OT: My personal test of 20 free offline Android gps map routing applications

Page 3 of 4
On 12/23/2013 03:50 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Except for the coverage :-( Minimal inside my house (sometimes none), but OK out in front of my neighbor's house. Perfect, right? Fortunately I don't need it at home. Also nothing on my favorite ski slope, although my friend's Verizon works fine. Oh well.

I canceled AT&T LD when they wanted to charge me for NOT using it. Ultimately we canceled their land line and bought an Ooma device. Screw you, AT&T. Been a long time since you were a reputable organization. Decades.

Probably a bad mistake.

I always thought LG was cheesy. Is this a mistake too?

Not much use for it since all the people I know have free LD and would let me use their phone if I had to make an LD call. Good on vacation, though.

I knew somebody who was friends with Captain Crunch.

I really hate AT&T.
--
Cheers, Bev
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 20:58:28 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

I've had all three (Verizon, AT&T, & T-Mobile), albeit sequentially, in that order.
IMHO, they're about the same with respect to coverage in the Silicon Valley.
I'm positive they differ elsewhere, but, at least where *I* travel, the coverage is about the same. They even share antennas, I'm told.
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 06:21:37 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

They all cover large cities pretty well. Got outside of a metropolitan area and the difference gets quite clear. Verizon is the only one with true nation-wide coverage. They're the only one who will even sell me service in my area and I live in a major metropolitan area.

I'm sure they share towers in some areas but antennas?
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 18:41:23 -0500, krw wrote:

I don't disagree.
I've had all three, over time, and each covered the major areas, and each failed to cover the boondocks.
If Verizon was GSM, they'd be in my selection list; but, I only use GSM phones so AT&T & T-Mobile are my choices.
I left Verizon because they pissed me off about renegotiating my contract when I swapped out a broken phone for a new one; and I left AT&T for charging for data I didn't want to pay for; but, now it seems that any *new* plan on T-Mobile does the same.
Sigh. I guess I'll stay on my grandfathered $70/month T-Mobile plan for a family of 4 for a while ...
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 22:38:43 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

Why insist on GSM?

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 19:44:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Makes phone use during world travel a lot easier :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Buy a throw-away when you get there. GSM is useless in the US.
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 00:57:20 -0500, krw wrote:

I understand your point, which is that Verizon is well entrenched in the USA (i.e., CDMA).
But, where I travel (mostly the Silicon Valley and San Francisco Bay Area), T-Mobile and AT&T worked just fine for me.
So, GSM is decidedly *not* useless in the USA. It's pretty darn good.
Having said that, I don't disagree that Verizon does have some areas sewn up; but not the Silicon Valley (which is all I really know well).
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 06:34:20 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

So you're worried about travel around the world but not across the US?
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 10:14:41 -0500, krw wrote:

I didn't want to get too deeply into it, but, of course I've travelled in the USA, and, yes, I bring my phone with me.
I've had no problems with T-Mobile in Texas, Massachusetts, NYC, Tampa, Phoenix, Reno, Las Vegas, and dozens of other cities.
I did have problems in NJ, and in Yellowstone National Park.
But, my point isn't that I am the final arbiter of whether or not GSM is useless in the USA. We can just look up the numbers.
Just because *you* like Verizon, doesn't make AT&T & T-Mobile useless.
Gimme a sec to look up coverage maps ... http://opensignal.com/network-coverage-maps/
There's nothing wrong with Verizon coverage, but, there's nothing wrong with AT&T or T-Mobile coverage either. All cover many areas, and all don't cover some areas.
For you to say GSM is useless in the USA is so far from correct that it begs proof on your side as to why you keep saying that.
Again, I'm not saying Verizon stinks - it was great when I had it; but so was AT&T, and so was T-Mobile. They're all great in the USA.
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 21:55:55 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

In the large cities, no. Between cities (as little as 20mi out), forget it. There are even huge Interstate holes in coverage.

You will here, too.

*I* don't like Verizon. There is no other choice. The rest just don't cut it. They aren't even available in my area and I live within in a large metropolitan area.

Nonsense. AT&T and I-Moble have terrible coverage.

Experience. If you look at the detailed maps, the picture is *very* clear.

