OT? Need to precisely cut a PCB

Page 1 of 2

well not quite a pcb but this blank board from Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId !02495&cp=&sr=1&origkw=copper&kw=copper&parentPage=search
Would appreciate any help in brainstorming a solution. I could cut it but I need a small square of about 30MM +- .05MM. Maybe a laser cutting service? That's about the only thing I can think of.

a drill bit in a dremel to cut it slightly oversize, and then pass it back and forth on a flat surface covered with fine grit, wet or dry sandpaper that is kept wet to get to the final finished size.
Kevin_91B wrote:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId !02495&cp=&sr=1&origkw=copper&kw=copper&parentPage=search
What tools do you have and what have you tried that didn't work?
--John
Kevin,
A millimg machine would easily do this. Given the tolerance of 0.05 mm I doubt that any hand tool would work. I've no idea what sort of shop charge would result but it won't be cheap.
Dave M.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:43:15 -0400, "David L. Martel"

If that is true, make more than one. I think it won't be much extra for the other ones. In case you ruin the first.

Motto: There is nothing so simple that it cannot be made more complicated
Kevin_91B wrote:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId !02495&cp=&sr=1&origkw=copper&kw=copper&parentPage=search
Score it and snap it a bit oversize and then sand to final dimension. Circuit board material breaks pretty cleanly with a good score-line on it.
Rick,
I don't think that a home hobbyist will be able to do this. Look at that 0.05 mm tolerance. How will you measure hundredths of a millimeter?
Dave M.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:54:56 -0400, "David L. Martel"

With a micrometer?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

WHY would a PCB -need- such tight tolerances? what about thermal expansion?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I don't berlieve the OP is using it as a circuit board. He hasn't told us what mysterious use he has for it, but he did say it wasn't being used as a circuit board.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Well, if nothing else, if clad on both sides with copper, it's a capacitor.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:54:56 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

Wet or dry sandpaper. I imagine he really means within .5mm The size board he is using if it is a home project is possibly only going to have less than a dozen components. More likely 6-8 components. 30mm x 30mm is about the size I used for a transistor ignition for a motorcycle. Fits right in one of the small Radio Shack project boxes. This is the board I used. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId !04052&cp Cut it with a box (utility) knife, broke off clean and sanded the edge.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:40:17 -0400, RLM wrote:

This board is 45mm x 90mm before cutting. I cut it in half and the holes align with the mounting holes inside the box.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId 62279&cp=&sr=1&origkw=project+box&kw=project+box&parentPage=search
RLM wrote: ...

I can't imagine why the OP thinks he needs such a tolerance anyway (even if is a typo and meant 0.5 instead of 0.05 mm)...
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:54:46 -0500, dpb wrote:

Perhaps he will share what it is that he is building. My curiosity is up.

It will be sort of a "dummy" BGA unit which will be run through a machine at work designed to handle parts of a certain size. Part too small or big, machine jam.

Are you sure that the correct operation of the machine doesn't depend on other dimensions of the BGA unit? Any reason you can't simply use a physically real but electrically dead (and thus scrap) BGA package?
    Dave
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:37:20 -0500, Kevin_91B wrote:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId !02495&cp=&sr=1&origkw=copper&kw=copper&parentPage=search
Get a square and put it where you want to cut it and score it a couple of times with a utility knife, hard. Place the scored line over the edge of a table and break it off at the scored line.

Ok thanks for the all the suggestions. I should be able to get it done with one of these methods.