OT: new mattress

Page 2 of 2

I've had my Kingsdown "Emerald Crown" mattress for 15 years now... Still as firm as when I bought it. It felt the same in the showroom as the lower priced Sealy's - UNTIL I turned sideways... The Kingdown had more give for my hips and shoulders and was much more comfortable. Also has a 25 year total replacement (not prorated) warranty.
It cost me just over $1000, even if it totally failed today, that's only $66 per year.

Had a Simmons Beautyrest for over 20 yrs. The mattress was still good but the box spring sagged badly and the fabric was thrashed.
Decided to try a Sealy Plushtop from Costco (king). Ordered it and it was delivered about a week later. Right from the start, the springs creaked and crunked when I turned over. After a four of weeks of that, back it went and we got a new Simmons Backcare plushtop King. It was $ 100 more than the Sealy but its a great nights sleep and I expect it may be the last mattress I'll buy.
We splurged on some 100% Egyptian cotton 480 thread sheets..Nice !
My backaches seem to be caused from my back getting cold overnite. It stiffens right up. Once I get up and move around, it goes away
I personally prefer the soft side Water bed, non heated and King size. It looks and is the size of a traditional Mattress. The firmness is adjustable and it is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Michelle
badgolferman wrote:

badgolferman wrote:

That's because the mattress is too hard. For decades, we have been told we need "firm" mattresses. A total crock IMO...what we need are mattresses soft enough to conform to the shape of the body regardless of its position. Ever slept on the ground? Pretty uncomfy. Dig a hip hole and it is much better.
However, you don't (necessarily) want a mattress so soft that it starts bending you as well as conforming. I say "necessarily" because a hammock does just that yet I find them comfortable (for back sleeping).
The degree of softness needed depends on your body weight too; a bit of a difficulty if you sleep with someone half your weight. Personally, 200 lb., 72 year old, arthritic me and my 100 lb. wife find a water mattress - one with gel or fiber baffling to prevent sloshing - with a soft, squishy feather topper to be best for us.
Speaking of mattresses, has anyone ever found a comfortable one in a motel/hotel? To me, they are like rocks.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

Always try out a bed before you buy it. Experts recommend that you look primarily at mattresses and boxsprings made by one of the four major bedding manufacturers, Simmons, Sealy, Serta and Stearns & Foster. It is important to buy a mattress with the proper firmness. A decent full-size mattress needs to have at least 312 coils to provide good support. Believe it or not, a firm mattress is actually comfortable for most people. In the store, take off your shoes and lie down on the mattress for 30 minutes. Bring a magazine if you need to. It's a big purchase. You can't compare mattress prices. The mattress industry gives the same mattresses at different stores different names and model numbers in order to prevent competition. You just have to identify a mattress you like and perhaps wait for a sale at that store.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, 5/6/2005, 9:15:15 PM, wrote:

I have been considering one of these from the Original Mattress Factory. Does anyone have anything to say about them? http://www.originalmattress.com/products/p_matbox.asp
--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

Always try out a bed before you buy it. Experts recommend that you look primarily at mattresses and boxsprings made by one of the four major bedding manufacturers, Simmons, Sealy, Serta and Stearns & Foster. It is important to buy a mattress with the proper firmness. A decent full-size mattress needs to have at least 312 coils to provide good support.
Who are these experts? Why can't some other company make a good mattress? What if it only has 310 springs? Will your ass hit the floor from lack of support?
Do these same experts tell you to buy a car only from the big three and not new upstarts like Toyota?

I also got a kick out of that. Even as a happy S&F owner, I'll be the first to admit the mattress industry is second only to used car dealers in sleaze factor.. If one were to try and find exactly who these "experts" are, the trail will probably lead to a group of Serta/S&F/Sealy/Simmons dealers.
It should also be noted that all the best mattresses today do NOT come from ANY of these major manufacturers. The best beds are handmade by small companies and cost $5-6K or more.