OT: New interesting car battery problem (part two)

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 3:02:34 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:

IDK where you looked, but according to Kelly BB, I agree he got screwed big time. KBB has it at $3700 to $5000 for trade-in, ~$5600 for a private sale, if it's in good condition, which I think his easily met.
Even in fair condition, which would mean that it needs mechanical work, some body work, has some rust, etc, it would be $3200 to $4400 for trade, $5,000 for private sale. The only thing wrong with his was it probably needs a cat converter and the interior needs a good shampooing.
I don't think he bought on a whim really. He's always been risk adverse and he was just so worried about the check engine light and getting it through inspection. It's kind of funny really. He thinks he got one over on the dealer, by taking the car in during one of the periods when the engine light for the cat converter is not on. Meanwhile the reality is the dealer screwed him instead.

This site says ~ $ 4.000. Canadian wholesale. Convert to USA dollars and subtract something for the check-engine and cat. conv. issues ...
http://www.vmrcanada.com/canada_makes.htm
Most dealerships would send this car directly to the auction - - they were offering what they thought they would get ? John T.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:50:18 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I didnt' see that coming. I thought you'd say he bought a new cat.

Is that all! Good to know.

38 years ago a friend asked me what kind of tv to buy. I said I didn't know TVs but get one with electronic tuning, not mechanical. Those were just coming out then.
For years I thought they ignored my advice, but now I'm wondering: There was a knob to turn to change channles and there were detents, but the knob turned really easily, much easier than any other tv with mechanical tuning. Was it still mechanical or might it have been electronic?
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:16:25 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Where have you been for 3 months...we've missed your obscure and unrelated comments?
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:52:03 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:

...it's closer to 4 months...in Florida or a coma (what's the difference)?