OT: NBC to trump, You're fired!

Page 1 of 2
I wonder how much more of the Donald we're going to have to see. He got a good dose of his own medicine. And I wonder what becomes of the Miss Universe, Miss America pagents? Hard to imagine another network running up to add them. Plus sponsors are dropping out. And even more so for The Apprentice, who's going to pick that up? Not that any of it matters all that much, but it's fun to watch.

With all the junk programming onthe air, you would think NBC would want programs that people would watch. I am not sure how many he has for those as I don't watch the pagents and not the celeberty apprentice. I did like the regular people on the apprentice.
This may be a case of what was said of Elvis and his busisness manager. A magazine wanted to put Elvis's picture on the cover and the manager wanted to know how much they were going to pay. The magazine said they were giving free advertising, and the manager said Elvis did not need any and his picture would be the selling point of the magazine.
This country seems to be comming more Natiz or Com trying to ban everything that may offend someone. Soon there will not be anything left. So much for free speech.
Look at what hapened to the Duck Dynisty show. They got in trouble,but the fans supported them and the show went on when one of the biggest shows was going to be canceled.

This was a lot of BS on the part of NBC. The pagent hasn't been much of a rating force for years and The Apprentice was already off the schedule because of FCC Fairness Doctorine concerns. NBC hardly did anything all that brave.
but what they conceal is vital.?

--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²

The "fairness doctrine" has been gone since the 80s. There may be an ethical problem with a candidate having a TV show but it is not illegal. Even though it was a joke, Colbert was a registered candidate and he still had his show.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Colbert was on cable with a different set of rules. It wasn't the fairness doctrine it was the equal time rule. Very simply, if an FCC licensed broadcaster allows a legally qualified candidate on the air, it must provide an equal opportunity to all other qualified candidates
but what they conceal is vital."

That was certainly the rule before the 80s but it is no longer a rule. Networks may still use it as a guideline tho.
OTOH Pat Paulsen was a registered candidate in 1968 and participated in the New Hampshire primary ... while still being a regular on the Smothers Brothers Show.
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:28:44 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sure looks like Wiki thinks it's still the law. That was my understanding too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-time_rule
"The equal-time rule specifies that U.S. radio and television broadcast sta tions must provide an equivalent opportunity to any opposing political cand idates who request it. This means, for example, that if a station gives one free minute to a candidate in prime time, it must do the same for another candidate who requests it. The equal-time rule was created because the FCC thought the stations could easily manipulate the outcome of elections by pr esenting just one point of view, and excluding other candidates. It should not be confused with the now-defunct Fairness Doctrine, which dealt with pr esenting balanced points of view on matters of public importance."
Like Kurt said, I think you're confusing it with the fairness doctrine.
On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 08:49:42 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

If anyone really thinks this is a rule, they don't watch much TV. If there was truly "equal time" the networks would have to give (free) equal time for paid ads.
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 12:57:37 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

om>

ate

it

ng

stations must provide an equivalent opportunity to any opposing political c andidates who request it. This means, for example, that if a station gives one free minute to a candidate in prime time, it must do the same for anoth er candidate who requests it. The equal-time rule was created because the F CC thought the stations could easily manipulate the outcome of elections by presenting just one point of view, and excluding other candidates. It shou ld not be confused with the now-defunct Fairness Doctrine, which dealt with presenting balanced points of view on matters of public importance."

It doesn't apply when a candidate, party, PAC etc is *paying* for the air time. Unless I guess if the station gave paid time to party A and refused to give similar time to party B. The issue is when the station gives some candidate free air time, eg Trump with the Apprentice. IDK if it's ever been challenged as to whether some show like that which isn't political doesn't matter, but it would seem it does. Just giving him time to put his mug up there amounts to something.
On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 10:09:04 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

So all they really did was be sure only rich people have a voice. Doesn't sound very "equal" to me. Even if I accept that an only being "paid time", the actual things said in "entertainment" programs and even hard news shows bears no resemblance to "equal time". The bias of the media companies comes at us, non-stop.
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:03:37 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

He might just take his show over to Fox where they don't mind pissing off the Latinos. I was surprised that NBC carried that pageant anyway. Aren't the feminists pissed about it?

Christie did get into it today. He was well liked in 2013, but has gone down hill from there. From the last while and all the hugging up to Obama he did lately, doubt he would be any better. It is not the last two loosers, but the US has not had any world wide respect from the time Reagan left office. I am not saying he was any betteror worse, but atleast the world respected him and the US.
It would be good to see what a business man could do instead of the career politicians.
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:55:27 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Perhaps but Trump is more of a huckster than a businessman.
donald should resign from everything and crawl into a hole somewhere, preferably in a garbage dump drain..
if he resigned from everything the pagent could go on without him
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 2:55:56 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

All the hugging up to Obama? The only hugging up to Obama I saw was when OBama visited NJ, just days after Hurricane Sandy, Christie toured the state with him, thanked him for the FEMA help, etc. What would you expect any governor to do?
It is not the last two

You're already seeing examples of what he would do. And he's potentially going to screw this whole election for the Republicans. IMO, the longer he stays in, the worse it's going to get. What he just did with the LAtino community for example. Some of that stench is going to be associated with *all* Republicans. Hillary must be sooo happy he's running.
On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 06:15:49 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

The point of a primary is for the people of each party to trash each other and Trump has given the rest of the field a way to embrace the latinos. It may actually be a good thing for guys like Jeb and Marco.

you forgot Ben Carson

His mom must be quite a woman. She got Carson and his brother into college despite herself having only a third grade education. I think she'd work three jobs at times as a domestic. She made Carson and his brother read a couple books a week and submit book reports to her. I guess she had problems reading the reports due to her lack of education. They didn't live in the swanky parts of town, of course.

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 7:14:59 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Ben Carson and his mother should be a role models for black Americans. Instead, many of them and the libs will portray him as some kind of Uncle Tom, because he's successful, did the right things, took personal responsibility and is conservative.