OT Need a Google search phrase

I decided it would be a good idea to find a service, preferably free, that had people check in daily via email, phone, whatever so as to be sure they are ok, otherwise call and if no response send out police or sheriff for a welfare call.

There used to be at least one such service here many years ago, but I can't remember anything about them. Can anyone think of a Google search phrase for this or anyone to call for this info? I tried a few Google searches but nothing remotely like this turned up. Evidently the word 'welfare' in the phrase doesn't work - too many other meanings. At 80, living alone, this seems like a good precaution to take. One of those help pendants where you press the button is ok, but if I can do that I can use my cell or landline to call 911. Besides, they cost $10 - $15 a month.I suspect an answering service would do this, but would likely charge even more.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

here is one I found with "internet daily welfare check":

Pico Rico

aged call-in okay service

Gets a couple. Take it from there.

Reply to
Vic Smith

A lot of police departments are doing this for free. It's called You Are Not Alone.

Google You Are Not Alone Police .

Reply to
Evan Platt

Maybe I dont fully understand, and I do know about those "Life Alert" buttons (and other brands), since I know someone who had one.

But it sounds to me, like you want this elderly person to contact you via the internet daily. Many elders are not real competent with computers and if they start getting alzheimers or similar, they may not remember what to do.

Seems it would be easier to just have them call you. Program their phone for them, so all they have to do is push one button. Tell them they *must* call you daily, and make sure you have voicemail or an answering machine available.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

"This elderly person" is the poster.

Probably the best solution, if siblings (who would be 60ish) also do not have memory problems. The only way to use Google search is to flush history, hide bookmarks (back them up and delete them), delete any "saferbrowsing" files and folder (they just datamine you), and disable geolocation and anything "social". Can all be done through about:config and a couple of scripts, but is probably too complicated for the OP. That was the only way I could get Google to show me real election previews here in Brazil. Without the cleaning of datamining engines, it gave me a completely false "personalized" version, whatever that means. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Hi, No family or neighbor?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Evan Platt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'll check this out but unfortunately I'm in the country, not the city. I sent a letter about this to the sheriff'd dept. - maybe they do this too.

Reply to
KenK

Duh, why didn't he think of that? If he had family or neighbor who was available whenever needed and he could fully rely on for this, he wouldn't have posted.

Reply to
micky

This one sounds good but without reading it a 2nd or 3rd time, I have a couple questions that anyone enrolling might want answers for.

Don't get me wrong. They might have very good answers.

Is it necessary to belong to one of those organizations it mentions? There might be dozens or thousands of member organizations but there will still be 100 million americans who don't belong to one. OTOH, I would think most organizations wouldn't really require you to be a member if they already had the screen up and displaying, and they don't have to pay extra, because the new client pays the expense. .

Does anyone actually do anything if you don't call in on time? AFAICT Daily Lifeline won't. It only changes the display on the screen of the "local hospital, senior center, public safety, church or other organization. " that the client belongs to. A screen they say should always be on top, but how can it always be on top unless they have a monitor just for this**. And what about big organizations where the list of people late to check in runs to more than will fit on one screen.

Or maybe there is a screen available for everyone listed as a friend of the client**.

**I run every program I can in full screen mode, so I can't see other windows. If this is a browser tab, afaik there is no way to see two browser tabs at the same time if they are in the same window, and many people only run one window.

So now you're a member of a sponsoring organization, and they have the list of late checkins on the top screen of the computer. tWhat are they going to do about it ? Call the client first, I would think. Call the client's next door neighbor who doesn't want to be called every day but will go over when there's a sign of a problem. Call the police? Will they do all three things? Are they obliged to.

Reply to
micky

They don't have to live nearby. You mean OP'er is an orphan? My daughter lives away from us but she always check in with us via email or phone. BTW, she is a MD. Even she goes overseas she is regularly in touch. If she couldn't for a reason. Son and DIL take over. We're not that old tho with good health, in the mid-70s.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

KenK wrote in news:XnsA41A4BDB64191invalidcom@

130.133.4.11:

The USPS informally does this. Ask your postal worker to check on you if you haven't picked up the previous day's mail.

Reply to
David LaRue

I didn't say or think they did.

No. I mean the OP knows what he needs and he's not so dumb that you should think he forgot his family and friends.

Goody for you.

YOU have nothing to do with this.

