OT Neighbor (rant)

Page 2 of 7

Nonsense. Don't like Eli Lilly for some reason. You can stay away from Prozac and take Paxil or many others. At least four Companies make new hips okayed for use in the US. Etc., etc. Most places have many hospitals and tons of docs to sort through. If there is no choice, it is probably because your insurance company, even there many companies give you a choice.

Which generally is no worse than the pre-privatized medical care. Damning with faint praise I know.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You have your stent and heart valve picked out?

I'd gamble on the private stuff - I know it's warts and always find them :o)

My neighbor had a heart valve replaced recently, and they asked if he wanted pig valve or mechanical and then a choice of 2-3 mechanical ones. I have written multiple articles on orthopods giving choices of which knee you want replaced (the distaff side can even get their choice of 3 companies making "gender specific knees". Docs should be talking about the different kinds of stents available if possible since they all work by a little different mechanisms and thus should be covered for that pesky little Informed Consent issue.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
On 6/4/2009 9:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

Some of those mentioned above are common-sense public-safety items I don't have any quarrel with. Others are nanny-state items.
DDT, for example... Was merely victimized by the environmentalist organizations. Its not anywhere near as harmful as people believe. In fact, the banning of DDT has led to a resurgence of malaria and other pests (such as bed bugs)
Worker compensation is another item I don't think government should be involved in. Government should make sure companies aren't employing children 90 hours a week running heavy machinery, not saying that everyone MUST be paid a minimum wage.

Blackwater is hired by governments for the sole reason that they are cheaper to pay for than actual soldiers. Another admission that government simply CAN'T do anything as cost-efficiently as the private sector.
Ryan P wrote:

Much more likely that the epidemic is caused by over-use of pesticides (just as with antibiotics) and too many people sleeping with people they don't know very well.

NOTHING would improve the economy as much as trashing the whole W.C. system in all 50 states. It is a horrible waste for physicians, employers, insurance companies and a lot of workers. Folks are robbed in the workplace, before they see their checks, because of the fraud and abuse of W.C. I've watched some great videos of "disabled" people.

Nobody knows that - Blackwater doesn't keep books.

Technically doesn't need to. The government knows what they pay for a soldier and what they pay for BW employee through their contracts. If B is less than A... Of course Blackwater isn't providing an army. It is providing bodyguard/security services, much easier and less expensive than an army. The proper comparison would probably be with the Diplomatic Security folks at State, Secret Service, etc.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
On 6/4/2009 12:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

Ask any exterminator that's been in the business for a long time, who can remember using DDT. DDT was more effective at controlling pests. The US even urges countries with malaria problems to use it.
Of course, it needs to be used properly. When used properly, its not an evil scourge any more than carbon dioxide is a "hazardous gas."

Agreed. In fact, let's add a trashing and reforming of all the disability systems. I know of people who are perfectly capable of working who are collecting SSI disability, at the same time as other people who ARE legitimately unable to work full time that "don't qualify."

Blackwater is given a bulk contract. We know how much money we give them, and what benefit (or liability) we get from them. It should be relatively easy to weigh that against the cost of having military units (and all the associate support costs that go along with a deployment) doing the same work.

What's the going rate for "plausible deniability" nowadays? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plausible_deniability
On 6/4/2009 1:41 PM, RicodJour wrote:

Depends where you look. Politicians that vote on bills they've never read receive pretty hefty gifts from lobbyists.

I was referring to Blackwater.
On 6/4/2009 2:12 PM, RicodJour wrote:

I know. I was assuming you were implying that Blackwater = Bad. I chose not to engage in that line of conversation, because IF that is your opinion, there's no point in discussing it. Nobody ever changed anyone's mind on Usenet. :)

I am not thrilled with Blackwater, but that is not what I was saying. You know what they say about assume. Blackwater is the military equivalent of having all part time employees so you don't have to comply with regulations that would hamper your operation. You know, weasels. I have had my changed on and by Usenet. You haven't? That's scary.
"Ryan P" wrote:

Nope. DDT was banned because it was effective. As a result, millions of Africans didn't die from malaria, but instead died due to starvation, dysentary, and a host of other ailments which plague unsustainable/uncivilizable humanoid populations.
The WHO determined that it was more merciful to let nature take care of the problem in the first place.
Jon

You are one strange man.
Something called a "patent". Makes it profitable to do all the expensive research. A very good idea, actually.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 6/4/2009 7:28 AM, dgk wrote:

http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org/corporate_accountability/history_corporations_us.html
Interesting spin... However, the founding fathers were terrified of government, which is why they developed the checks and balances system, and placed strict limitations on what each branch of government could or could not do. Hell, they even set up the first system of government so that the Federal branch had virtually no power over the individual states... something I think we should move back towards a bit. What's good for people in California is not necessarily good for people in Wisconsin.
The American Revolution occurred because King George (government) treated the colonies solely as a revenue source for Britain. This is how the US government is treating its citizens today.
If you read the writings of the founding fathers, you would certainly come to the conclusion that they would be appalled at what the US government has become... a nanny state.
Greetings, fellow constituionalist!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Just for giggles. . . which of the founder's writings have you read that gave you that impression?
I've read volumes of John Adams', Ben Franklin's, and Thomas Jefferson's words-- and a few thousand pages of the other Declaration Signers writings. IMO, they would be more concerned that gov't is doing more to help businesses than citizens, and that politicians are far too often just lining their own pockets. But for the most part they'd be pretty proud that their grand experiment has withstood the test of time.
Jim