OT neighbor

Some branches already fell so it is proven to be a danger. Cut away. Not a code violation where I live. May even be required if a hazard.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

OK you guys, lets find out where the nice lady lives and someone here may be in the same town. If she lived around here, it wouldn't be a problem for me to make a phone call or two and me and my friends would get rid of the limbs tomorrow. Jan what city do you live in? If you were in the Birmingham area, I can guarantee the limbs would be gone in no time. Me and my friends are disabled, we're not rich but we help our neighbors no matter how far away they live. When my friend RB, a Vietnam vet died of cancer, me and his other friends adopted his elderly mother and took care of her home repairs until she passed a few years ago. There are good people everywhere who are willing to help out those in need. Jan, you don't have to post your address but there could be someone here who lives in the same city and if they're a righteous human being they will get in touch with you and help you out. ^_^

TDD

Good man. I do things for friends and neighbors also. Help people that cannot do things due to physical problems. I am a WWll vet and thankful I can help people. WW

Reply to
WW

As a side to that, she could call the fire department. Most firefighterss work side jobs when off duty. Here in DFW they have a website to lookup Of duty firemen. And like you said, they'd probably would do it for nothing knowing the circumstances.

Reply to
ChairMan

I don't think so. Everything I've ever heard is that one may trim overhanging branches to the property line. (make sure you know where the property line really is,or at least don't go beyond where it might be..) Mrs. Taylor might want to post to misc.legal.moderated where they will answer the legal questions. This is common issue and well known.

My condolences to you, Mrs. Taylor. It sounds so pleasant, you and Art reading a newsgroup or anything togeher.

Be sure to tell them what state you live in, and as many details as possible. If the limbs in question were not healthy, and the owner knew or should have known, if the lack of health showed from the outside, that would make a difference, but I forget the details. Tell them your details and they will you.

Trimming to the property line may make the tree ugly for your eyes and his, but I agree, the threat might be enough to get him to remove what's fallen rather than have you call someone to do that and the trimmming too.

Reply to
micky

I forgot to say that misc.legal;moderated only releases posts every few days. And they moderate every post, so yours won't appear right away and the replies will take a few days even if they are posted immediately. But unlike some questions, I dont' think they'll be any doubt on any aspect of this one.

Reply to
micky

Extremely bad advice!! Whatever you do Jan, DON'T have anyone throw anything into your neighbor's yard at your request.

If your twitchy neighbor has a video camera, you could leave yourself open to a charge of malicious mischief or littering and be responsible for any damage done during the "repatriation" of the wood. That may seem strange but it was an act of God that put those broken branches in your yard. Having someone put the branches back in his yard is not. It's your deliberate act and it's wrongful in many (most?) states, AFAIK.

About the only way I know of to get the offender to remove the branches is for you to prove that they were already dead and represented a hazard that the tree's owner was aware of. I just spent $3000+ removing such a tree because I knew limbs were dead. It's a double-boled tree with a fence running through it. Each year, I would inspect it for dead limbs (no leaf growth) and this year, two very large branches (about 10" in diameter) did not flower. Since my neighbor has a beautiful yard and two grandchildren that often play there, I thought I'd rather pay the $ now to do it right than worry that my tree could kill one of those kids. The tree had already dropped a huge branch that dented my metal shed on a clear, calm day with no winds. I didn't want a situation that money could fix to become one no amount of money could.

My advice, in addition to the mostly useful advice received here, is to get photographs of the branches in question (are there leaves on them or were they dead?) and do it very obviously. That could induce your grumpy neighbor to accept responsibility for removal of the limbs, especially if other limbs are dead and need pruning. Some jurisdictions, like mine, have an official arborist who can inspect you neighbor's tree and determine if those limbs should have been removed BEFORE they were brought down by wind. This step is often necessary to force the offending neighbor to properly care for his trees (many homeowners fail in this area). I suspect the branches now in your yard won't be the last ones, particularly if your neighbor doesn't properly care for his trees.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

No, big difference. Apparently slicing off a neighbor's branches along the property line has been tried too many times...it specifically is cited in the city code where I lived in Florida. In general, that code leaves a property owner to care for trees on their own property as they wish, but for "hazardous" trees....if a tree might drop limbs or fall, it doesn't have to be on the right of way to have removal ordered. Also not supposed to remove trees of certain size without permit.