Reply to
micky

Try "senior phone tree"

I tried a few Google searches but nothing remotely

Another possibilitty - an old Freeware program - Dead Man's Switch (Author: Daisyman)

This application was sparked by an Ars OpenForum thread about what would happen if one of us were to shuffle off to that Great Motherboard in the Sky. Software which would act as a proverbial "Dead Man's Switch" came up, which is basically a system that, if not reset by a given time, will automatically carry out a series of tasks, such as posting messages to websites like Ars, sending e-mails to loved ones (or hated ones), and encrypting or destroying sensitive files (*cough* pr0n *cough*). Interest was expressed for the creation of such software, and well, here it is.

The software is designed to run without installation. Just stick it in a convenient directory, and it will create all the necessary registry entries the first time it is run. Any additional files that it creates will be in the same directory, and will have the extensions .dwp and .dem, for easy portability.

The software can carry out three functions: posting to web pages, sending e-mails, and encrypting files (props to WanderingWastrel for the idea)....in case the you encrypt files accidentally (forget to reset the switch, etc.), or if you are testing the system out by manually triggering the timer, you can decrypt the files using this decryption program. Just make very sure you remember your password!!!"

download via the Wayback Machine: Size: 439558 bytes MD5: 88C2B65360763679B58361EB21AF5503

NOTE: there other reminder programs that could be used to trigger an email (if not reset to a later date).

Susan

Reply to
Susan Bugher

Tony Hwang wrote in news:pcVqw.349016$Mn4.83940 @fx12.iad:

I email my sister daily as she requested but often she doesn't check her email for several days.

Nope, no neighbors I know.

Reply to
KenK

Susan Bugher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Hmmm. Interesting. I thought of writing my own but I've not done any programming for too long. I'll have to look into your suggestion. Thanks much!

Reply to
KenK

Check into her email program. Mine gives me a voice alert and visual notification icon when I get an email. You can get her a free email address that's just for you and alerts separately. Instant messaging that pops up an alert?

You have the hard part done...someone who cares about you. The rest is just making the alert work reliably. The weak link is your sister. Make it difficult to ignore. You have to fix that on her end. SHE needs a program the alerts if she didn't get the email.

Around here we have senior centers. They'll feed you for free if you need it or for a nominal fee if you don't. Lunch is a great place to meet neighborhood seniors to network with. Ditto for churches. There's no substitute for having someone who cares about you nearby.

Reply to
mike

You're welcome. I've had the program file for a long time - downloaded it again to make sure the Wayback Machine wasn't adding an extra bit to the file (it's been known to do that). No problem there.

BUT. . .

I unzipped the file and started the app (just to take a look at the interface.as I've never used it). Shut it down (I thought) and later attempted to delete the newer file - no go - apparently it was still running. I made sure the app's setting was to NOT start when the computer was booted - then tried but couldn't do a normal computer shut-down. I'm running Windows XP. I turned the computer off, restarted it and was able to delete the newer file. I may play around with the app some more to see if I missed something but thought a quick heads-up was in order. Susan

Reply to
Susan Bugher

I can see a lot of liability for a service like that. If you have an alarm system just get a medical pendant. Free might be churches and other charities, but I wouldn't rely on a free Internet-based service.

Anyway, if you have a Gmail account... you should know about this:

If you don't log in (can set from 3-18 months) they call you to see if you're still kicking. If no answer - your account credentials can be given to a trusted one.

__________________________________

Inactive Account Manager What should happen to your photos, emails and documents when you stop using your account? Google puts you in control.

You might want your data to be shared with a trusted friend or family member, or, you might want your account to be deleted entirely. There are many situations that might prevent you from accessing or using your Google account. Whatever the reason, we give you the option of deciding what happens to your data.

Using Inactive Account Manager, you can decide if and when your account is treated as inactive, what happens with your data and who is notified. Timeout period

You set a timeout period, after which your account can be treated as inactive. The timeout period starts with your last sign-in to your Google account. Alert me

Inactive Account Manager will alert you via text message and optionally email before the timeout period ends. Notify contacts and share data

Add trusted contacts who should be made aware that you are no longer using your account. You can also share data with them if you like. Optionally delete account

If you wish, instruct Google to delete your account on your behalf.

Reply to
G. Morgan

mike wrote in news:m8jvr8$8ti$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Trouble is, I think she only logs on the net a few times a week, or even turns on the computer. Unlike me and many others she has a life beyond the net and computers. Lots of volunteering, visiting and playing with grandkids, walking, etc. Smart!

I live in the country so that likely wouldn't help much. Worth thinking about though. I'll have to try to remember to look into it.

Reply to
KenK