OT - Need Baby Bird Help

Page 1 of 3

I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple of trees that have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of - and tries to fly but can't. What should I do? Any ideas on food to set out or water???

We just leave her alone. Right now we have two active nests in our yard.

Any water you put out should be in a very shallow container like a saucer so the little guy won't drown in it. He doesn't know how to drink anyway.
Touching the bird is the last thing you want to do. Your smell may cause his mother to desert him.
More than likely you are just going to have to learn to allow nature to take its course.
Should you choose to ignore that advice there is an bird cereal that you can buy in powered form. Mixes up a lot like baby oatmeal. We tried more than once for the sake of the kids when they were little. Never saved a single one.
Robins like pre-chewed worms. Make a video of that one for me.
--
Colbyt

A bird-knowledgeable neighbor picked the bird up using a plastic bag and moved it away from the edge lf the lawn, it was only 2 feet from the stree, having hopped about 20 feet toward the street since it is downllhill in that direction. We'll see what happens next. I think the parents are robins.
In

Call the nearest humane center or SPCA. They can refer you to the proper authority which will pick up the baby bird and have it placed with experienced, recognized experts whose job it is to get the animal healthy, back on its feet and be releaed back into the wild. Never try to do it yourself unless you've been schooled in such things. The biggest problem is having a youngster imprint on you as a "parent" and when (not IF, even if you successfully make a pet of it) it's gotten back to the wild it will have a very short life indeed. IMproperly raised youngsters do not imprint properly, often don't have any way to learn how to find food and some experience very painful, terrible deaths because someone tried to help them. Honest; if you doubt me, there are lots of internet sites you can find about this subject. Just make sure they were written by authorized, recognized organizations, that's all. In our area both the dog warden and SPCA can take such things and find fostering for them. We have no local Humane Society, unfortunately; very rural here. It works well; they even invite you to the event of letting the animal go in the end if you wish it.
--
Regards,

Tom1

typed:

Leave it alone and let nature take its course. Calling the Humane Society, expending money, energy and effort for the sake of one small baby bird is assinine and a sign of one of the many things wrong in our society.
typed:

Doug Brown, YOU are a sign of wrong things in society.

I'll second that !!!
Or to say it without holding back. He's a heartless greedy asshole who serves no purpose in society. If everyone was like him, this society and the world would have been destroyed years ago.
If people spent this much energy on baby humans, the world would be a better place. It does seem like a waste of energy for one bird.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

People relate to ONE creature or human in distress. They can see it and hear it, or if reported in the media, imagine doing so. When it is hundreds or thousands in distress, not so much. People just can't wrap their heads around it. That is why charities like 'save the children', et al, spotlight ONE kid in the ad.
Pretty much every time the media reports on a person in distress, the checks and offers start rolling in. But when they report on a large problem that will take an ongoing effort to solve, not.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

I know people who truly care more about animals than they do humans. Let 'em. It's a free country. The humane societies do great work, and have volunteers of all kinds. West Florida has a bird sanctuary that rescues and rehabs thousands of birds, including bald eagles. When birds cannot be returned to the wild, they use them for "educational" exhibits. There is nothing "educational" about a crippled bird in a cage...a good photo would be as educational. I really hate that practice, but that's me. The sanctuary relies on volunteers and does good work to undo harm done by humans...a lot of trash in the gulf ends up harming animals and it is impossible to go anywhere along the shore and not see human junk.
If the right-to-life folks quit picketing clinics and staging marches, they might have time to use in helping children. How 'bout people on death row who are proven innocent...guess when yer larger than a teabag yer right-to-life goes away.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Baby birds won't grow up to screw up the world.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Only if you rain on my parade when your done.
nb
Pardon the top posting but I want to keep continuity.
Baby humans are the woman's "choice".
Sadly many of those who lament this poor bird would abort without thought.
That I think says more about the state of modern society than anything else.
Colbyt

snipped-for-privacy@here.com wrote:

It would be a good teaching experience for children about compassion. Weird, murderous SOB's often get their start by abusing and killing small animals.
TDD
On 05/23/2010 05:33 AM, snipped-for-privacy@here.com wrote:

???
A baby bird that's fallen out of the nest is pretty much dead already no matter what you do to/for it, unless you're a trained professional. Heck, the parents might have smelled something "wrong" and pushed it out. There's nothing wrong with trying to help it out, but the poor little guy is most likely toast.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The "smell" thing might be more urban legend than fact. There is a bald eagle nest in my area, in residential area. Animal group had an orphan eagle and placed it in this nest that had an adult pair with two hatchlings. As the story goes, the adult pair will take an orphan into their nest and raise it, but will push out a weaker baby. Ultimately, the whole nest was destroyed - too big for the tree, I believe - and haven't heard more about the outcome.
On Sun, 23 May 2010 09:43:34 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

They built a nest that was too big for the tree! Are there no bigger trees around?
mm wrote:

I believe they use the same nest for a long time...this is a residential back yard, so is somewhat private.