OT Neighbor (rant)

Page 4 of 7

and got beat up for it. Seems like same outcome to me.

that constitute the actual manufacturing are done outside the US and outside of the regulations.

Which alternative universe are you living in?
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action

*how* to meet the requirements was left to the banks, and they had a number of options. Many banks chose an option that was not in their long-term interest and suffered because of it. Other banks, which chose other options, are still healthy.

assemble a car in the US from foreign-made parts, GM is free to do the same. Whose fault is it that they chose not to?
Oh by the way, should we consider exactly *why* foreign car companies are assembling cars in the US? Does the threat of import tariffs imposed by the government ring a bell?

yeah. Long before they actually came over that was a dead horse. Most did that related the strength or not of the UD$

ANY party has gotten involved in stopping pay or other benefits? Can't. What they do tend to get involved is in making sure unions don't have to actually compete. Thus every government project is required to be bid on a prevailing wage basis that always ends up being union wages. Non-union shops are essentially not allowed to bid for buildings, roads, etc., unless they want to give up the only major advantage they have, lower wages.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action

Being able to sell "American-made by american workers" autos helps a great deal. Many "imports" contain more US content than "American" brands.
(what's a "UD$" ?)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I was trying to help the dyslexics that were following along by designating US$. Okay so it was ham handed typing skills.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
On 6/3/2009 1:48 PM, Eric wrote:

Unions, for one. And actually, if you look at the documentation for your vehicle, you'll see that many of their lines ARE merely assembled in the US.

How about the logistics of shipping materials? If you are sourcing SOME of the parts from the destination country, it makes more sense to send everything there for assembly, rather than have items make multiple trips across the ocean.
Of course, the use of tariffs is an admission that we can't be cost-competitive in the first place.

Apparently, the side of the economic/political spectrum you stand on determines what you consider facts vs political dogma.
On 6/3/2009 12:51 PM, Eric wrote:

Okay, I had it straight in my head, but I mixed two different points together when typing them out. I concede I was unclear in my statement. Let me expand:
Much of what the foreign automakers do is ASSEMBLE vehicles in the US, not fully manufacture all the parts. Ford, GM, and Chrysler do as much of that as they can, also, without running afoul of the Union, because to do everything in the US is cost prohibitive.

The more government regulations that are in effect, the less innovative industry is, and the less productive it is. The level of innovation and productivity is directly related to potential profit.
Government is like anti-matter to profit.
wrote in message

No,because many of the component parts also are manufactured right in the US. Honda has an engine plant in Ohio.ISTR one other major "import" also making their motors in the US.
OTOH,many "US" autos and their assemblies are made in Canada and Mexico,by foreigners.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Eh, I can't really regard our northern friends as foreigners. More like the strait-laced sibling living down the street from Ma'n'Pa that you still keep in touch with, even though you have been written out of the will because you went and got all those tattoos.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Me either. I generally regard Canada as the attic in which one keeps the crazy aunt.

yes,they are. They don't pay US taxes on their salaries,nor contribute to SS,they don't spend their salaries in the US,they don't vote here and they don't live here. WE get no benefit from them constructing autos in Canada,or Mexico.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Sure we do get benefits: 1. Cheaper cars, and/or 2. Greater profit for American stockholders, and 3. If Canadians or Mexicans are employed locally, they won't try to sneak over here, and 4. Their salaries are spent on American products or services we can provide more cheaply than their domestic companies.
Everybody wins when countries do what they do best. To illustrate how silly this "buy American" mantra is, consider a small town where the only business in the town makes breakfast cereal. Would it make sense to urge the townspeople to buy their copy machines from the Post Toastie plant?
HeyBub wrote:

-- aem sends...

Not necessarily. Do Canadians work cheaper than US auto workers?

it's not our responsibility to provide employement for foreigners.

MAYBE they spend their some of their salaries on US products. (and what would those products be??) More likely,not.

Not even comparable.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Microsoft Windows comes to mind.
As far as I can tell, no Canadian company makes MRI machines. Or very many movies. Or wine. Or Fein Multimaster knock-offs. Or jumbo jets.
We sell a LOT of stuff to Canada and Mexico. In the latter case, a lot of guns. Or so it is claimed.

government-induced. The great increases in executive (total) pay (and interestingly enough many of the more serious scandals) began around 1993 and the passage of that year's Ombinus Budget Reconciliation Act. One of the elements of this, according to the legislative record in Congress, was an attempt to make executive more performance related (anybody heard a call for that recently>????). OBRA '93 made changes in the tax law that capped deductibility for executive SALARY at $1 million, yet made it tax advantaged to the company to give stock options and other similar "performance based" measures that would bring executive's interests more in line with the interests of the stock holders (heard that mantra again recently??) According to a Congressional Research Service report, median CEO total pay began its rise in 2003 (gee why is that an important date?). However the rise wasn't all up and up, as median CEO pay fell around the time of the tech bubble and resultant stock fall. Between '95 and '05 medial salary increased only from $0.7 million to $1 million (the deductible amount) while pay for performance (options, bonuses, etc.) more than quadrupled. What all of this boils down to is that the government had decided that the majority of your pay will be related to performance, rational economic behavior will be to maximize that part of your pay. The cover originally given to the executives when the Congress made the changes in tax law "to make the interests of the executives more in line with the shareholders" gave some of those who might not have fudged the books the rationalization to do so. It wasn't greed so much as people doing exactly what the Congressional policy told them to do.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
George wrote:

1. Greed is good. The poor, for example, cannot contribute to charity. 2. It was social regulation that caused the financial sector failure. It started with the Community Redevelopment Act under Carter, but the big switch was thrown under Clinton in 1993 when loans to otherwise ineligible borrowers were mandated by the government.
Aside from these two errors, your post is spot on.

Sigh. Adam Smith settled this hash in 1776 with the publication of "The Wealth of Nations." In a nutshell, nations and their people should do what they do best and not try to protect inefficient jobs or industries. When that happens, everybody prospers.
You really should try to keep up.

I'd expand it according to the PJ Principle. "Politics should be limited in its scope to war, protection of property, and the occasional precautionary beheading of a member of the ruling class."
-P.J. O'Rourke
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
dgk wrote:

So you like the "share the wealth idea" where some really smart people in government will look out for you and control every aspect of society? You might want to check into this but I believe it has been tried before and imploded in the 90's
Da, komrade. Fail! Fail! Nyet gud.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus