OT Neighbor (rant)

Page 6 of 7
"RicodJour" wrote:

Actually, as long as the fence doesn't move about once it is set, it will be perfectly precise.
You are, however, correct that the cut may not be accurate, if it is indeed "impossible to align".
Jon

Operative phrase being "as long as the fence doesn't move about". How many cheap tablesaws have you encountered with good fences? In my ute I'd dick around with the adjustment and the thing would still move. You can't adjust a bad design and cheap construction to be quality.
But you already know that.

That is a lousy explaination of precision vs. accuracy.
I shoot some arrows into a target:
situation 1) they are all over the place: neither accurate or precise. situation 2) they are all within an inch of each other, but 10" from the bullseye: the shots are precise, but not accurate situation 3) they are scattered around the bullseye: accurate, not precise situation 4) they are all in the bullseye: accurate and precise.
AZ Nomad wrote:

My dictionary says they mean the same thing. Pretty much. Kinda'.

That's accurate, but not precise.
clipped

Well, there is "cheap" and there is economical. I furnished much of my first home with second-hand....country auctions and one delightful dive of an auction barn. Could buy a box of "junk" for fifty cents, and it might have ten dollars worth of cookie sheets and cake pans. A few slightly scarred but sturdy antiques....stayed at the auction barn until 4 am one night to buy a $2 library table. Cheap entertainment.

I was at a garage sale this weekend, several in fact, and one had a box with kitchen odds and ends - anything it was 10 cents. I picked up one thing that caught my eye, the lady asked me if I had a dime since she didn't have any change, and I didn't. "Just take it", she says. So I did. Got home a quick Google to see what I had, and was surprised to find this: http://www.thekitchenstore.com/023321073348.html
Other places have it cheaper, $70 or so, but who would pay that much for a very small pepper mill?!
Anyway, I'm not arguing and the thing is pretty cool looking.

Tag/Garage/Yard/Barn sales are great fun, and a good source for things you just can't buy anymore, at least not of the good quality they used to make things.
My best story happened over 20 years ago. I found an electric guitar, a Fender Jaguar, at a yard sale. I had one of those back in the sixties and always liked it, but mine was stolen. I bought the one at the yard sale for $10, and not in half-bad condition. At the time, we were paying an art student to do a portrait of the kids, and had agreed on a price of $300. When he saw that guitar, he said he'd take that instead of the money.
That portrait is now one of our most-loved possessions, but I don't have the final bragging rights. That artist put a psychedelic paint job on the guitar and sold it to a professional musician for $700. The going rate for an old 60's Jaguar like that is now well over 1K, so there are a lot of winners in this little remembrance.
Going back to the OP, I have a big mower because I have 5 mowable acres, but i got my Scag ZT used from a landscaper for $800, and that was many years ago.
K wrote:

Sounds like the Canadian dude who recently started with a paper clip and kept trading up 'til he got a house.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

transport themselves and a large beverage around was used. There is someone a few doors down from us who bought a megamower for a small lawn.

Though not retired , you and I are alot alike..I too "help" friends , neighbors , and family when I'm not working..Be it filling my elderly neighbors generator with gas at 1 am during an ice storm , pulling somebody out of the ditch in a snowstorm , or helping my dad and everyone else it seems , with their drywall taping or other project...Sometimes I get paid , sometimes I don't...Sometimes I get pissed when I don't even get a thank you...But I do it because I like helping people which is why I'm on this news group....Don't let one asshole get you down , just be ready with an excuse to say no the next time he slithers over to ask a favor....I've got a pile of firewood from clearing some trees on my property someone down on their luck is gonna get this fall..... : )

I'll bet the asshole had piercings and tattoos.
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:21:46 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,

It's possible, but dammed if I'm going to check out his asshole to find out.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

I've three standard answers for folks.
1) NO! (it won't happen, no way no how)
2) MAYBE! I'll look into it and get back to you )
3) YES! (means I keep my word)
People just cannot except NO for an answer.

You just did what any good person would do. But you did it for a person who doesn't have a clue.
I'm a retired welder. I have equipment, and do a lot of stuff for myself, and "friends". I don't broadcast it around. When the question comes up, I give a price, take it or leave it. None of this, "I'll do this for you later." I could be napping or fishing. When you get these new little yuppie creeps, they don't know how to do it, or they wouldn't be asking you. You just got in too far, too deep, and too soon. I can tell you're a right guy, you just hit a "taker" who took advantage of you.
Now for the payoff. You gonna let it happen again?
Steve

I disagree. Loaning a guy who just moved into the neighborhood a hand tool or giving him a ride to pick up his car is reasonable. Getting involved in an open ended project to build a whole new deck and install french doors because other neighbors sent them over is nuts. For all anyone knows, the new guy could have spent the last 10 years in jail.
In the situation discussed, I would have been willing to go over, take a look, spend an hour or so and give them some ideas and advice on how to proceed, but that's it. You start out small and see how and if they respond and how the relationship grows over time.

Far more likely, he does have a clue. He's figured out how to use people to get what he wants.

Exactly.

My forum is still open, waiting for alt.guitar to implode:
http://www.gearforumz.com /

When my neighbors found out I can repair computers, networks, or software I got several requests. I don't mind helping out, but nothing more than an hour. For $30 to mow is cheap, but for that particular neighbor there would be a $50 bench charge to look at their computer (other neighbors are free). I have said more than once, "I don't loan tools, but maybe you can check at Home Depot or Lowes." They usually don't ask again. My father painted all his tools bright pink and nobody asked to borrow them.
"L. Guteireze" wrote in message

I was going to say just that^
I get amused by these people they are so self centered these days. I have a young friend who wanted to borrow an instructional video from me. He wanted me to bring it to him! Out of curiosity I did so. I said he could borrow it for 2 weeks only as I needed it. 3 months later he finally called and said I COULD COME PICK UP MY VIDEO as he was done using it!
Then another one frequently calls me because I have a truck and wants me to pick up stuff which will fit in their Suburban. They don't want to get their vehicle dirty. They NEVER offer to pay me for gas or my time. Then I have spent all day at their house helping them with projects (free) and they NEVER offer me anything to drink or eat.
Anyway I'm learning the meaning of the phrase "You have to give to receive".
These people are doing absolutely no giving and the receiving part has come to an end!

The real question is, why do you keep doing it? Sounds like you need each other.