OT Neighbor (rant)

Page 1 of 7
Greetings
I'm retired from the construction industry, but not yet retired.
We live in a neighborhood, where people help their neighbors, we have neighborhood cookouts & such. Though retired from construction, people still ask me to repair this or that, some drywall work, odd job etc. I always attempt to help people out, and if I find it's going to be a project which will take time, I refer them to a contact. When I do work, its for a modest charge, because I no longer hold a license, or carry insurance.
A younger couple moved into the neighborhood. They wanted a deck & patio door replaced. After asking around, a few neighbors pointed them my way. Being up front, I told them I would _help_, but wouldn't give them a price on anything.
They came up with a 14'x16' deck design, I drew it up, so they could get a permit. I set up batter boards and strung it out for the post holes (6 of them). The deck was going over part of a concrete patio, so I had him rent a concrete saw to remove where 4 holes were going to be placed. I cut out 4 areas 12"x12" for these holes. My first sign this guy was cheap, was when he started bitching about how much the saw cost along with the blade. I helped the fella run the auger, called to have the holes inspected, poured the concrete, set the beams & all floor joists. He wanted to install the flooring himself, and I showed him how to do some railing, because he wanted a built in gate within the railing. When it came time for the steps, I figured them out & cut them for him. After the deck was completed, his wife started complaining the deck was too _small_. It was their design, with them saying how big they wanted it.
For the patio door, I still have aluminum coil stock, and an aluminum brake to bend for flashing under the new door, and on top for a _z_ flashing. I set the french doors, which he & his dad were the helpers.
So he says he will have a cook out when it's all done. I never discussed getting paid, and I really don't want a dime for it. He said he will have a cook out when everything was done. Well, he did, several of them, and didn't invite myself or my family to join. He didn't invite anyone in the neighborhood, just some drunken _friends_ from his old neighborhood. This was last year when the work was completed. I just wonder where these friends were, when the work was being done.
Fast forward to this year. He wanted to borrow my sawzall, I told him I don't loan tools.
Now my lawnmower recently died. This guy bought a new Scag zero turn this year. He seen my brother bring over his mower for me to use. The guy walked over, said I should have asked him, for he would cut my yard for a mere $30 a pop. I was totally stunned, he would even suggest he would charge me. The fella doesn't cut grass for a living, this is his toy, and I know it was expensive, but geez. Not only that, several people in the neighborhood have different companies cut their yards for $20, and all these lots are similar in size.
Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?
I know, I should just get over it.

I agree.
L. Guteireze wrote:
<snipped>

RBM wrote:

Same here. The sorry-a** putz will show up some day soon to ask for more help. I'd like to be there to here what you tell him.
Loren

Erm...hear, nor here.
Loren
clipped

Not a specific generation, AFAIK. My three grandsons have far better manners than most of my neighbors ...
My hubby was "building manager" in our condo for four years or more. Just in major tasks, I estimated the two of us spent well over 3,000 hours in those four years....not counting fixing broken concrete steps, patching busted stucco, searching for buried irrigation controllers, repairing outdoor lights...full time for weeks at a time on major projects for grand sum of $80/month. In spare time, we unclogged toilets, taught one neighbor to use a computer for the book he was writing and LOANED HIM THE FREAKING LAPTOP COMPUTER, babysat, helped remove debris from major remodels, helped install couple of water heaters, replaced deck boards on dock, etc, etc, etc. The guy writing the book never replaced my husband's batt. op. screwdriver he dropped in the channel. I'm still waiting for someone to do me a favor, although I haven't asked. Been tempted to set myself on fire to see if any of them bother to p--- on me:o)
Oh, and I forgot rides to airports and a lousy bag of cookies and peanut brittle hung on their doorknobs at Christmas time. And calling the cops when their spouses slap them around. Hubby's muscle always requested by the neighbor women who are too independent to live with a man :o)
Want to buy a condo? Three for sale, two of the owners pretty desperate :o) What goes around.........
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 19:11:25 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Usenet line of the day!!!
L. Guteireze wrote:

The kid probably voted for BeeHO.
TDD
Change you can believe in. Fast track to government take over.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I believe in my government - I own part of it. I have no faith in corporations that exist only to enrich themselves. Given the choice, and that is the choice, I'll take the government.
Sorry you don't believe in our government. Perhaps you'd be happier somewhere else.