Bullshit.
On 12/29/2013 07:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

T-Mobile (GSM) has a $10/year plan which is just right for me, even though coverage is skimpier here than it might be. If I need to make a phone call in Mexico I'll borrow somebody else's phone.
--
Cheers, Bev
" While in high school, we were encouraged to keep a daily journal.
On Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:57:20 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

That isn't true. Both AT&T and Tmobile use GSM and are major carriers in the USA.
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 19:44:01 -0500, krw wrote:

Three reasons, although CDMA works too, even without those three: 1) GSM means you have a choice of carriers using the same phone for either (although your choice is mostly just one of the two biggies in the US)
2. GSM means you can travel to the rest of the world & use their SIM cards (although unlocked dumb GSM phones are cheap nowadays)
3. GSM means you can have dual SIM phones so you can have two carriers (although that's only useful in certain instances)
I agree that these advantages aren't all that spectacular; but, it's not easy to do those three things with Verizon (although it can be done if you have the right phone).
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 07:23:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I agree. Here's an AT&T coverage map: http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html
Here's a T-Mobile coverage lookup: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html
I'm not saying coverage maps are the final arbiter of accuracy, but, I will decidedly say I've had all three major US carriers for years (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile), and, I've travelled in the USA during that time.
I didn't run statistics, and they were all sequential so there aren't side-by-side comparisons, but, I have found that the coverage of all three was about the same. It was excellent for all three.
So, whether or not I go CDMA or GSM in the future, it won't be based on USA coverage (since they're all good).
On Monday, December 23, 2013 6:50:27 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

Check out Zact. They are one of the new cheap, flexible companies that ride on the Sprint network. Similar to Ting. It's prepaid, you can dial in the amount of call minutes, data, text that you want for the month. If you go to their website and click on the order now button, it will bring up a cell phone where you can dial in and play with the numbers you want and it shows on the right the monthly cost, which is very reasonable. If you select to much of anything, they give you a $$ credit back, instead of rolling them over. And if you go over, you can add to it during the month.
I got a ZTE AWE smartphone for $100 at BestBuy Mobile (not regular BB), with 4 months of service for free. The free service includes 300 mins voice, 500 txts, 500mb data. To get any kind of smart phone on Verizon would cost me $90+ taxes/fees per month.
After that I figured the way I use the phone, I probably need:
500 min voice 25 txts 100 MB data
That works out to $21 month. I think the calculator on their website shows $13, then there is a $5/line monthly charge and $3 in tax/fees.
You could increase those usages by quite a lot and still it's a really good deal. For example, 700v, 100t, 250d is still just $30 a month. They are similar in price to Ting, but with Ting the blocks of mins come in bigger increments, more like a regular carrier, and the prices jump in bigger increments accordingly. If you actually use all the Ting mins in the Ting bundle, then their price is close to Zact. Other difference is with Zact you need to buy a Zact phone. With Ting you can bring over most phones that will work on Sprint.
I've had it a week now and am very happy with both the phone and service. The call quality isn't as good on it as on Verizon, and Verizon has the best coverage, at least here in the NJ/NYC area. But it's good, I haven't had any dropped calls, etc. A lot would depend on what Sprint coverage is like in any given area.
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 20:58:28 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

Heh heh ... I have an Ooma also. It's nice. I even googled for the cheapest 911 zip code so that I could pay only the $3.71/month tax for life instead of the $5 or so that it is for the Silicon Valley.
The only problem with the Ooma is that I get my Internet over the air, and, unfortunately, my "jitter" is greater than 9ms, so, every once in a while, the conversation gets funky.
But, the wife calls Germany all the time, & at 2 cents a minute (for landlines anyway), it's just the same as Skype but she gets to use a real telephone with Ooma (instead of a Skype phone).
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 20:58:28 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

It's a trade off. I wish Google would just put the SDcard slot in, and then it would be a no brainer.
But, apparently they want to push you toward their cloud services.
Sometimes a card slot isn't as useful as you would think though, simply because some apps (and cellular providers) force certain apps to run from system memory.
But, I found that this free app is pretty good at moving things from system memory to the SDcard: Advanced SD Card Manager
On 12/24/2013 03:26 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

It used to be more useful before Android took away the ability for you to read the SD card directly from a PC through a USB connection. Now I have to physically remove the SD card, and I think the slot on my phone is starting to get funky as sometimes I have to insert it twice before it's recognized :(
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 12/25/2013 04:50 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

As usual, it can't move anything to the external card if the card is known as /storage/sdcard1.

You can still read the internal storage via USB, but wifi sees only the external card. I use ES File explorer on the phone to transfer files to/from the computer, but haven't figured out how to do that from the computer, which would be a LOT easier. Something via the router, but...
Still, via USB I just cleared out some cruft from internal storage (each empty subdirectory uses 16K, not a big deal, but garbage is garbage :-( At one point I didn't know you were supposed to clear the data before you uninstall an app.
There's a 'Magix' subdirectory which contains 6 MB of stuff, but I don't know what uses it so I left it alone.
--
Cheers, Bev