OT-Norton Adware/Malware

I remember when Norton was considered top of line security software. I turned the machine on this morning and I had a new Norton security icon on the desktop. I go to the start menu and uninstall the uninvited software. Five minutes later, Norton is starting a security scan with no minimize or close buttons on the window. This time I uninstalled from control panel.

Apparently they don't care if I'm upset. The attempt to send feedback through their site would not send.

Needless to say they are off of my shopping list.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Norton does removal and all its work for me without my need to interfeer, its all in how you have your settings, many times a day Norton is removing or blocking my computer automaticly, it is a #1 product but you need to set it up the way you want it to work, you havnt, so dont knock it.

Reply to
ransley

You missed the point. I uninstalled Norton 6 months ago when we bought the machine. They intruded, installed themselves and started scanning, uninvited, this morning.

We use Mcafee and a couple of others. Never them again.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

How can anyone miss a point that you did not make? Where in the above does it say you uninstalled anything six months ago? Reading skills cannot overcome poor writing skills

I used McAfee once and had enough of it slowing my machine. I'm sticking with Norton because I've never had problems with it, never had an intrusion. YMMV

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Free McAfee from Comcast was a memory hog and I still got viruses. Switched to free Avast and my wife bought Norton. Now Comcast got rid of McAfee and offers Norton. Wife is happy with Norton and now we won't have to pay when her bought copy expires.

Reply to
Frank

I use the free version of "AVG". Seems OK. Czech apparently........

Reply to
harry

I gave up on Norton a couple of years ago after it kept blocking

*itself* from accessing the Internet for updates. Been using Computer Associates' Internet Security Suite Plus since then -- free after "competitive upgrade" rebates using old Norton disks and title pages as evidence of ownership of competing product.

However, I see good reports of NOD32. I may try that when my CA subscription runs out at the end of the year.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I use COMODO's free firewall and Avira's free personal anti-virus programs. Why pay when there are excellent freeware choices?

Reply to
Peter

That hasn't been worth remembering for well over 10 years.

Welcome to the 21st century.

For every pissed off consumer one might lose, there's one who is fed up with a competitor.

It's the consumer circle jerk swap. They all suck, they just swap customers.

Use Revo to remove all the crap proprietary program uninstallers choose to leave behind.

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

On 3/27/2010 5:42 AM RonB spake thus:

Norton *is* a virus so far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I agree, Norton has been a 'virus' for a long time to me also.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I gave up on Norton (and agreed with the virus part) when it took me almost 4 hours to get the residual of one version out (after running what they laughingly called "uninstall") to the point I could put in the next version without conflicts.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Your are absolutely correct.

---------------------- Ed?

Do you need to take a pill or anything?

:^}

Reply to
RonB

First, are you sure it's Norton?

Second, uninstalling Norton is insufficient. You must use their sooper-sekret removal tool available only from their website. Then you must scan your registry for all mention of "Norton" or "Symantec." Then you have to delete - often only in Safe Mode - all of the directories and folders Norton set up.

Only then can you be 85% sure you've "removed" Norton.

Remember, Norton did not get its moniker of "Barnacle of the Software World" for nothing; it is a bitch to remove. Norton is a memory hog and uses as much as 15% of your CPU cycles.

There are MUCH better solutions available. Avast and, to a lesser degree, AVG come to mind. Microsoft's Security Essentials, also free, has gotten excellent reviews.

Reply to
HeyBub

Back when Peter Norton ran Norton - in the days of Norton Utilities, every product with the Norton name was top notch - as was his service. Since the Norton name has been taken over by Symantec the product is crap and the service even worse.

Reply to
clare

.

You are correct. A lot of good products have been destroyed by clever MBA business tactics.

Reply to
RonB

IIRC, Peter Norton stayed on staff for sometime after he sold the business. In those days his face was on the product box. A face with a good product - how novel :-/

Reply to
Oren

It took courage, you have to admire that. Wild Turkey Rare Breed on the rocks is called for here.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah. Agree.

And I gave up drinkin' for lent.

^%#%#$%^

Reply to
RonB

Probably just as well: Although Norton is good prosuct, people that simply install it without RTFM or setting it up properly aren't popular customers either, I"m sure. Oh, and also, a paid-for, installed verstion of Norton did not pop-up an (un-named by you) icon onto your desktop nor do they do covert software installs. I suspect you may still have malware floating around unless it had only attached itself to a Norton program; most unusual. You did use their removal tool to uninstall, right?

With no OS, revision levels, setup info, or any other data included, your post has no more value other than a frustrated sour grapes newbie description and maybe a vent.

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne