OT: New Texas laws in effect today

HeyBub wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/shooting-hogs-helicopters-fishing-hands-five-perry-approved-170245980.html * Children may no longer ride in a towed watercraft (on the highway) (dogs evidently okay) [anti-redneck law] * Minors sending nekkid pics of themselves now face only misdemeanor charges, unless in a "dating relationship" in which case there is no penalty (but that's how girls GET into a "dating relationship"! Jeeze!) [another anti-redneck law] * Use of caltrops is now prohibited (those spikey things that look like children's jacks used to deflate tires of pursuing vehicles) [anti-moonshiner law] * You can use your Concealed Handgun License as official identification when voting, but you STILL can't carry a weapon into a polling place * Anyone can now carry a firearm in a boat, as long as it's in plain view (the firearm, not the boat)
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/09/texas_new_odd_laws.php

Zat mean being in a boat trumps a CCW?
Can kids ride in towed boat if sharing lewd pictures while playing jacks and holding a shotgun?
Them whacky Texans! ;)
nb

I learned how to put LEOs at ease 50 yrs ago. If you get pulled over, roll down your window and put both hands on the window sill, like you're gonna open the door. Puts 'em at ease cuz it shows them you have nothing in your hands. In fact, you might actually open the door a tad, in which case they will probably say, "Remain in the car, please". This is better cuz it looks like your a first-time violator and don't know the drill. It's all brilliantly explained in exquisite detail in the book, The Naked Ape by Desond Morris (1967). Check your library. ;)
nb

I just open the window, then keep my hands on the wheel until we start talking. Doing that hands on the window sill would give me a crick in the neck. I wonder when the "stay in the car" started. First time I heard it was about 30 years ago. Before that I got out and we usually met about halfway. Seems for a lone motorist it's easier for the LEO to size that up. I suppose the LEO's worked this out in stop "procedures." Maybe it's for the safety of the motorist - not getting hit by a car. Just don't know.
--Vic

About 20 yrs ago. That's why I sligthly modified DM's advice. ;)
nb
HeyBub wrote:

I misread the law on boats and guns. You can have a gun in your boat if it is kept out of sight, not in plain view as I originally reported. Sorry for the confusion.
I think it's kind of difficult to use a gun if you can't see it, but then I'm not a member of the legislature. Maybe they see things differently.

Can you use yer dick?
nb

Is this like "Take your daughter to work day"?

But they can still ride in the back of the pickup, right? Even if they're in a crib.

If you can't see the boat, how can you see the firearm?

micky wrote:

Wife: "Honey, run to the market and pick up a carton of milk. If they have eggs, bring back a dozen."
Twenty minutes later the husband returns with 12 cartons of milk.
Wife: "Why did you buy a dozen cartons of milk?!"
Husband: "They had eggs."
On 9/2/2011 9:05 AM, HeyBub wrote: (snip)

usual one about programmers needing another line on the 'lather->rinse-> repeat' instructions on the shampoo bottle.)
--
aem sends...

HeyBub wrote:

The 85 MPH thing intrigues me. Is that only on I-10 and I-20, west of I-35? (and maybe I-40 up in the panhandle)
-Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

The new limit will be the result of "studies" conducted by people who conduct studies and will probably apply only to desolate sections of interstate highways. For the rest, the limit will be 70 or 75 mph.
Best guess is your guess will end up being correct.