OT? -- Newsgroup Moderation Software/Programs

Page 2 of 2
On 3/11/2016 2:25 PM, TomR wrote:

But folks have to *do* something to GET access to USENET. I.e., they have to go find an NNTP server (paid or free). So, why can't they know (i.e., "be told") to use this particular server to gain access to this particular group?
Or, do you just want people to "stumble" onto your group while they are browsing the hierarchy of available groups?
If they want to watch/participate in any of the available fora (which is what has taken USENET's place, for the most part), they have to *find* the particular forum of interest and visit a specific URL with their browser. This doesn't seem to bother them (based on the traffic I see at many fora). And, while there, they have nothing telling them about *other* fora that they might be interested in visiting...
The difference between forum-based and NNTP-based (as well as email based) dialogues is that the former tend not to be threaded. You just see posts in the order they were received and have to mentally sort out who is replying to whom (by contrast, email and news are threaded so each reply is tied to a previous message). IMO, this is what makes forum-based interaction clumsy.

You might also be vulnerable to the author being disinterested in maintaining that service, forward-going. And, of course, someone (you?) will have to shell out $$ for the service... (what happens when YOU get tired of paying for it?)
I don't mean to discourage you but, rather, give you a heads-up to what lies ahead. Moderation is a thankless task -- regardless of how it's done (if *you* are the entity that people associate with "moderation", then *you* will be the one getting an earful about problems with the "service", etc.).
@RBowman: why are you NO LONGER moderating the group you mentioned?

Yes, but a human being needs to decide that something is "sick"; it's relatively difficult to make a "program" come to that conclusion. So, it *will* get past your "censor".

Good luck!
I'm off to pay-back yet another favor (with a gross of pecan sandies).
In typed:

There would be no way for me to "tell" people anything because I would be relying on them finding the newsgroup that interests them in the same way that you and I and other found this newsgroup -- which you answered below. I would have no plans to advertise the newsgroup.

Yes, that's how I found this newsgroup -- by searching the hierarchy of available groups.

I do know the difference between forum-based and NNTP-based groups, and about email "listservs", etc. For this idea, I am only interested in an NNTP-based newsgroup that can be found in the hierarchy of available groups.
My only interest is in whether a "moderated" NNTP-based newsgroup can be set up where much of the moderation is automatic and the group flows smoothly and posts appear quickly for all of the "whitelisted" posters.
And, yes, we could go around and around about the definition of sick, twisted, trashy, completely off topic posts. I would have no interest in screening out anything except for the really sick, twisted, trashy, and completely off topic posts. And, people could whine and complain until the cows came home about the moderation process. I would just ignore all of the complaints and not respond.
Hi Tom,
On 3/13/2016 9:12 AM, TomR wrote:

Then I suspect you will see much less interest/participation than you might, otherwise. Folks don't come to USENET, in general, when they can GET to a web site that will give them pretty much the same information. "Click on this link and you're AT the information you seek" instead of "set up a news account on some public server (which YOU will have to find) and *then* go hunting for the information you seek".
[Or, post through google groups -- ick!]

I think you'll find that groveling through the USENET hierarchy is an obsolescent means of finding information/forums. Nowadays, people search for topics (e.g., "home repair") and get pointers to dozens (hundreds?) of forums and other sources of related information.

The answer is yes. But, in practice, you will find the answer becomes "no" -- unless you have someone who wants to take responsibility for keeping that working. Someone has to "take ownership" for it to work. And, once that <someone> gets tired of the job, things fall apart -- unless you can rope someone else into the role.

You'd be much different than *most* of the moderators, then! :> Most folks quickly tire of the "ingratitude": "F*ck it! No one is PAYING me to put up with this sh*t!"
As I said before, "good luck". But, don't be surprised if you become disillusioned/jaded in the process. :<
On 03/08/2016 09:40 AM, TomR wrote:

https://www.algebra.com/~ichudov/stump/
I was a moderator and we used stump. It wasn't free but it made it very easy for multiple moderators to screen the posts.
On 3/8/2016 10:36 PM, rbowman wrote:

I don't understand -- "wasn't free". Was someone hosting the service for you (i.e., actual dollars changing hands)? Or, do you intend "not free" as in "not effortless"?
On 03/09/2016 12:15 AM, Don Y wrote:

https://www.algebra.com/~ichudov/stump/hosting/
We used ReadyStump -- let Igor do the maintenance and hosting.
On 3/9/2016 8:37 AM, rbowman wrote:

Ah, OK. I always built my own binaries for these sorts of things (also let me "fix" the inevitable blemishes that would turn up)
In typed:

Thanks. You posted two links:
https://www.algebra.com/~ichudov/stump/
https://www.algebra.com/~ichudov/stump/hosting/
I had seen the first one before, but I don't think I ever saw the second one before. The second link is worded in a way that is easier for me to understand.
If I recall correctly, I think I tried writing to Igor or whoever it is to ask some questions about how the service works. And, I don't think I ever got a reply back.
At the time, I was think of creating a moderated group using their paid hosting service.