OT: No more styrofoam. We're saved!

At my work cafeteria, they had clear plastic looking containers. Some kind of food product material, rice ? Felt like plastic. I never looked for a recycle mark. Should not need one ?

My deck is polystyrene, which is what styrofoam is made from. I hope it does not catch fire !!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

quoted text -

Where I live there is a recycle centre with around thirty different skips. You can spend an hour going round them dropping stuff off. Most superstores have a sort of mini recycle centre too.

Reply to
harry

Locally here the stuff is mechanically sorted and then goes down a conveyor for manual picking. I think this is the sort of work should be done in prisons.

Reply to
harry

There are major problems with air pollution especially with plastics. All kinds of scrubbers have to be fitted to clean the combustion gases from incinerators.

harry

That's the problem. Most is used once and thrown away. Which has to be inefficient use of resources.

Reply to
harry

The WTE plant here burns very clean. On a par with the nat gas plant.

When you compare it to the pollution of trucking the recycle 600 miles, it is a whole lot cleaner than any of the alternatives.

Reply to
gfretwell

It has fire retardant additives and meets all the required codes for burn rate. Put a torch to it and it will burn, take the torch away and it will go out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

True. But people don't like incinerators nearby.

Reply to
harry

Prisoners in the UK mostly sit on their arses and watch TV

Reply to
harry

You would never know this one was there if they didn't have a sign. There is no smoke or smell coming from it. You might think it was some kind of grain silo or something.

Reply to
gfretwell

You can blame the unions and trade organizations for that here. They don't want the competition. When I was an inspector I did a lot of work in the Florida prison system. They had guys doing electrical work (usually electricians in on drug busts) but they could not even do work for the other state agencies, only within the prison system itself. That resulted in guys like park rangers thinking they were electricians.

Prisoners are limited to doing unskilled labor like picking up trash and clearing brush outside the wire.

Reply to
gfretwell

There's probably some f***g EU law against that. Yuman rites or something.

Reply to
harry

Huh. There's a standing joke over here that if you're a poor pensioner that's really hard up and ill, the best thing is to commit a crime. In jail, the state will look after you far better. When you get out of jail, commit another crime to get back in ASAP.

I hear you have 1% of the population in jail. Must be like the Ritz in your jails.

Reply to
harry

Per Oren:

Paid work by prisoners seems to invite dangers of it's own:

(PeteCresswell)

We separate nothing here. It all goes in the trash. They will take cardboard separately (so it doesn't take space in the trash barrel) but there is no requirement to do so.

Reply to
krw

The prison farm system grows ALL the food the prisoners eat with a very few exceptions (pepper, coffee, tea, etc.). They also grow their own cotton, gin, and mill it to make all manner of cloth stuff.

As to the prisoner's other endeavors, I recommend you visit the Texas Correctional Industries web site. The stuff they make is utterly unbelievable in its variety.

  • Jail clothes
  • Engraved mugs
  • Auditorium seating
  • Bus renovation
  • Lockers
  • Ornamental fencing
  • Mattresses

Just under the classification "Janitorial"

  • Bar soaps
  • Liquid hand soaps
  • Seven kinds of liquid detergents
  • Four kinds of powder detergents
  • Three kinds of floor wax and sealers

They do

  • Graphics (signs, printing, cardboard boxes, etc.)
  • Janitorial products (see above)
  • Garmet / Textile (apparel, bedding, leather (including saddles))
  • Modular office systems
  • Furniture
  • Metal working (truck beds, trailers, toilets, security, shelving, etc.)
  • Misc (tire retreading, computer recovery, etc.)

Link - with pictures of their products and everything.

The Texas budget for prisons is about $3.3 billion and covers 155,000 inmates. This works out to about $21,000 per year or $58 per day for each inmate.

Sources say it costs about $47,000 per year or $128/day to do the same job in California.

Now if Texas offered to house California inmates at, say, $93/day, both states would come out ahead! Don't know why they don't do it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Bullshit. You have not spent much time in prisons. I was a state inspector for 8 years and more than half of my inspections were in prisons. SOME inmates learn something useful. Most just learn how to be better criminals. It is fairly clean and sanitary but there is plenty of trouble. I saw a guy get killed once. Nobody even seemed that surprised. They just hustled me out a sally port before the place was locked down so they would not be paying me $60 an hour to drink coffee in the blockhouse.

Reply to
gfretwell

State electrical inspector (contractor). I doubt OSHA even has jurisdiction.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is ironic, in its own peculiar way, to drive past one of these prison cotton farms in the late afternoon. You'll see a couple of guards, on horseback, carrying shotguns. They're watching over lines of black inmates, hoes on their shoulders, marching back to the lock-up for dinner.

Reply to
HeyBub

Are the hoes made of styrofoam?

(My feeble attempt to steer this thread back to the original subject.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03