running extension cords through windows. Money well spent IMHO.
After 5 days of getting up at 0200 to re-fuel, the next thing will be one of these: http://tinyurl.com/o2djjla
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/10/2014 8:13 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

used it to run? The largest generator I installed for a home was a 40kw Kohler and it would run everything in the house. I got my late friend GB to build a doghouse that matched the home as a cover for the big genset. ^_^
TDD

I'm not (Pete) but my finding is that a 1200 watt ETQ brand gas mixer generator did run furnace for a friend of mine. Big belt drive blower, too.
I've not tried refrigerators, though. They take more start up current.
The doghouse sounds like a good idea for cover. Might muffle the sound, also.
When the power goes off, I look up and down the street. Try not to appear better off than my neighbors. I usually go with a couple candles and oil lamps, which also put out heat. Propane two mantle lamp is excellent for both heat and light.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/11/2014 6:11 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

at start up. So I don't see why Pete's generator wouldn't run one. ^_^
TDD
Per The Daring Dufas:

Somebody else observed that there are two extremes in home generators: "Cruise Ship" and "Lifeboat".
We went "Lifeboat".
Our house cruises on 800-1200 watts depending on how hard the natural gas furnace's blower is working.
That gets us:
- All the hot air heat we want.
- Couple of PC's, a NAS box, and various LAN stuff
- TV
- Lights in almost every room of the house.
It does *not* get us:
- Toaster - Coffee maker - Microwave - Electric stove - Washer & Dryer.
I have a little screw-on stove burner that works with a 16-oz propane bottle and it is extremely effective. Just ordered 2 more, in fact. That's good for coffee, and whatever else can be made on a stove burner.
We have a mini-propane grill (about 10" x 18") that also works on a 16-oz bottle. That gets us toast, store-bought pizza, and so-forth.
I have been obsessing about a second 2KW generator (these things are made to run in parallel) to run intermittently around meal times to pick up the slack for microwave, coffee maker, toaster....
But we're older than dirt and the wife has become adamant about getting a natural gas powered auto-transfer setup against the day that one or both of us are too sick or too feeble to manage the two "manual" generators.
That would be full "Cruise Ship" except, maybe, for the central AC.
I have not priced it yet, but am bracing myself for sticker shock.
OTOH, I don't want our survivors to have *too* much fun..... -)
But the bottom line for me is that 2KW works if you don't want the sun, the moon, and the stars.... or central air...
It's also good on fuel: about six hours per gallon. My little hoard of gasoline in the garden shed got us through 5 days with plenty to spare. OTOH, my neighbor was driving heaven-only-knows-how-far and standing in lines to feed his Home Depot monster.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

- Two refrigerators
- One freezer
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/11/2014 9:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

generators in grocery stores and homes, I've even converted some contractor type gensets to natural gas and installed a manual transfer switch. My favorite genset is the old Onan air cooled four cylinder 15kw natural gas fueled gensets because they're very reliable. Every single one of them I've installed was a used genset from a retail store and restaurant salvage company. I've made repairs to the engines and transfer switches when I installed them but all they needed was an annual oil change and rarely needed spark plugs that tended to last a very long time especially if I put platinum plugs in them. I'd like to have one for the house because it would run everything. The largest genset I installed in a home was a used Kohler 40kw. I've installed a lot of new Generac 8kw to 20kw gensets in homes and I setup many of them with an alarm system circuit board inside the transfer switch that would dial in to an alarm system monitoring company to report whether or not it had exercised on schedule or had a fault condition. ^_^
TDD
Per The Daring Dufas:

What is your take on installing a generator rated at 4kw for running on gasoline - but powered by natural gas? I'm thinking that some of the RV-oriented generators, although designed for propane, might be a good fit because they are designed with low noise in mind. e.g. http://tinyurl.com/pterzde
I came away from power.cummins.com thinking that a 4kw gasoline generator was good for 3.6 on Propane.
But then I read http://www.propane101.com/propanevsnaturalgas.htm and it sounded like natural gas is a *lot* less energy-intensive than propane.
Any idea what the conversion factor is for estimating a gasoline generator's max output when it is run on natural gas?
Where I'm going is:
- My Better Half has become adamant about installing something that will do the job even if we are both too sick and/or feeble to go out and attend to it (as in startup, refueling...)
- Even though we don't pay highway tax on natural gas, it's still far from free. Otherwise, I'd just go for something like your 15kw Kohler. But my experience is that fuel consumption rises very sharply as the generator's peak power is increased.
- We already have a smart transfer switch (APC's UTS-6H) that is rated for 4kw and accepts only 120v power.
- A 2kw generator is pretty much doing it for us now, although another KW would add a certain convenience factor in terms of load shedding and/or going outside to run a gas appliance when heating up food making toast, making coffee, and so-forth.
- I am picking 4kw blindly - without any idea of how much power I will get out of a 4kw gasoline-rated generator. Maybe it will turn out that I will need 5kw... But 6.5 seems like a stretch, as does 3, once the device is running on natural gas instead of gasoline.
--
Pete Cresswell

Less energy intensive just means it needs more fuel.

(don't try to run it on gasoline) , 100% plus.

I've got a 9kw unit, converting to NG and figuring on 6500 in the "real world". It's standing by on Gasoline for the winter - will be converting in spring - this is a 240 volt unit and will be connected with an interlock
Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

But doesn't that conflict with the "Properly converted AT LEAT 80%" ?
Assuming I'm just missing something, what would your guesstimate be on the "gasoline size" generator needed to put out 4kw running natural gas?
--
Pete Cresswell