OT: new mattress

Reply to
Michelle P

Who give a damn how you sleep? I'm concerned about how I sleep and no one else. My goal is not to emulate you, but to have a restfull night sleep in the same bed as my wife. Just because you don't understand something does not mean the need does not exist.

Are you sure the covers are over your head? Sounds more like your head is up your ass. I could never understand why anyone would wnat a longer bed and I'm 6' tall.

But a mattress of some materials can give the feeling of additinal warmth becuase of the insulating qualities.

Weight is a factor, but moreso is personal prefference.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My sister-in-laws have some really crappy mattresses for the guests. I now drag the mattress into the living room and place them directly on the floor and NOW get a good nights sleep. Sure, it pi**es them off, but I don't care.

What I'm saying is that crappy box springs can ruin a good mattress.

Reply to
JimL

That's because the mattress is too hard. For decades, we have been told we need "firm" mattresses. A total crock IMO...what we need are mattresses soft enough to conform to the shape of the body regardless of its position. Ever slept on the ground? Pretty uncomfy. Dig a hip hole and it is much better.

However, you don't (necessarily) want a mattress so soft that it starts bending you as well as conforming. I say "necessarily" because a hammock does just that yet I find them comfortable (for back sleeping).

The degree of softness needed depends on your body weight too; a bit of a difficulty if you sleep with someone half your weight. Personally,

200 lb., 72 year old, arthritic me and my 100 lb. wife find a water mattress - one with gel or fiber baffling to prevent sloshing - with a soft, squishy feather topper to be best for us.

Speaking of mattresses, has anyone ever found a comfortable one in a motel/hotel? To me, they are like rocks.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

=B7 Always try out a bed before you buy it. =B7 Experts recommend that you look primarily at mattresses and boxsprings made by one of the four major bedding manufacturers, Simmons, Sealy, Serta and Stearns & Foster. =B7 It is important to buy a mattress with the proper firmness. A decent full-size mattress needs to have at least 312 coils to provide good support. Believe it or not, a firm mattress is actually comfortable for most people. In the store, take off your shoes and lie down on the mattress for 30 minutes. Bring a magazine if you need to. It's a big purchase. You can't compare mattress prices. The mattress industry gives the same mattresses at different stores different names and model numbers in order to prevent competition. You just have to identify a mattress you like and perhaps wait for a sale at that store.

Reply to
nielloeb

I have been considering one of these from the Original Mattress Factory. Does anyone have anything to say about them?

badgolferman

· Always try out a bed before you buy it. · Experts recommend that you look primarily at mattresses and boxsprings made by one of the four major bedding manufacturers, Simmons, Sealy, Serta and Stearns & Foster. · It is important to buy a mattress with the proper firmness. A decent full-size mattress needs to have at least 312 coils to provide good support.

Who are these experts? Why can't some other company make a good mattress? What if it only has 310 springs? Will your ass hit the floor from lack of support?

Do these same experts tell you to buy a car only from the big three and not new upstarts like Toyota?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I also got a kick out of that. Even as a happy S&F owner, I'll be the first to admit the mattress industry is second only to used car dealers in sleaze factor.. If one were to try and find exactly who these "experts" are, the trail will probably lead to a group of Serta/S&F/Sealy/Simmons dealers.

It should also be noted that all the best mattresses today do NOT come from ANY of these major manufacturers. The best beds are handmade by small companies and cost $5-6K or more.

Reply to
Rick