OT: Netflix trying to dump their mail-based customers?

Page 3 of 3

wrote in

You're not as bad as I am. I turn over perhaps 6 a week, but after many years at the three-a-day plan, I've seen most of what I thought I had missed that was any good. I am looking at movies that Netflix itself recommends. A lot of those disks don't last 5 minutes when I realize they were junk. The heady days of seeing all the films I'd missed over the years is over and now I'm combing through review lists to find things I think I'd like.
So I've been thinking of dropping Netflix because of the long times and the lack of anything to watch anymore. I'm not drawn to whatever it is that Hollywood is trying to sell to teenage boys who will see a film 10 times and give them a big opening weekend. Terminator Salvation was a grainy, dull fart of a movie. I don't remember anything about Quantum of Solace, but I do remember the great opening chase scene from the one before it. Most modern films seem to be just tie ins to video games or feel like you're watching one.
-- Bobby G.
<stuff snipped>

That's a trend that I am noticing, too. I wonder if it's up to the local distribution point manager to order disks and they decide how many copies of "Inglorious Basterds" are available in any area.
I think I'll go looking for a DVD exchange group. I've got about 50 DVDs (legit originals!) I never really watch anymore but that I wouldn't mind exchanging with other people. Some of the movies that I liked best were ones that net friends turned me onto. I just bought the original "Raw Deal" from the 40's and some other noir films - Corman's "I, Mobster" and one I've forgotten for $6 each on Amazon.
Once I've seen them, I'm not so anal retentive that I can't pass them on. I'm finding that Netflix is striking out more and more in the harder-to-find and older DVDs, which really surprises me. At least ten times in the last month I went looking for films at Netflix that I knew were on DVD, but never made it to Netflix. They must of owned "I, Mobster" at some point because several reviews had renting widgets - click on the title and the movie is added to you queue without leaving the movie review site. Except in this case, instead of putting "I, Mobster" in my queue, it added "I Love Lucy, the Lost Episodes."
Don't you just love it?
-- Bobby G.

FWIW, a friend of mine just highly recommended Swaptree for this. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to check it out. They swap books and CDs, too.

<FWIW, a friend of mine just highly recommended Swaptree for this. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to check it out. They swap books and CDs, too.>
Great, I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the heads up. For anyone else interesting in how it works:
http://www.swaptree.com/WebFrmHowDoesThisWork.aspx
Looks pretty interesting!
-- Bobby G.