OT: Newsgroup reader

As I continue my advancement into the technological computer world, I will soon be ridding of my desktop containing Windows XP and Outlook express and joining the laptop and Windows 8 crowd, I am in search of a newsgroup reader since Outlook express is no mas for the newer windows versions.

Any suggestions for a good, preferably free, reader, but will consider a low cost one if free isn't feasible.

Gracias

Reply to
Meanie

BTW, I'm not needing anything fancy such as binary reading or other special features, I simply read, post, reply/respond.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

Thunderbird?

Reply to
gonjah

I've tried a number of newsreaders over the years and I've settled on Thunderbird because it's simple and easy to use. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I liked using it, until I deleted all my mail. I then went back to separate reader.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I don't use it for Email, just a newsreader but there is a backup program for Mozilla programs. I use Gmail and Hotmail. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've been using AGENT newsreader for years. I think they have a free version, at least they used to.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Me too.

Frank

See:

Apparently usable but not fully compatible yet, it is free though. Thunderbird is my news reader and email app of choice but like all software it has its warts. I also use Firefox as my browser as the various Windows' offerings over the years never caught on here.

Or Forte Agent for $29:

Used (and still have) an ancient paid for version of Agent but still prefer Thunderbird which has a more modern UI. Agent kind of reminded me of using Windows for Workgroups and although they still offer a free version I always found it was crippled in some fashion. No doubt its since been modernized but then again Thunderbird is free, highly configurable, constantly updated and does the job.

John

Reply to
John

I miss OE. It did everything I ever needed.

Now I use Forte Agent. There is a free version that will do the job for you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I use Thunderbird for email and news....made by Mozilla, best since the beginning of time :o) I chucked Outlook back in....was it '94?

Reply to
Norminn

I've used Thunderbird since it came out and whatever Netscape or Mozilla made before T'bird.....have NEVER had the first issue with any of them. EVER. Outlook started as a POS and never improved much.

Reply to
Norminn

I use Thunderbird routinely. If you try it and don't like it, give xananews a try. It's a 2006 creation, but runs on Win XP and Win 7, free, has a different look and feel than Thunderbird, and does the job.

Reply to
Peter

Windows Mail, which comes with Win8, can handle NNTP newsgroups.

Reply to
HeyBub

But how well? Windows Live is OK for reading, but sucks when you want to reply. It does not mark the quoted text like a real news reader or the older versions of OE.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Here's a list with links:

nb

Reply to
notbob

"Meanie" wrote in news:khe8fl$eoc$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

XNews - free and simple.

Reply to
Fay

The OP said he is running Windows 8.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

TB runs on Win 8 and is constantly updated which can be a problem for a paid reader or any paid software for that matter.

I use TB for mail and newsreader but previously was using paid Eudora for email but it would not handle email well on Vista and now defunct there were no cures for problems.

Not sure how Mozilla gets its support but besides donors there is the ad potential.

Might mention that news.mozilla.org is full of product discussion with a lot of their contributors discussing issues and guide to solving specific problems.

Reply to
Frank

I use TB too. With its various mostly free add-ons for calendar management and Contacts management, it gives much of the power of Outlook.

One paid add-on that I particularly like is BirdieSync. It automatically syncs your contact list and calendar on your smartphone with those in TB, whenever you plug your smartphone into your computer.

Reply to
Steven L.