OT? My WOP Cousins Are Out Of Their Freaking Minds

Seven Italians convicted of manslaughter for not sounding alarm about deadly 2009 earthquake.

This has got to be the goofiest criminal prosecution I've read about in a long time. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It was on the box over here too. Really weird that one. I mean no-one can predict earthquakes anyway so predicting the strength must be impossible. But then..... Italy. The land of bunga bunga parties.

Reply to
harry

The result of being judged by twelve people too stupid to get out of jury duty.

Reply to
me

You think people may be a bit TOO dependant on government to protect them from nature?

.

This has got to be the goofiest criminal prosecution I've read about in a long time. O_o

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank goodness, Giuseppe Logullo foresaw this over 100 years ago and left the boot and came here.

Reply to
Frank

Apparently you didn't read the article or even realize that the system of 12 jurors isn't used in much of the world.

They were convicted by a JUDGE.

Probably wouldn't have happened if they used a jury. It will be interesting to see what they get as a result. I predict either there will be a very generic message about earthquake probabilities in the future that essentially says nothing, and/or most geologists will find jobs that don't require them to make any public predictions at all.

Reply to
trader4

My maternal ancestors are from Naples and my late mother was one of the wackiest women I've ever known, so I guess it fits. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Precedent.

Now if they could just do the same for the Global Warming folks...

Reply to
HeyBub