OT: My personal test of 20 free offline Android gps map routing applications

Yes, though it's a little more complicated than shorting two pins. The data pins are tied up, or down, with resistors of a particular value. The charging device then reads these resistors to program its charging rate. If the charger doesn't recognize these, it'll only charge at the USB rate (.5A). If a charger is smart enough, it'll read these resistors and know what is on the other end so can charge it faster.

Doesn't make sense. The charge rate doesn't affect the battery's capacity, only its charge time.

On 12/26/2013 11:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I can't find a link because the phone's been long discontinued, but I remember reading that the max charge current was limited by a firmware change to 700-something mA. Apparently the phone was *using* more than that when I had my usual suite of in the car apps running.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 12/24/2013 01:03 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

As in "won't work at all" or "just takes a lot longer"?
--
Cheers, Bev
On 12/25/2013 06:15 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Depends on how you use it. I haven't tried, but I'm guessing a 500 mA charger would allow the same issue I originally described (battery slowly draining while running a navigation app) on many phones.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 19:02:57 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

I'm gonna haf'ta agree with Nate.
I can only see two outcomes if the charger can't keep up with the current draw of the phone.
1. The phone battery will have to supply the missing current, which, will drain the battery, only slower than without the charger.
2. The charger is going to heat up, and might even blow its fuse (most have them, but not all). Most fuses are something like 2 or 3 amps, and they're on the 12 volt side, so, that's 24 to 36 Watts.
The *simple* answer is always get at least a dual port, 2 Amp USB charger, that can put out at least 1 amp from each port.
Personally, the best I've found are 2.1Amp (for the iPad) on one port, and 1 Amp on the other.
The funny thing is that they don't cost any more; but you have to read all the writing on the package and throw down (with disgust) any that don't say the amperage clearly, and whether it's concomitant or not.
On 12/25/2013 10:15 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I just ordered one like that from buy.com for $6.99 (free, actually, they gave me $10 and no tax or shipping). Was that a good price?
I also got a nice pink microUSB cable for 99 cents at the 99-Cents-Only Store.

2.1A duals are ~$4, so I blew the extra $3!
--
Cheers, Bev
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 14:18:02 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

Just be sure that the wattage and amperage add up!
For example, this was posted on comp.mobile.android today: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/evogue-oem-3-1-amp-10w-fast-dual-usb-heavy-duty-ouput-car-charger/245314962.html
Notice the advertising lies.
It says it's 3.1 Amps but it also says it's 10 Watts!
Do you see the lie?
HINT: USB is 5 Volts and P=IV (so P/V = I), which makes I = 2.1 Amps, not 3.1 Amps!
What they're saying, without saying it to someone who doesn't know the details, is that you can get only 2.1 Amps (which is the iPad mandated current) out of the thing OR 1 Amp.
Notice, since it's *not* 15 Watts, you can't get 2.1 Amps AND 1 Amp.
That makes the advertising a lie, although technically, they didn't lie. They only mislead those who don't understand what I wrote above.
What you *want* are 2.1 Amps *and* 1 Amp slots, which is a true 15 Watt 3.1 Amp dual-port USB car charger!
Details matter (in advertising).
On 12/27/2013 11:32 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

FEH!

--
Cheers, Bev
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 14:18:02 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

The minimum that *I* would buy is 2.1 Amp (the iPad uses the most current so that's why it's the funny number) PLUS a simultaneous 1 A Amp, which is 15 Watts:
Here is one I'd buy for $8 (it is 3.1 Amps, or 15 Watts): (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Here is one I would NOT buy at $7 (it is 3.1 Amps but only 10 Watts): http://www.rakuten.com/prod/evogue-oem-3-1-amp-10w-fast-dual-usb-heavy-duty-ouput-car-charger/245314962.html
Notice that second one is really only 2.1 Amp *or* 1 Amp (but not both!).
Also notice the price is about the same, so, price is (as always) never an indication of quality.
What matters are the specs, and knowing what they mean, and knowing what *you* want.
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 20:27:24 -0500, krw wrote:

Yup!
In a couple of years, I can't imagine Garmin, TomTom, & Magellan still selling tons of dedicated GPS units.
They'll need to either go where the money is (e.g., aviation, military, commercial, automotive assembly, etc.), or, write kick-butt Android/iPhone apps.
I can imagine the marketing guys saying "We don't want to go the way of Kodak, now do we?" ...
On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 01:54:06 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

Already been done.