How about governments (or at least legislatures) who exist only to enrich themselves. Think buildings, roads, etc., named after them, campaign and other contributions, power and other enrichments. At least with public corporations I have the opportunity (through stock ownership and dividends) to siphon off some of that enrichment. I always thought the America Love it or Leave it campaign was stupid, nothing changed my mind here.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action

I always hated the love it or leave it thing myself and laughed when I wrote that. It's just always used against me. If everyone who thought differently than me left, who would I argue with?

In my case,I'd still have the other voices in my head (grin).
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
When a corporation decides to change policy, such as raise prices. you can usually go some where else. Don't like Walmart? Buy at Target, instead.
When a government decides to raise taxes, there is little you can do about it. Governments also have men with guns who will put you in handcuffs, and take you to jail for non payment.
I'd rather have runaway corporations.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Of course I can do something about it. I can vote for someone else. But, money (most of it corporate) has so corrupted our system that it's almost impossible to get someone out.
Our founding fathers were so afraid of the power of corporations that they put very strong limits on them. Remember, they were on the receiving end of the power of the first corporations. Essentially, corporations could only exist for a single purpose, for a specific period of time, and had to act in the public interest. Then they were dissolved. Check out http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org/corporate_accountability/history_corporations_us.html for details.
Now, having used their money to trash virtually all limits on their power (thank you Delaware), they aren't even US companies anymore. Now they don't give a shit about the US since they can make money anywhere, and if it hurts the US, tough.
The only bulwark to corporate power is the government. In case you haven't noticed, corporations now have their own armies and are pretty much taking over ours. Just look at what happened during Katrina.
As I remember, Hurricane Katrena. The churches, corporations, Red Cross, etc. Tried to go to the aid of the people in New Orleans. FEMA blocked and prevented them at every turn. I remember listening to the radio in Rochester NY. The fire department of Rochester had some rescue equipment. They were about to leave, and someone from FEMA called, and told them not to come.
I guess you didn't agree with what I wrote earlier. If consumers don't like a corporation, they don't have to buy there. I disagree that the only protection is government. The protection is consumers deciding where to spend their money.
I am in much greater need of protection FROM GOVERNMENT than I am protection from corporations.
Please give me a couple examples of corporate armies.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

those who had actual knowledge of the plans and were able to communicate with Fed, STATE, and LOCAL agencies and could sustain themselves were let in. The absolute last thing you need in these situations are a bunch of untrained, more importantly unsupported, groups running around. All three levels screwed the pooch on Katrina (largely because they followed their set plans to the letter), but this is one place where I would have to disagree. You get the freelancers and quite often they become an additional burden and you have to divert resources from operations to saving them.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
In article

One of the earlier FL hurricanes (maybe Andrew??) they ended up spending almost as much to toss out useless donation as they did to clean up one of the harder hit areas. My favorite freelance from one of the tornadoes I worked was the well meaning group who showed up with a truckload of canned goods, but with no way to open said cans.
--
The inevitable Godwinization of Usenet threads is a principle
as immutable as Newton\'s Third Law meaning that, for every action
Stormin Mormon wrote:

For certain critical needs, there is often no choice (pharm., medical or surgical devices)

Nice to think so, but what about: drugs causing birth defects or disease restaurants with dirt and vermin unfunded pensions job discrimination no pay for overtime exposure to toxic or carcinogenic stuff at work, school hazardous waste in yer water supply ddt in your food or water someone with aids donates blood your local hospital is scamming you, your insurance company and govt. (I worked for such a corp.) organ donors from unregulated sources (they sell 'em in Asia) mercury in your fish