OT-Norton Adware/Malware

Page 1 of 4

I remember when Norton was considered top of line security software. I turned the machine on this morning and I had a new Norton security icon on the desktop. I go to the start menu and uninstall the uninvited software. Five minutes later, Norton is starting a security scan with no minimize or close buttons on the window. This time I uninstalled from control panel.
Apparently they don't care if I'm upset. The attempt to send feedback through their site would not send.
Needless to say they are off of my shopping list.
RonB

Norton does removal and all its work for me without my need to interfeer, its all in how you have your settings, many times a day Norton is removing or blocking my computer automaticly, it is a #1 product but you need to set it up the way you want it to work, you havnt, so dont knock it.

You missed the point. I uninstalled Norton 6 months ago when we bought the machine. They intruded, installed themselves and started scanning, uninvited, this morning.
We use Mcafee and a couple of others. Never them again.
RonB

How can anyone miss a point that you did not make? Where in the above does it say you uninstalled anything six months ago? Reading skills cannot overcome poor writing skills
I used McAfee once and had enough of it slowing my machine. I'm sticking with Norton because I've never had problems with it, never had an intrusion. YMMV
On 3/27/2010 11:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Free McAfee from Comcast was a memory hog and I still got viruses. Switched to free Avast and my wife bought Norton. Now Comcast got rid of McAfee and offers Norton. Wife is happy with Norton and now we won't have to pay when her bought copy expires.
In wrote:

Careful: Very often those types of "free" offerings are bastardized to allow certain "applications" to NOT be determined as malware! Yahoo's favorite at one time was to keep a hole open to allow GAIN trojans in which would have been stopped in the "real" product. Knowing Comcast, I'd suspect they have bastardized things like that too. Anytime a pay-for application is provided, there IS a monetary reason for it - it's no great gift, for sure. I'm not saying there ARE holes they created, just that if there arean't, then there's something else involved that's not obvious and isn't ethical.
HTH,
Twayne`
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:50:16 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Back when Peter Norton ran Norton - in the days of Norton Utilities, every product with the Norton name was top notch - as was his service. Since the Norton name has been taken over by Symantec the product is crap and the service even worse.
On Mar 27, 3:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You are correct. A lot of good products have been destroyed by clever MBA business tactics.

IIRC, Peter Norton stayed on staff for sometime after he sold the business. In those days his face was on the product box. A face with a good product - how novel :-/

There is such a thing as a "clever MBA"????
On Mar 27, 7:36pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't think so. But hell, I have screwed up most everything else since I started this stupid string. the only part I don't regret is biting back at Twayne!
In the future I'll stick with Wood, homes and leave the nerd stuff to him.
RonB
In wrote:

Have a look at the 2009 and 2010 product; I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the recovery they've accomplished. Oh, and the problems started before Symantec; check the history dates.
HTH,
Twayne`
RonB wrote:

First, are you sure it's Norton?
Second, uninstalling Norton is insufficient. You must use their sooper-sekret removal tool available only from their website. Then you must scan your registry for all mention of "Norton" or "Symantec." Then you have to delete - often only in Safe Mode - all of the directories and folders Norton set up.
Only then can you be 85% sure you've "removed" Norton.
Remember, Norton did not get its moniker of "Barnacle of the Software World" for nothing; it is a bitch to remove. Norton is a memory hog and uses as much as 15% of your CPU cycles.
There are MUCH better solutions available. Avast and, to a lesser degree, AVG come to mind. Microsoft's Security Essentials, also free, has gotten excellent reviews.
In typed:

That "point" was never made until very recently. So much for writing ability.

No secrecy about it; it's clearly spelled out in the documentation and includes all the caveats.

Nah, the tool gets rid of everything that can run or be run. Nothing can execute after their too has been run.
Then you have to delete - often

Nah, that's preposterous. Actually, that's part of the removal tool operation so that you don't have to "take ownership" of files and/or directories to remove them. It does so automatically for you.

Only then can you be certain you have "removd" Norton's products.

Neatly, everything in 2009 and 2010 versions runs a memory use display that perfectly matches the Task Manager numbers, and it uses very few resources. Actually, I'd be ecstatic if every program I had only ever used 15% of the cpu time; most jump to the hign 90s or 50s, but for very short periods of time. It's how LONG an application requires that much time that's important.
Now that we've established the usefulness and inaccuracy of your allegations and closed minded spew:

There are OTHER solutions available. Not many better, some worse, some just plain hackware or fraudulent to start with, but there ARE others available. A few decent and reliable ones are even free! I don't know what-all tends to "come to mind" for you, but it sure ain't much or anything accurate in the overall! Your post appears to be that of a followerk and a powerless feeling person with little consideration for others. Or, maybe you're just having a bad day; who knows? Everyone's entitled to that once in awhile; no harm, no foul there if the subject realizes it.
HTH,
Twayne`

Are you refering to the newer Norton products since 07, Ive had norton 360 since 07 and have no negative issues, even system speed. Every new review Ive read from 07 on also rates it tops with no more system degradation than other brands, maybe old norton products were different, I had Mcaffe but my free run expired so I bought norton, I notice nothing for the worse with Norton and its more thorough.
ransley wrote:

No, I'm referring to Norton's reputation.
If someone comes to you and says: "I'm on parole for child molestation, arson of a business, exposing myself to a blind person, and maybe a few other things, but I've reformed," and you, in the spirit of Christian forgiveness, immediately hire him instead the four holy fathers, one Buddhist monk, and two nuns who said they'd work for free, then I salute you for charity if not common sense.

Avira 10 free along with Malwarebytes - Antimalware

For Avira 10 free, I had to remove version 9. I download the file, ran the setup and checked for updates - up to date? Until I removed version 9, version 10 looked like in went on and installed. All is well.
Besides my running free Avira and Malwarebtes, I also run the free "Spybot - Search & Destroy". I'm happy the price was right :-/

I run SuperAntiSpware along with Malwarebytes.

I just went and put SuperAntiSpyware on this machine. It runs right along side of Spybot - Search & Destroy. No concerns, both are loaded at boot. I am impressed it found old stuff on a secondary (storage) drive. Spybot - Search & Destroy only finds stuff on the primary drive?
I like it, thanks. Oh, the price was right :-/
Might even remove Spybot - Search & Destroy in a few days..