OT? Need to precisely cut a PCB

well not quite a pcb but this blank board from Radio Shack:

Would appreciate any help in brainstorming a solution. I could cut it but I need a small square of about 30MM +- .05MM. Maybe a laser cutting service? That's about the only thing I can think of.

Reply to
Kevin_91B

a drill bit in a dremel to cut it slightly oversize, and then pass it back and forth on a flat surface covered with fine grit, wet or dry sandpaper that is kept wet to get to the final finished size.

Reply to
salty

What tools do you have and what have you tried that didn't work?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Kevin,

A millimg machine would easily do this. Given the tolerance of 0.05 mm I doubt that any hand tool would work. I've no idea what sort of shop charge would result but it won't be cheap.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Score it and snap it a bit oversize and then sand to final dimension. Circuit board material breaks pretty cleanly with a good score-line on it.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

If that is true, make more than one. I think it won't be much extra for the other ones. In case you ruin the first.

Reply to
mm

Motto: There is nothing so simple that it cannot be made more complicated

Reply to
salty

Get a square and put it where you want to cut it and score it a couple of times with a utility knife, hard. Place the scored line over the edge of a table and break it off at the scored line.

Reply to
RLM

Ok thanks for the all the suggestions. I should be able to get it done with one of these methods.

Reply to
Kevin_91B

Rick,

I don't think that a home hobbyist will be able to do this. Look at that

0.05 mm tolerance. How will you measure hundredths of a millimeter?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

With a micrometer?

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

WHY would a PCB -need- such tight tolerances? what about thermal expansion?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Wet or dry sandpaper. I imagine he really means within .5mm The size board he is using if it is a home project is possibly only going to have less than a dozen components. More likely 6-8 components. 30mm x 30mm is about the size I used for a transistor ignition for a motorcycle. Fits right in one of the small Radio Shack project boxes. This is the board I used.

Cut it with a box (utility) knife, broke off clean and sanded the edge.

Reply to
RLM

This board is 45mm x 90mm before cutting. I cut it in half and the holes align with the mounting holes inside the box.

RLM

RLM wrote: ...

I can't imagine why the OP thinks he needs such a tolerance anyway (even if is a typo and meant 0.5 instead of 0.05 mm)...

--

Reply to
dpb

Perhaps he will share what it is that he is building. My curiosity is up.

Reply to
RLM

Reply to
oparr

I don't berlieve the OP is using it as a circuit board. He hasn't told us what mysterious use he has for it, but he did say it wasn't being used as a circuit board.

Reply to
salty

Well, if nothing else, if clad on both sides with copper, it's a capacitor.

Reply to
Leroy

It will be sort of a "dummy" BGA unit which will be run through a machine at work designed to handle parts of a certain size. Part too small or big, machine jam.

Reply to
Kevin_91B