OT: Netflix trying to dump their mail-based customers?

Page 1 of 3

Forgive the OT intrusion, but I am looking to see if anyone else has noticed what I have.
I am thinking of quitting Netflix. I've been waiting for three DVDs for over two months. That's ridiculous. The wait times have been getting longer and longer.
They are spending all their money trying to become a movie download site, but today's ruling on the FCC and Comcast means the big ISPs aren't going to want to bear the cost of Netflix overloading their pipes. So, instead of buying enough DVDs to meet customer demand, tNetflix is buying enormous server farms and pushing the download of the many old and crappy movies in their catalog. They're robbing Peter to pay Paul, hoping that they can persuade people to stop having recent DVDs mailed out them (expensive) and instead be happy watching crappy old movies instantly (much cheaper).
Every time I log on now, they're pushing downloads as hard as they can, making it just a little harder to get to where I want to go on the site. You used to be able to jump to the search box as soon as it appeared, now you have to wait for the "download this movie now" propaganda to finish loading before the box becomes active.
I get the feeling that people like me, with slow connections, are being pushed out in favor of the downloading crowd, which costs Netflix far less money to serve because there's no postage, disks or disk handling involved. In fact, when I called and asked when I could leave without incurring another month's fee because I could not get the disks I wanted in a reasonable time, the agent said "we'll be sorry to see you go" but I got the strong feeling she really meant "we've been trying to dump you for a long time - finally you got the message."
It seems like so many tech companies, they are "pooching" their core customers who have been with them from the beginning so that they can change their business model in mid-stream.
I tried to suggest that they make a "HOV" lane where people who want a popular movie can pay an extra fee to move up the list but they don't seem to even want to hear suggestions from users anymore. They have eliminated several feedback channels, a sure sign that they're tiring of people telling them something they don't want to hear: "Don't forget or screw over the people who made you what you are today!"
They're losing focus on their core business, but since things are going well for them at the moment, they don't care. However, when Comcast and other ISP's slow down the Netflix downloads so that they're unwatchable, or impose download limits, Netflix will be looking for their old mail-based customers back. By then, they will be gone and not anxious to return to a company that basically stabbed them in the back and abandoned them.
Has anyone else who uses Netflix noticed the increasing number of films that are listed "short wait, long wait or fuggetaboutit, you're never going to get this movie this year"?
/Sermon over
-- Bobby G. - looking around for a good HD antenna and installer so that I can watch free HD TV instead of Netflix or cable.

No.
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 20:42:17 -0400, "Robert Green"

Blockbuster by mail turns my DVDs around in 2-3 days
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 20:42:17 -0400, "Robert Green"

Fuck Netflix !!!!
Anyone that uses them after all the lawsuits against them is an idiot. Go to your local movie rental store, keep your money in the local area rather than supporting these scamming and spamming crooks.

Stop thinking.
The sooner I can stop closing their antiquated pop-up windows, the better. -----
- gpsman
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 22:18:29 -0700 (PDT), gpsman

THAT'S why I hate them. But I mostly got rid of their popups in win98 by putting the high level part of the popup's url in the something file. It's one word, 4 or 5 letts long, with no extension, and I can't remember its name.
In WinXP doing the same thing got rid of them entilrely
Just one line.
I can't find it. I cdn't remember but someone will tell you what it's called. It's something like the hoods fle, the hods file, the hops file, the boss file, something like that.
P&M

HOSTS

Hosts file. I use that, plus Firefox with adblocker and NoScript and it makes using the site barely tolerable. Host files look for particular sites, like www.stupid_ads.com and whenever they see that URL, they just ignore it. So if you know what the URL of the popup is, you can add it to the host file and your browser won't allow any traffic from that site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
******************************************************** "Special entries in the hosts file may be used to block online advertising, or the domains of known malicious resources and servers that contain spyware, adware, and other malware. This may be achieved by adding entries for those sites to redirect requests to another address that is a dead-end or harmless destination. Often, the local (loopback) address 127.0.0.1 is used for such purposes, but this may result in conflicts[5] if local web services are installed. Various software applications exist that populate the hosts file with entries of undesirable Internet resources automatically." ********************************************************
There are a number of places on the net that collect all the URLs of spammers, trackers, ad sites, etc and put them in a hosts.txt file that you only need to copy into your Windows directory. Very easy, and on slow connections makes them seem very much faster because all the banner ads, animated gifs and other bandwidth hogging "features" disappear.
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:16:56 -0400, "Robert Green"

That's it!!!. Hosts, hoods, I was close!!!
See below.

