OT: No more styrofoam. We're saved!

Page 1 of 3
Mayor Bloomberg of New York, after banning salt, large soft drinks, and kittens, has now proposed banning Styrofoam take-out containers.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/14/new-york-city-mayor-bloomberg-to-announce-wants-to-ban-styrofoam/
All Chinese restaurants in the city will most assuredly close.
Since Styrofoam MAY be hazardous to our health, it is something that must go the way of lead paint. (I'm not kidding. He actually made that analogy.)
> Mayor Bloomberg of New York, after banning salt, large soft drinks, and > kittens, has now proposed banning Styrofoam take-out containers. > > http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/14/new-york-city-mayor-bloomb ... > > All Chinese restaurants in the city will most assuredly close. > > Since Styrofoam MAY be hazardous to our health, it is something that must go > the way of lead paint. (I'm not kidding. He actually made that analogy.)
It's been a long time since I lived in NYC, but the Chinese restaurants where I live use paper containers for rice and plastic for the meals. However, a lot of non-Chinese restaurants still use styrofoam.
When you think about, it's not such a bad idea for reasons other than health. We use the plastic containers from Chinese takeout to store leftovers from the meals we cook at home. We keep them around until they eventually crack. I also use them around the shop for small parts, etc. Any styrofoam we get ends up in the garbage and then the landfill. At least the plastic containers get used for a period of time, after which they are put into the recycling bin. We can't recycle styrofoam food containers.
There's bound to be some environmental upside to eliminating styrofoam and going to paper and plastic since plastic is reusable and both paper and plastic are recyclable.
Per DerbyDad03: >There's bound to be some environmental upside to eliminating styrofoam >and going to paper and plastic since plastic is reusable and both >paper and plastic are recyclable.
And I am guessing that there is some science on the advisability of using styrofoam.... not that I care that much... but Bloomberg is no dummy and I'll bet he is basing his ideas on something pretty solid.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 08:05:42 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

You must not be burning the recycle there.
The only thing they take out here is glass and metal. I am not sure what happens to the glass but metal is money.
On Feb 14, 11:53 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

oted text -

For our weekly collection, we put clear/green/brown glass bottles, plastics # 1 - 7, metal cans and lids in one recycling bin container and just about any type of paper, cardboard, magazines, etc. in another.
There is also a drop off location where you can drop off anything from appliances to mercury to sneakers to wire coat hangers.
For hazardous waste (gas, chemicals, etc.) you have to make an appointment. I've had to schedule appointments over a month in advance and then wait in line for over an hour just to drop off a couple of gallons of nasty stuff. I wish it was easier. Based on the schedule and the lines, I know that a lot of people follow the rules, but I'll bet that a large number of people don't for the very same reasons.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:21:33 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

We have single stream recycling, one big barrel that the truck picks up. They manually pluck out the aluminum and glass, the steel is magnetically separated and they burn the rest.
Anything made of metal will disappear within a day if you set it on the curb (appliances etc) they have a special pickup for things the scrappers won't take (TVs and such)

Just curious...how much trash are they manually sorting? In other words, do you live In a rural area where the amount of weekly trash is "manageable" from a sorting perspective? I can't imagine manually sorting the trash in NYC or SF.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:41:24 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

They just sort the recycle, not the trash. There are places that have it all on single stream tho and it is usually a big city. (with lots of public employees)

Locally here the stuff is mechanically sorted and then goes down a conveyor for manual picking. I think this is the sort of work should be done in prisons.

Prisoners in the UK mostly sit on their arses and watch TV
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:38:27 -0800 (PST), harry

You can blame the unions and trade organizations for that here. They don't want the competition. When I was an inspector I did a lot of work in the Florida prison system. They had guys doing electrical work (usually electricians in on drug busts) but they could not even do work for the other state agencies, only within the prison system itself. That resulted in guys like park rangers thinking they were electricians.
Prisoners are limited to doing unskilled labor like picking up trash and clearing brush outside the wire.
On Feb 15, 5:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

on

he

Huh. There's a standing joke over here that if you're a poor pensioner that's really hard up and ill, the best thing is to commit a crime. In jail, the state will look after you far better. When you get out of jail, commit another crime to get back in ASAP.
I hear you have 1% of the population in jail. Must be like the Ritz in your jails.

State electrical inspector (contractor). I doubt OSHA even has jurisdiction.

I can understand that they have jurisdiction over the employees, the prisoners, not so much.

That was my contract rate, whether I was inspecting, driving or just cooling my heels waiting for someone to open the gate. Coffee was a treat ... to keep me from going home and starting the clock over again when they called back. Once is usually enough to get a speedier response next time.

on

he

There's probably some f***g EU law against that. Yuman rites or something.
Per Oren:

Paid work by prisoners seems to invite dangers of it's own: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convict_lease
--
Pete Cresswell

Bullshit. You have not spent much time in prisons. I was a state inspector for 8 years and more than half of my inspections were in prisons. SOME inmates learn something useful. Most just learn how to be better criminals. It is fairly clean and sanitary but there is plenty of trouble. I saw a guy get killed once. Nobody even seemed that surprised. They just hustled me out a sally port before the place was locked down so they would not be paying me $60 an hour to drink coffee in the blockhouse.

I was in inspector for the Florida Department of Management Services, the agency that handled ALL of the state building project permits and in the years 1996-2002, most were in the prison system. I inspected projects at Charlotte, Hendry, Desoto and Glades. Charlotte was the worst for violence from what I saw.
Oren wrote:

The prison farm system grows ALL the food the prisoners eat with a very few exceptions (pepper, coffee, tea, etc.). They also grow their own cotton, gin, and mill it to make all manner of cloth stuff.
As to the prisoner's other endeavors, I recommend you visit the Texas Correctional Industries web site. The stuff they make is utterly unbelievable in its variety. * Jail clothes * Engraved mugs * Auditorium seating * Bus renovation * Lockers * Ornamental fencing * Mattresses
Just under the classification "Janitorial" * Bar soaps * Liquid hand soaps * Seven kinds of liquid detergents * Four kinds of powder detergents * Three kinds of floor wax and sealers
They do * Graphics (signs, printing, cardboard boxes, etc.) * Janitorial products (see above) * Garmet / Textile (apparel, bedding, leather (including saddles)) * Modular office systems * Furniture * Metal working (truck beds, trailers, toilets, security, shelving, etc.) * Misc (tire retreading, computer recovery, etc.)
Link - with pictures of their products and everything. http://www.tci.tdcj.state.tx.us/
The Texas budget for prisons is about $3.3 billion and covers 155,000 inmates. This works out to about $21,000 per year or $58 per day for each inmate.
Sources say it costs about $47,000 per year or $128/day to do the same job in California.
Now if Texas offered to house California inmates at, say, $93/day, both states would come out ahead! Don't know why they don't do it.
Oren wrote:

It is ironic, in its own peculiar way, to drive past one of these prison cotton farms in the late afternoon. You'll see a couple of guards, on horseback, carrying shotguns. They're watching over lines of black inmates, hoes on their shoulders, marching back to the lock-up for dinner.