OT: No more styrofoam. We're saved!

Page 2 of 3

Are the hoes made of styrofoam?
(My feeble attempt to steer this thread back to the original subject.)
Naah, the horses are styrofoam. But, not for long in NYC.

Are the hoes made of styrofoam?
(My feeble attempt to steer this thread back to the original subject.)

Does that make you feel all warm, cudley and green? Goody for you.

Where I live there is a recycle centre with around thirty different skips. You can spend an hour going round them dropping stuff off. Most superstores have a sort of mini recycle centre too.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:53:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

We separate nothing here. It all goes in the trash. They will take cardboard separately (so it doesn't take space in the trash barrel) but there is no requirement to do so.

These are NOT styrofoam.
http://www.greenlinepaper.com/kitchen-restaurant/containers/ecoware-clam-shell-p245.html
Greg

http://www.greenlinepaper.com/kitchen-restaurant/containers/ecoware-clam-shell-p245.html

And your point is...?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

If they ban styrofoam by name, there will be no difference. "Styrofoam" is a trademarked name for molded polystyrene. Other companies can manufacture the identical product under a different name.
The concept is similar to "Sheetrock" vs. drywall.

Close, but no. Styrofoam is extruded foam sheets, it is not molded. I've been in the eps molding business for the past 43 years and we do not use Dow Styrofoam.
Polystyrene foam is a good energy source in trash to energy plants. It contains 18,000 BTU per pound.

Just like most evil plastic packaging. That is why we just burn it.

The ecoware clam shell is made out of waste sugar cane. It breaks down to harmless stuff pretty quick. Styrofoam, not so much. In fact, never.
--
Dan Espen

I was simply asking what was the point of providing a link to something that was not made of styrofoam in a thread that was discussing the banning of styrofoam. Providing a link to a ziplock bag and saying "This is not styrofoam" would have been just as useful - and just as pointless.

Oh, that part.
The point is, if they ban Styrofoam, we can use this stuff instead. I believe we already use of lot of biodegradable stuff.
I have no idea how much Styrofoam is being used now, but I can't think of anything I want that's made out of Styrofoam...
--
Dan Espen

At my work cafeteria, they had clear plastic looking containers. Some kind of food product material, rice ? Felt like plastic. I never looked for a recycle mark. Should not need one ?
My deck is polystyrene, which is what styrofoam is made from. I hope it does not catch fire !!
Greg

It has fire retardant additives and meets all the required codes for burn rate. Put a torch to it and it will burn, take the torch away and it will go out.

That's the problem. Most is used once and thrown away. Which has to be inefficient use of resources.

Not really. I've read the science from both sides. Pretty much a draw when compared to other materials. Plastics are visible and people get all emotional.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:28:48 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

It would make more sense to burn they even if dirty in a trash to energy plant. Plastics have good energy content and burns hot enough to get the rest of the garbage going.

There are major problems with air pollution especially with plastics. All kinds of scrubbers have to be fitted to clean the combustion gases from incinerators. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrubber
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:50:53 -0800 (PST), harry

The WTE plant here burns very clean. On a par with the nat gas plant.
When you compare it to the pollution of trucking the recycle 600 miles, it is a whole lot cleaner than any of the alternatives.