OT neighbor

Page 3 of 6

Bad advice. Yes, the insurance will [probably] cover it, but there's almost certainly a deductible. Unless the deductible is low *and* the cost of removal is high, the homeowner will wind up paying for all, or nearly all, the cost anyway -- and then she has a claim on her insurance.
Much better idea: put an ad on Craigslist -- "free firewood, you remove".

Okay, what's the problem with putting a claim in? I did last year after the October Snows here in the North East. Part of it included branch removal.
I haven't encountered the downside yet.
Yes, I had a high deductible. I set the deductible to what I can afford, like I suppose most people do.
I say, use the insurance, that's what it's there for.
--
Dan Espen

You risk getting your rates raised, or your policy cancelled altogether.

Post here again, *after* the policy renews.

LOL. I too am amazed at people suggesting she put in an insurance claim for removal of a few large tree branches. Every policy I've ever had included a limit that would easily exceed the cost of removal. And then you have the distinct possibility of the insurance company raising the rate or dropping her.

As I said in an earlier post...
I put in a claim when a large limb came down from a neighbor's tree and landed on my roof and deck. I forget the exact cost of the clean up but it was well above my deductible and well worth putting in the claim.
Granted, this wasn't just some limbs on the ground. This massive limb was hung up in the tree, on my house and on my deck. The clean up required a cherry picker truck and a crew of 4.
They did not raise my rates nor did they drop me.
A few years before that I was in a friend's yard and had my 2 YO son in one of those bucket swings, the kind that it's really hard to get the kid in and out of. My friend's kid was playing in the "fort" at the end of the play set. We took the kids in for lunch when no more than 5 minutes after we got the kids out of the play set, a huge limb came down and completely demolished It. We heard the cracking just seconds before the limb came down. There's no way we would have gotten the kids out of the swing or fort in the time it took from the CRACK to the SMASH.
He too put in a claim for the clean up and the play set. No raise to his rates nor did they drop him.
Once again, this was not just some limbs lying on the ground and there was damage to his property, so it might be different than the OP's situation. Then again, we really don't know the extent of the debris in the OP's yard. It certainly can't hurt to call and ask to have someone come out. An estimate from a claim's adjuster is free and hopefully the person will honest enough to explain the consequences - if any - to the OP.

My homeowners only covers damage to house.
Greg
Dan Espen wrote:

Really? Then why did I spend days and days sawing, gathering and burning 100s of tons of tree trash after a hurricane in 2004? The answer is, insurance did not cover that.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/15/2012 1:55 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Her homeowners insurance _might_ cover it. Some policies only cover removal if the tree or limb falls on a structure. The OP should pull her policy and read it. She also has to look at her deductible. Even if the policy covers it, her deductible might be so high as to render the point moot.

Might mention which state you reside. Some states (Texas here) you dial 211 from any phone and you reach a clearing house for assistance.
That said call the local office of your congress critter and ask to speak with the congress critters 'constituent liaison' person. Even if they can't help directly (very likely) that *do* know everyone in the area that is in a position to help.
Then there is Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, the local Council for the Boy Scouts, Fire Department especially if it's a volunteer group various senior groups.
Last check with your home owners insurance company. In some states it's legally the responsibility of the owner of the tree to make things right. Even if not the case the insurance company should be in an excellent position to give you some advice.

I see you already have many nice and helpful answers. Mine is a little different. Your neighbor is a jerk. Keep in mind, everything overhanging your yard is allowed to be cut. I'd get someone with a chain saw to lop every branch on your side of the properly line so he has a hideous looking tree. Maybe it will fall onto his house.
Good luck with your problem.
On 10/15/2012 4:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bad advice! The neighbor is already unfriendly, so provoking him is bad. Cutting the branches as you suggest is a code violation where I lived in Florida!

Some branches already fell so it is proven to be a danger. Cut away. Not a code violation where I live. May even be required if a hazard.
On 10/15/2012 10:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, big difference. Apparently slicing off a neighbor's branches along the property line has been tried too many times...it specifically is cited in the city code where I lived in Florida. In general, that code leaves a property owner to care for trees on their own property as they wish, but for "hazardous" trees....if a tree might drop limbs or fall, it doesn't have to be on the right of way to have removal ordered. Also not supposed to remove trees of certain size without permit.
The towns/cities I've lived at in last 10 years have very pro-tree policies....some programs to provide free (young) trees, or reduced cost for planting larger trees. They certainly make a better looking community, IMO.
I await to see what Derby writes about you.
Of course, if the tree is cut on your side, it will be heavier on the impolite guy's side.
I see you already have many nice and helpful answers. Mine is a little different. Your neighbor is a jerk. Keep in mind, everything overhanging your yard is allowed to be cut. I'd get someone with a chain saw to lop every branch on your side of the properly line so he has a hideous looking tree. Maybe it will fall onto his house.
Good luck with your problem.

Thats what I was thinking. That neighbor sounds like a real asshole. By law, since it's his branches, HE must clean them up. Same as if he dumped his garbage in your yard. I'd call the police and file a complaint. They may refer you to a building inspector, or just threaten the neighbor themselves. He could get a fine for refusing to clean up his mess.
On 10/16/2012 6:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@blank.com wrote:

TROLL.
snipped-for-privacy@blank.com wrote in wrote:

Wrong.
Do you imagine that the neighbor is required to rake his leaves out of her yard, too?

Wrong.
Branches dropping off a tree is an act of God. Dumping garbage in someone else's yard is a deliberate act of littering.

No, they won't. They'll tell the homeowner it's her responsibility to clean up her own yard.

No, he wouldn't. It's not his mess.
In the future, please constrain yourself to offering advice on subjects you actually know something about.
If there are any.

Well Doug you could be right up to point, however person as Mrs. Miller can go to lawyer explain situation, Lawyer send the letter to defender, that his property causing problems to your property and if any damage accurse because he/she did not took care of it to limit problem hi/she will be held liable in court of law for everything that may results of his/hers arrogance. Trick here is that advise was made and you have proof of that. This can be applied to anything including structures.

*occurs
WHAT "damage"? The OP has deadfall branches in her yard, that's all. No mention of anything being damaged anywhere.

You really think you can sue your neighbor to hold him liable for cleanup of branches that fell from his trees into your yard and didn't damage anything?
You're just as nuts as the goof I replied to.

In addition to the above, I'd point out that anyone that has a situation where the neighbor has a dead/diseased tree that could potentially cause damage to their property, doesn't need a lawyer to put the neighbor on notice before damage occurs. You can do that by sending a letter yourself. And while it's definitely a good idea as it significantly enhances your case, it's not required to have a winable case.