The towns/cities I've lived at in last 10 years have very pro-tree policies....some programs to provide free (young) trees, or reduced cost for planting larger trees. They certainly make a better looking community, IMO.

Reply to
Norminn

Thats what I was thinking. That neighbor sounds like a real asshole. By law, since it's his branches, HE must clean them up. Same as if he dumped his garbage in your yard. I'd call the police and file a complaint. They may refer you to a building inspector, or just threaten the neighbor themselves. He could get a fine for refusing to clean up his mess.

Reply to
davidwalters

Newsflash! I would suggest calling a tree removal company, give info about the size and number of limbs needing removal...there is probably someone nearby with a heart! Probably take a crew 30 seconds to stop by a grab a few limbs (how many could there be from one neighbor?). I'd bake a pie and have it ready :o)

We had a friend in Florida who was disabled, had received home repair from a local sen. citizen support agency but the money ran out. He had a terrible roof leak, with water streaming down through a bedroom light fixture. He asked hubby to look at it, but we couldn't fix it. We had gotten to know a good roofer through the problems we had with our condo roof, so made a deal with him....asked him to take a look, give owner a real lowball estimate but give us the real estimate and we would take care of it. Bob, the roofer, just took care of it, no $. Bob was a decent musician, too...working on a country CD.

As for grouchy neighbors, they are usually much worse off than me in some respect....hope he gets over it.

Reply to
Norminn

TROLL.

Reply to
Norminn

Really? Then why did I spend days and days sawing, gathering and burning

100s of tons of tree trash after a hurricane in 2004? The answer is, insurance did not cover that.
Reply to
dadiOH

Dan Espen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@home.home:

You risk getting your rates raised, or your policy cancelled altogether.

Post here again, *after* the policy renews.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@blank.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wrong.

Do you imagine that the neighbor is required to rake his leaves out of her yard, too?

Wrong.

Branches dropping off a tree is an act of God. Dumping garbage in someone else's yard is a deliberate act of littering.

No, they won't. They'll tell the homeowner it's her responsibility to clean up her own yard.

No, he wouldn't. It's not his mess.

In the future, please constrain yourself to offering advice on subjects you actually know something about.

If there are any.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I agree. That's the most half-assed suggestion I've read here in a long while.

I hate to bring this up, but nowadays you have to: OP, whoever you have doing the work, understand you'll be liable for any injuries they sustain while helping you out. Your homeowner's insurance will cover it, but that's the reason why hiring a licensed and insured pro is preferable when you can afford to do so. It sounds like you can't afford that, so just make sure that whoever helps you isn't careless or goofing around - which, alas, is something teenagers are prone to without supervision.

I'll second/third the suggestions already made to post a 'free firewood' sign, or ask the local church or community group if any members would like to come get it. When I had a major limb come down in my yard, I had quite a few strangers knocking at the door asking for permission to cut and remove the wood for their own use.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Her homeowners insurance _might_ cover it. Some policies only cover removal if the tree or limb falls on a structure. The OP should pull her policy and read it. She also has to look at her deductible. Even if the policy covers it, her deductible might be so high as to render the point moot.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Thank you for your service. I'd hate to have lost world war two, we'd all be speaking German.

.

Good man. I do things for friends and neighbors also. Help people that cannot do things due to physical problems. I am a WWll vet and thankful I can help people. WW

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The law usually permits people to trim overhanging branches, but not do anything that would actually cause injury to the tree. If you have to trim to the point where significant damage is likely to occur, you may have a legal issue. It's hard to offer blanket advice in these circumstances, except to say that with a neighbor like that, it's best not to unduly provoke him, since he appears to be younger, more aggressive and more likely to retaliate on this older woman.

Sometimes your next door neighbor is simply nuts. If that's the case here, it's best to have as little contact as possible, especially if you're old and vulnerable.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Glad you qualified your observation with "normally." While the branches overhanging your property are "yours" if, in dealing with them, you kill "his" tree, a whole new set of liabilities come up.

Reply to
HeyBub

Might be the best answer yet. Free wood sign out front.

.

I'll second/third the suggestions already made to post a 'free firewood' sign, or ask the local church or community group if any members would like to come get it. When I had a major limb come down in my yard, I had quite a few strangers knocking at the door asking for permission to cut and remove the wood for their own use.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would be willing to bring over my chain saw 3 o'clock in the morning.

Greg

Reply to
gregz