OT: Noteworthy Sayings

Noteworthy sayings of others:

The revolution will come when hackers meet political activists.

I'm not going to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.

Money IS the root of all evil.

One man's religion is another man's superstition.

My noteworthy sayings:

Would you like to end America's dependence on foreign oil, take a bite out of oil company profits and make the world a better place? Then trade in that behemoth you're driving for a smaller, lighter vehicle.

The term "reality TV" is an oxymoron.

Nothing on TV is real, not even the news.

Show me a poor Republican and I'll show you a misguided Democrat.

The goverment is lying to you so why are you still listening?

Do evil and get rich, do good and be poor.

The only difference between atheists and you is that they aren't superstitious.

It is no more logical to say that believers in god are good than it is to say that atheists are bad.

God was invented by man for a reason, that reason is no longer applicable.

Rid yourself of superstition, kick god to the curb.

Reply to
truthfortruth'ssake

With so much anti-religion rhetoric its not surprising you got this quote wrong.

How about we cut our dependence on oil in general and loose the rediculous term "foreign oil."

Reply to
dnoyeB

As an aside I'm not just anti-religion I'm anti-god but how did I misquote?

I doubt that those who live in the middle east call their oil American. Except for that I agree with your statement and reiterate that the best (smartest?) way to do as you say is to use less oil by driving more efficient (smaller) vehicles.

Religion is a placebo for the weak minded. truthfortruth'ssake

Reply to
truthfortruth'ssake

For the love of money is the root of all evil.

1 Titus 6:10
Reply to
badgolferman

Thank you for reminding me. I like my version better, it's more appropriate. truthfortruth'ssake

Reply to
truthfortruth'ssake

Maybe I'm older than you, but people have been getting this wrong as often as not long before there was so much anti-religion rhetoric. In fact it was often, I think usually, those who were pro-religion, usually proThe Bible from which this comes, who got it wrong, and who still get it wrong.. People make mistakes about both the things they support and the things they oppose (and the things they are neutral about).

mm

Then you should change your moniker.

Reply to
badgolferman

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:47:50 -0600, "truthfortruth'ssake"

I'm not anti-God. I consider "God" to have no meaning. There's nothing to be against. As to religion, it makes much more sense when you consider it as an infectious disease (with an "educated" vector).

As to the quote, I think it's supposed to start with "The love of money..."

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"love of money" does make more sense than just "money" here. Money itself hasn't done anything wrong. It's people trying to get money that do.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

God Money I'd do anything for you...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I agree.

Although all of a sudden, I feel like mentioning that it's clear to me the love of money is not the root of all evil.

There is also lust, jealousy, the desire for power, personal insecurity, the desire for untargeted and maybe also targeted vengeance, and probably certain occurrences of some mental illnesses and a few other things that have nothing to do with money.

I hope my disagreeing with even the original saying isn't regarded as being anti-religion. I never thought of this line as being one of the pillars of any religion.

For example, Nixon and others have done a lot of evil things in office, but afaik, only one or two of those things Nixon did had anything to do with money.

(What did have to do with money: He donated some of his "personal papers" to the Library of Congress or some place, and pre-dated the gift document, because Congress had passed a law ending tax deductions for such a gift. because the public wanted and they decided that many papers that one writes or signs while he is working for the government probably belong to the govement in the firstr place, and if not, they're still not going to let one deduct from one's taxes for them. So he dated the gift before the law went into effect, even though he made the gift months later. It's not like this law was a surprise. He had months before the law went into effect that they could have made the gift and gotten the deduction, but I guess they didn't get around to it.)

mm

Perhaps. In any event many of us are weak minded. Would you have us all without our religions? You can't always be strong. And you can't be strong in everything.

The church does a much better job than the school system or the criminal justice system at getting people to behave themselves.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Strong or weak you are alone in this world and alone is how you must deal with it. The only help you're going to get is from your own inner strength or from those who care about you, not some imaginary being. It is not necessary to resort to delusional beliefs.

Religion is a system based on punishments and rewards meated out by imaginary beings, god and the devil. This doesn't elevate man it subjugates him. Instead of doing good because it's the right thing to do people do it for the promise of reward and instead of rejecting evil because that too is the right thing to do people do it because they fear punishment. The result of this is that instead of standing on their own people use religion and god as a crutch to lean on or a fantasy with which to escape their fears. Ultimately people think they can turn to an imaginary friend instead of finding answers for themselves. The only part of religion that could be said to be of any worth is their charitable work but they are not the only institutions capable of doing such work, other than that the world would be a better place without religions.

Religion and god are also employed for evil by people who use them as shields or to justify their persecution of others. That idiot Pat Roberts comes to mind with his proclamations about how god will punish people based on his predictions. What an ego that fool must have.

Everyone makes a choice every day either to do good or evil. For some religion may play a part in that but it would be far better if people could do this on their own and there's no reason why they can't. truthfortruth'ssake

Reply to
truthfortruth'ssake

Thats why I asked if you had studied religion. This is an outsiders view. Learn religion from religious scholors and not from the pulpit and you will get a different view.

reward and punishment is what the children are taught, but we graduate beyond that. If you read the Bible you will see that most Good people suffer greatly. The founders of Christianity, almost all died a horrible death. This does not align with your God rewards stance.

This is basic manipulation. People like that will used any advantage they can get against other people. Politicians do it continuously, and not always do they use religion.

But we all do. We raise our children giving them candy as a reward for their good behavior. But when we grow up we don't do that, having weined them, and tought them that goodness is its own reward.

Some dont, and get stuck needing the candy. Rampant capitalism is based on getting the candy. You agree that you shouldn't need the candy, so do I. This leaves us where we started

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

Reply to
dnoyeB

It's not true, anyway. The desire for more Power and or Sex generates a fair amount of evil, too. As does simple laziness, the inability to deal with frustration, and my personal favorite, willful stupidity.

Reply to
Goedjn

I understand. I made a mistake responding to your post. I see you have embraced religious propaganda and I will debate the issue no further. Good luck to you. truthfortruth'ssake

Reply to
truthfortruth'ssake

True. I said "love of money" made MORE sense than just "money". I never said it made PERFECT and EXCLUSIVE sense.

There really seems to be a lot of willful stupidity. I find it makes more sense considered an infectious disease. I can thank Richard Dawkins for some of the terminology, but I seemed to have had the idea before. People get infected with this disease before their immunity is fully developed.

BTW, the idea that ANY knowledge is exempt from the possibility of being wrong, is a symptom.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Are the bars closed today?

Reply to
Cue
< snip >

(ignoring politics and craziness)

These are my favorites:

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it" - Henry David Thoreau

"I divide life into two catagories...there&#39;s the miserable, and the horrible...so be glad you&#39;re miserable" - Woody Allen

Reply to
nj_dilettante