OT Neighbor (rant)

Page 5 of 7

yeah, it would really tick me off with a neighbor like that. Sadly, these days a lot of people of all ages are real dopes. Don't know if they plan it that way, or they are just for ME! Me! Me!
I suppose the only thing you can do is to be pleasant and wave to those people, but otherwise try to ignore them. Have a some excuses ready to say if the guy comes around again.
BTW, I hired out for a guy to mow my yard. He only charges $20 to mow and trim. I have a fairly large suburban lot.
RobertPatrick wrote:

I'm jealous. Around here, the quoted prices start at around $40, if they bother to call back at all. This is the small brown gentlemen in straw hats and old pickups, not the services with shiny trucks- they want $65 on up. I'd pay $20 in a heartbeat, every 7-10 days, just to avoid the lost night of sleep from my allergies that kick in at 0300 or so, even if I shower immediately after mowing. I'd even provide the mower and the gas. 2/3 acre, minus footprint of house and shed. Takes me about 2.5 hours with a mulching push mower, since it is so chopped up, and parts are sloped.
I don't see any teenagers mowing lawns around here- just the fellows described above, or white-haired retirees whose wives told them to go out and play, so they cut every 4 days. (That and some middle-age ladies that really, really, need to trade their riding mowers for push mowers, but we won't go there...)
Why did I buy a house again? Hey, OP- you have any cousins that live around here? I have a deck that needs a refresh real bad...
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

My neighbor's kid used to mow wearing a respirator just for that problem.

Dang! I'd pay good money to have you as another one of my neighbors! That lousy log-headed lamprey is a taker; simple as that. It wouldn't matter which generation he was attached to; he's looking for a free ride.
I've met a couple people like him in my short life and it's always a culture shock.
My FIL is now at the point in his life where he's starting to call people on their knot-headed behaviors, men, women, children, parents. I'm sure he's going to have a not-so-nice but very poignant observation about your "neighbor" -- he might even offer a suggestion (or three) since that type of leach really bothers him, too. <EG>
The Ranger

Chalk it up to yet another learning experience.
I have found, that until I really get to know someone I tend to be sociable but not social. It may take a while. I will wait.
Power tools do not get loaned unless it is an emergency and then I come with the tool. I had one neighbor who had a tree dropping leaves in his swimming pool. He wanted to borrow my chain saw so that he could climb up into the tree and trim some overhanging limbs. I told him flat out I would not be a party to that escapade.
Liability is an ugly word.
Charlie
Even then you can get fooled.
L. Guteireze wrote:

I'd send 'em a present. A fire truck at 3:00 a.m. comes to mind.

It may be the me generation.
What I want to know is how big is the lot the grass needs to be cut for a guy to have a Scag and at the same time you can get it cut for $ 20 ? At around $ 5,000 plus for the Scag I would pay the $ 20 to get the grass mowed.

He actually bragged he paid $7k for this thing. Our lots are about 1/2 acre, 90x200. Consider the houses, garages, sheds, decks, flower beds, and driveways take up a big portion of that.

Think they start around $ 5 K and then go up.
I used to live on a lot about that size. He should be able to cut the stuff in notime with that mower. I had a 36 inch cut Murry and hated it because it only had 3 speeds. Top gear was too fast and middle gear was too slow. No use at all for the 1st gear. It did hold up for a good number of years. When I moved to a place with 3 acres (mowing about 1.5 ) I bought a John Deere with the hydrostatic drive. Much beter. Would like the zero turn,but did not want to put out the price.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Man... $7K for a LAWNMOWER? heck, the Fabulous BeaterPorsche didn't cost that much money, and it got me to work and back every day for years. (now in semi-retirement as I have a company car.) I don't think I've ever paid that much for anything in my life, save for one new car and my house.
Oh, and if you count up parts, labor, etc. I've probably got more than that in my project car. But I don't like to think about that.
I need a lawnmower, I look to Craigslist. It's just a lawnmower.
Am I a cheap bastard?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The last time I ran my clothes dryer, it didn't do a very good job. It might be failing to work. If I need a replacement, I'll look to Craigslist. Some people get rid of their appliances because they need a new color.

Yes. But there is no reason not to be proud of that.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

Yes you are. Do not get the used stuff, buy new and help the economy. Just kidding...
I have done the same myself in the past. Bought a $ 500 truck as an extra vehicle (wanted a truck, but had 2 cars). Kept the last car from 1991 to 2007. In my case it is a ballance of what I need and what I want. That car got me to work and back and I did have another car with low milage to take on trips. I have several hobbies that can cost a good bit and I don't need the $ 7K law mower to show off with. Some people just don't have anything beter to spend money on and want to show off.

for "occasional" homeowner use and some guys ALWAYS use the occasion to brag about their 800 dollar top of the line saw and belittle those who recommend a cheap Craftsman or Ryobi or a used one...To some "mine is bigger than yours" is important...I think it is to make up for other "shortcomings"...LOL.... ;)

well, I probably would search out a contractor-grade table saw... USED...
I loves me some good tools.
Same as my car choices... would rather drive a 20 year old Porsche than a new Hyundai. Some people may prefer something with a warranty. Diff'rent strokes...
nate

Grin, seen that one! I'll often reply to a thread after I've seen many replies, where the person said right at the start they didnt have much money and literally couldnt afford the 'true fix' but needed something fairly quick (due to working 2 jobs sometimes) and cheap but protective enough to not cause damage.
I got the same sort of stuff when asking what sealants were best for a cement slab that would be overlayed with outdoor type carpet in a sunroom. Very fine spiderweb cracking, minimal amounts of it on a 40year old slab extension.
Although well meaning, I got a chuckle at the number who couldnt stop themselves from wanting to suggest I break out the slab and repour, or pour a 2 inch layer over it, or 'deal with the damp then add wood underlayment and carpet' etc.
The one person who actually responded with a product he thought well of, we used his advice and it's done perfect for the scope of the job. We check annually and re-apply another layer if it seems needed (wasnt last year).

Heh,these days,$800 is NOT a "top of the line" table saw. also,a $99 table saws will not give an accurate cut.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Maybe. My definition or "accurate" is "good enough for its intended purpose."
A $99 saw WILL give an accurate cut. Precision is, however, another matter. Here's the difference:
"The moon is 240,000 miles from the earth" is an accurate statement, though not very precise.
"The moon is, at this instant, 238,857.7002 miles from the earth" is a precise statement - and also accurate.
Now I bought a $99 table saw for the express purpose of ripping laminate to make the stuff fit the width of the floor. The saw was accurate to at least 1/4", which was all the precision I required.
I've since used the saw for all manner of worthwhile projects: Cutting junk into pieces big enough to fit in the garbage can, putting points on tomato stakes, trimming fence boards to fit around a tree, etc. I assure you, it was accurate enough for all those endeavors.

cabinette making....LOL...
"benick" wrote>

Bingo!
My table saw isn't a 99$ model but it isn't an 800$ one either. It's a decent enough 200$ or so unit suitable for our needs. We are a mix and match with some tools being quite cheap, and others being fairly close to top of the line. Just depends on if we need the more advanced features or not.

Cheap saws often have fences that are impossible to align. If the fence is not parallel to the saw blade the cut will be neither precise nor accurate. You example is also neither accurate nor precise.