OT: Newsgroup client suggestions

Page 4 of 5  


Well, the IQ of the room will go up considerably as soon as you leave. This topic has been discussed to death here again and again. And it boils down to the guys who won't pay for binaries. And the guys who accept substandard service of some kind or another.
Having somebody come by and start whining about it isn't going to change anything. Why is is so important to you? I don't need to read your incessant whining. I will just ignore this thread from now on.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lee Michaels wrote:

So when a dolt has a retarded conversation with me, I'm the one at fault?

Yes, and my basic 2 questions have not really been answered by anyone:
1) why use a paid usenet server to read/write to text newsgroups? 2) why is eternal september better than aioe?

Um, no it doesn't.
If you want binaries - you have to pay for them.
If you want text - WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PAY FOR THEM?

I'd really like to know what you mean by substandard service, and who per chance is providing it?

Asking questions and pointing out when others evade them is not whining.

Why is it so important that you not answer the questions and even more, that you want me to stop asking?

Nobody's forcing you to cry like a baby in protest to my questions.

I accept your surrender of this argument to me.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, but dismissing every answer you've received clearly shows you don't really want any answers to your constantly evolving questions, you jes wanna argue. Sorry, but I already have one Alzheimers mom for that.
nb
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/28/2011 9:03 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Not likely.

Every topic has been discussed to death. In fact, bringing up that lame argument has been discussed to death...
And it

That's plain bogus. First, I use a free server, Eternal-September and have not had any problems, no dropped mail, nothing. Second, I pay for Astraweb for my binaries. So I use both free and paid, just on that, you are wrong.

Whining has been discussed to death on here, again and again. Whining about it won't change a thing. BTW, After reading about Astraweb on here over and over, and over, I finally decided to try it out. So for me, and I'm sure others, things did in fact change because of repeated posts on the subject.

--
Jack
Add Life to your Days not Days to your Life.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

[sneck]
You, sir, "Don't know what you don't know". <grin>
It has been -proven- that Eternal-September has been 'over-aggressively' (and ERRONEOUSLY) filtering out at least some 'legitimate' postings, since early June of this year, IN A NEWSGROUP YOU PARTICIPATE IN.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/29/2011 10:33 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

I understand, but, when I participate in a thread, I think I know when a thread is missing messages. I have not noticed it ever with E-S.

I know they updated their spam filter in June and a few shaky posts may have been filtered, but this was known and supposedly looked into. I never noticed even a blip.
I get 14 text newsgroups from E-S and have not noticed any problems. Granted, I don't read every message, but when I participate in threads, I would sooner or later notice replies to messages I never saw. Hasn't happened to me once with E-S that I recall, but did happen just once with Astraweb.
If it doesn't happen enough for me to recall, then it is too rare to worry about.
--
Jack
Add Life to your Days not Days to your Life.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Your "failure to notice" only proves that you failed to notice. <grin.
*Other* eternal-september users -have- noticed, and publicly commented on the problem. One particular kind of legitimate posting was still being erroneously filtered out as of a little over a week ego.

oh Wow. such a -heavy- user. For comparison, I am subscribed to over TWO HUNDRED FIFTY _text_ newsgroups.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:26:09 -0600, Robert Bonomi wrote:

When do you do woodworking?
--
Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

A lot of them are very low volume. Like, less than a dozen messages a YEAR.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


And we all caught it on the replies and the provider fixed the problem. Dead Issue!
--
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah, some just keep repeating and repeating and ...
--
--

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/27/2011 9:54 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I don't know dick about aioe, but I don't like the idea of no username and password. Too wide open for abuse for me.
How's that?
--
Jack
Add Life to your Days not Days to your Life.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/28/11 11:42 AM, Jack wrote:

It isn't that open, the logging is pretty good, with aioe, the only problem I had with them years ago was a 25 post limit/24 hours per IP.
--
Froz...


The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/28/2011 11:51 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

What does "logging" mean? To me it means user name and PW, and Home Guy said he doesn't mess with username and password?
--
Jack
Add Life to your Days not Days to your Life.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/29/11 1:32 PM, Jack wrote:

They do log posts by IP, and will do do drop certain IPs as being valid to post from, it is pretty well run, but is just a hobby for the guy, so there is no guarantee of uptime, feed, and retention is just horrible etc.
--
Froz...


The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You don't suppose Home Guy ... Naaah, nobody would spam that much.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/29/2011 12:47 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Frozz! Wut up, eh?! ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

One must admit that the name 'eternal september' is a bit of a joke; while the service they provide is anything but.
(In the early days of usenet, when most users were educational institutions, every september a new crop of freshmen would be introduced to usenet, and the next couple of months were crazy newbie time. When ISP's started offering NNTP feeds, usenet entered the "eternal september" zone, all newbies all the time).
scott
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
SBH wrote:

Change ISPs. And tell your current provider why.
You are NOT locked in to the ISP provided by the company that owns the pipe. My cable provider is Comcast, but I use Earthlink as my ISP. Earthlink provides Giganews at no additional charge.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

Interesting. I didn't know that but I decided to check it out because I have always resented the fact that Comcast and Verizon both killed off their Usenet service that used to be included with my Internet service. I have Comcast now and, based on what you wrote, I thought I would check to see if I could change to EarthLink for Internet.
Unfortunately, when I went to EarthLink.com I found out that the only Internet service they have in my area is DSL and Satellite. I can't use my Comcast cable Internet service or Verizon FIOS (if I had that) to get EarthLink Internet service. I assume that it is available elsewhere as you have suggested, but not where I am located.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.