I tried two of these and it prevent me even from loading somet of the tabs that were already open, that I wanted of course. So I went back to the file that the last sentence of the previous paragraph refers to, that was already there, and I just added the one name for the netflix popup., and that worked real well. But I"m not saying those files won't ge very good for some people.

mm wrote:

Sometimes when I have nothing better to do, I click on the Netflix pop-up dozens of times. Netflix pays the "host" on a per-click basis, so I'm driving up, in a small way, their cost of this form of advertising.

I never had to wait more than 2 days

Same here. If they don't have the top selection on my list, they immediately send the next one. If I report a defective, they send my next selection AND a replacement of the defective.
Frome the morning I put one in the mailbox to when I receive the next one is usually 3 days total.

As I told Rudy, I'd be interested to see how long it takes you to get something very popular like "Inglorious Basterds." It's been in my queue at number one since it's been released, and I believe that's over a month now.

Have you noticed how hard they are pushing the on-line viewing experience? Or are they just doing that in my area? I've read that they are afraid that cutbacks and cost increases at the post office is going to eat into their profits and they are betting heavily on on-line viewing. I also read in one of the trade mags that they are extended the number of times they rent a disk before retiring it, and I can attest to that being true - I've gotten some horribly scratched DVDs lately that just stall in my DVD player.
Are the movies you rent recent releases or older/offbeat titles? I have no problem getting the older/odd stuff, but real trouble getting newer and more popular releases.
I wouldn't mind paying more money to get to the top of the queue without waiting. That wouldn't be too hard to program - it's just like buying expedited shipping.
Thanks for your input, Salty.
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:26:47 -0400, "Robert Green"

A mix. There are so many movies I haven't seen that it doesn't bother me at all if I don't get a particular title in a hurry. Most movies don't have an expiration date. If I haven't seen a movie, it doesn't really matter if it was released last week or last century.
Netflix has costs in streaming movies, too. I've heard that some movies cost them up to $4 each time it gets streamed. I'm sure they want to have several options for as long as they can. I think DVD's by mail will be around for at least a few more years.

Go over to WalMart and get it from the REDBOX today for a buck

Great idea. Can you give me a lift? (-: It's only 32 miles round trip. And I guess you'll have to drive me back there to drop it off. Wait - isn't that why I signed up with Netflix, to have them mailed to me?
I like that there's no driving around or waiting in line at Blockbuster for them to print out a receipt with Netflix. I gave up on Blockbuster because they seem to hate printing out receipts almost as much as Sarah Palin hates Obama. Sadly I found that if you *don't* have them do it, it's their word against the customers - and they always win.
Back when I used them for VHS tapes, people would "fish" tapes out of the returns bin. Security was awful because there was no incentive for it to be any better. If someone swiped a tape you had just dropped off, you would end up paying an inflated replacement charge, making Blockbuster very happy. While I'm not happy with Netflix's failure to have enough copies of popular disks, I'm not so unhappy that I'd drive 64 miles to watch "Inglorious Basterds" or take up with BallBuster, king of the late fees, ever again.
Thanks for the suggestion Rudy, but I'll wait it out. I just don't understand why, with all their fancy pop ups, pop unders, pop arounds and floating windows Netflix can't add a feature that lets people pay a buck or two extra to bump them up in the queue or even offer a "premium" membership that insures that premium members get discs first.
Seems like a serious lost opportunity for them to make more money and keep their customers satisfied all at the same time. It may be a problem specific to my distribution center, or it could be an attempt to cull out people that return disks too quickly and cost them too much in postage. The customer rep told me the she, too, had been waiting a long time to see Inglorious Basterds, which makes me believe they aren't ordered enough copies of popular movies to meet the demand.
Or, they could even be under an allotment restrictions from the DVD makers themselves. I've read that they have some strange deals in place with various studios, some of whom who just might want to force someone like me to buy the DVD because I can't get it fast enough from Netflix. I know that they get special "rental only" grey colored discs for a lot of new movies.
-- Bobby G.

