OT: Newsgroup reader

Page 1 of 3
As I continue my advancement into the technological computer world, I will soon be ridding of my desktop containing Windows XP and Outlook express and joining the laptop and Windows 8 crowd, I am in search of a newsgroup reader since Outlook express is no mas for the newer windows versions.
Any suggestions for a good, preferably free, reader, but will consider a low cost one if free isn't feasible.
Gracias
BTW, I'm not needing anything fancy such as binary reading or other special features, I simply read, post, reply/respond.
Thanks

In this case, probably go for Thunderbird or some other free newsreader. You don't need to pay for one if this is all you do.
On 3/8/2013 8:59 PM, Meanie wrote:

Thunderbird?
On 3/8/2013 9:17 PM, gonjah wrote:

I've tried a number of newsreaders over the years and I've settled on Thunderbird because it's simple and easy to use. ^_^
TDD

I liked using it, until I deleted all my mail. I then went back to separate reader.
Greg
On 3/8/2013 9:40 PM, gregz wrote:

I don't use it for Email, just a newsreader but there is a backup program for Mozilla programs. I use Gmail and Hotmail. ^_^
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mozbackup/
TDD

At the time, my university server people redid my mail from their backup !!
Always backup, I say in my mind.
Greg
On 3/9/2013 8:24 PM, gregz wrote:

I use MozBackup when I move from one computer to another. I don't have to reset news servers, settings and preferences. If you use a number of different machines as I do it's perfect for transferring your activities from one to another. ^_^
TDD

Me too.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/
On 3/8/2013 10:17 PM, gonjah wrote:

See:
https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/does_thunderbird_work_in_windows_8
Apparently usable but not fully compatible yet, it is free though. Thunderbird is my news reader and email app of choice but like all software it has its warts. I also use Firefox as my browser as the various Windows' offerings over the years never caught on here.
Or Forte Agent for $29:
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php
Used (and still have) an ancient paid for version of Agent but still prefer Thunderbird which has a more modern UI. Agent kind of reminded me of using Windows for Workgroups and although they still offer a free version I always found it was crippled in some fashion. No doubt its since been modernized but then again Thunderbird is free, highly configurable, constantly updated and does the job.
John
On 3/9/2013 7:06 AM, John wrote:

https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/does_thunderbird_work_in_windows_8

I've used Thunderbird since it came out and whatever Netscape or Mozilla made before T'bird.....have NEVER had the first issue with any of them. EVER. Outlook started as a POS and never improved much.

Tbird is an excellent cross-platform e-mail client, but Netscape/Mozilla/Tbird have never been that great for netnews. They've been better than MS Outhouse Express, but that's not saying a whole heck of a lot.

Agent is an excellent newsreader for Windows. I've used it since 1994, and am using v7 now. Gravity is also quite good, and it's free.
http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/
I wonder if the OP was forced into getting Windows 8? I've never actually met anyone who liked it. Everyone I talk to says they're sticking with Windows 7.
On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:49:35 -0400, Soupe du jour

I got an ad today for a new line of HP laptops. Most are sold downgradeable to W7. You know W8 has to suck when a major computer company touts downgradability.

Agent works with touch screen[*], even under Win7. Of course everything works with the touch screen, but...

[*] ThinkPad 230T (convertible/tablet)

I've been using AGENT newsreader for years. I think they have a free version, at least they used to.

I miss OE. It did everything I ever needed.
Now I use Forte Agent. There is a free version that will do the job for you.
On 03/09/2013 04:49 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I do too, Ed. A lot of people denigrate OE, but I had been using it for so long that my finger memory knew how to do *everything* by just hitting the keyboard.
Oh well, such is life. I'm using Thunderbird now, and getting by well enough.
Jon
On 3/8/2013 9:59 PM, Meanie wrote:

I use Thunderbird for email and news....made by Mozilla, best since the beginning of time :o) I chucked Outlook back in....was it '94?
On 3/8/2013 9:59 PM, Meanie wrote:

I use Thunderbird routinely. If you try it and don't like it, give xananews a try. It's a 2006 creation, but runs on Win XP and Win 7, free, has a different look and feel than Thunderbird, and does the job.