This is absolutely true! I've noticed it, as well. I got so frustrated with a run of unplayable disks that I chewed out one of their reps on the phone and ended up with several free rentals. Although I enjoyed having them, of course it doesn't address the actual issue. Kind of like the manufacturer that offers you a free coupon for more of a product you didn't like.
I've been a Netflix member for a long time -- maybe 10 years? Maybe more. For those who weren't around "back when," they actually did lose (I think; I don't remember if they lost or just settled) a class action lawsuit that alleged they were throttling customers with high disk turnover. Everyone who was part of the class (which did include me) got a free month.
By the way, I used my "move it to the top right away" trick and got Inglorious Basterds only a few days after it released. Just did the same with Up In the Air.

<This is absolutely true! I've noticed it, as well. I got so frustrated with a run of unplayable disks that I chewed out one of their reps on the phone and ended up with several free rentals.>
At least they have good phone support. But it's really annoying to get to the near end of a suspense film and then have to wait 3 days to find out how it ended. Since I have Polaroid DVR's that do a pretty good job of recording HD in the HQ modes, I am recording more and more OTA HDTV and one of the local channels has great B movies from the 70's that are an absolute hoot and look pretty good on my LCD-TV via HDMI. More importantly, both DVRs have commercial skip buttons. How's that for some alphabet soup?
<Although I enjoyed having them, of course it doesn't address the actual issue. Kind of like the manufacturer that offers you a free coupon for more of a product you didn't like.>
(-: My favorite is how when you find some glass in the salad ("the busboy broke a glass and we thought we got all of it" - REALLY HAPPENED!) they give you a coupon for your NEXT meal. Yeow! No next meal here, not never!
<I've been a Netflix member for a long time -- maybe 10 years? Maybe more. For those who weren't around "back when," they actually did lose (I think; I don't remember if they lost or just settled) a class action lawsuit that alleged they were throttling customers with high disk turnover. Everyone who was part of the class (which did include me) got a free month.>
Yeah, I got that deal - about a year after it was announced, BTW, which makes me think, like the banks, they've found a way around throttling as defined by that lawsuit to a more acceptable kind of throttling. "We can't rent you disks we don't have" has to be evaluated against how many disks they have of a certain movie versus the number of requests and how long a wait is reasonable or customary.
Maybe some hungry lawyer sees a business opportunity. I could use another $20. It's odd because I am complaining that I *can't* pay extra to expedite shipment, a service which every other vendor in the world offers, except maybe the power and water companies (for now!). That's a perfect case for bass-ackwards American jurisprudence: You won't let me pay you more money, so now you OWE me money. (-:
<By the way, I used my "move it to the top right away" trick and got Inglorious Basterds only a few days after it released. Just did the same with Up In the Air.>
I keep a lot of items in my SAVED queue, and I usually move it to the top as soon as it releases, but I might have messed up this time. IB has been in there so long I wonder if it's stuck. What do you think would happen if I removed it and added it again? Reset or drop to dead last?
It's not that I am dying to see the damn film so much that I would run around town looking for it. It's "how long is too long" to wait from a DVD rental company for a DVD? One month? It's been that. Two months? I'd say something was wrong if they couldn't supply a disk within a single billing period.
There was just a big flap about Netflix's release of publicly identifiable rental data, and from what I read, there are strong geographical preferences. One area could have an unusual demand for a movie, which, to their credit, they often send from a different rental center (probably to balance the load). So maybe my distribution center manager just didn't order enough Basterds.
-- Bobby G.

Put "Inglorious Basterds" in your queue and get back to me. It's been sitting in my queue since it was released. Their turnaround is generally good, but popular movies have been taking longer and longer.
The problem is that their business model makes them the best profit when someone checks out only one or two disks per month (I know a few people who are like that!) and that encourages them not to buy a lot of copies of new releases.
Thanks for your input, Rudy.
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:19:51 -0400, "Robert Green"

I have it. It took 3 days