Any company, if it doesn't reinvent itself will go that way. The question is when, and are they willing to compete against themselves (and their sacred, i.e. milk, cows) to delay the inevitable.
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 21:23:57 -0500, krw wrote:

Well then, we should all short the Garmin (et. al.) stock!
:)
On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 04:58:28 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

I certainly wouldn't own stock in a company that's lost it's primary market. Only a few have recovered.
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 19:04:54 -0800, SMS wrote:

Hi SMS, Long time, no see. (Someday, we should meet, face to face, mano e mano)...
Anyway ...
I know Lawrence Expressway rather well, having worked at NSM in my earlier days, over by Kifer. I agree. Nobody would call it G2, just like nobody in California seems to know what a mile marker is nor what an exit number is (nor the direction that all exits count in). They *do* call it "the" 101, though. :)
Regarding the tools ...
That you sprung for CoPilot is interesting, as, it's the *only* one tested worth paying for (IMHO), since, the Navteq maps are great; and hthe POIs work offline nicely so do the phone numbers integrate nicely with the phone (try that you dedicated portable GPS units!); and the CoPilot routing allows easy alternates from the start. You can even *drag* routes with your fingers!
The only thing lacking in the CoPilot freeware is the TTS and Voice Guidance.
SMS: I have one bit of confusion about CoPilot speech. It seemed to me, that during my 14-day trial, it only spoke spoken directions (i.e., turn left, turn right, etc.); but not TTS road names (i.e., turn left onto G2, turn right onto Lawrence Expressway, etc.).
Can you confirm that the payware CoPilot does both the spoken directions (aka "voice guidance") and spoken street names (aka Text-to-Speech)?
Danny
PS: The Pool Guys, in Saratoga, changed their chlorine policy due to HASA changing the way they reimbursed them ... (I tried to hail you on that when it happened.) It's now buy 6 gallons, get two free (plus coupon incentives). FYI ...
On 12/23/2013 10:17 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

I was at NSM for many years too, 1993-2000. And I never use "the." I'm not from Southern California.

Interesting you should mention that because I found that on my tablet it speaks street names and my phone it doesn't. I need to check that again as perhaps a recent update removed the TTS.
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 16:04:20 -0800, sms wrote:

I was in building D. I won't say no' more, otherwise the NSA will be on to me ... Too bat TI took 'em over ... and Burr Brown ... sigh. All the analog icons ... dead. Turned into CAD departments. :)
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 16:04:20 -0800, sms wrote:

Interesting.
I scanned the CoPilot advertisement, and, it *might* be that you have to pay *twice* to get *both* the spoken directions and street names.
It seems, but I'm not sure, that the spoken directions come first, and, then, if you pay more? ... Then you get the spoken street names.
It's all so confusing ...
What I *do* know is that, in my first 14 days of testing CoPilot on Android, it did NOT speak street names. It only spoke directions.
voice guidance => turn left in 500 feet TTS => turn left in 500 feet onto Lawrence Expressway
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:56:26 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

To do map routing when (a) you don't have a data plan, or (b) when you're far from a cellular signal.
I don't have a data plan on my cell phone.
So I have to be a bit more clever about how to get my map directions once I get passed, oh, about the end of my driveway.

Agreed. GPS sucks that power, making my phone hot!
I have to keep my Samsung Galaxy S3 on the cigarette lighter 3.1 Amp dual-port USB charger when the GPS is turned on; otherwise, that puny battery is dead within a couple of hours.

Only two that I can think of: a) Works for people (like me) who don't have a data plan b) Works when you're out in the boondocks

You have to try the Google "My Tracks" hiking app! It's really nice for topographical hikes, like those SMS and I have out here in the mountains.
On 12/23/2013 10:36 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

If you don't use the phone much, T-Mobile gives you a pre-paid plan for $10/year which gives you ~30 additional minutes which roll over every year once you've bought $100 worth of time. Talkatone gives you VOIP to any ordinary phone as long as you have wifi (that doesn't block VOIP, of course). Not good for compulsive babblers, of course, but perfect for people who only make "I'll be there in 5 minutes, don't leave" etc. calls. I've got something like 700 minutes and I'll get 30 more in February. My greatest fear is that T-Mobile will be absorbed by somebody who eliminates the $10 plan :-(

I can run GPS on my BLU Dash 4.5 all day. I hate seeing remaining battery power less than 50%, but it's not a problem as long as I can recharge it overnight.
Worst problem is the minimal internal storage and refusal to use the external card to store/run apps :-(

I tried using that, but it seemed to drop out quite a bit. 'GPS Status' seems to help maintain GPS contact, as well as showing which satellites are being used, but I have no explanation for why that might be.
Real nuisance to have to wait for the first fix, which takes between 2 and 5 minutes :-(
--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:14:40 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

I've had that T-Mobile plan in the past, and it's pretty good.
In fact, I had Verizon for my first (analog) phone, and, used Verizon for years - that is - until they thought it was funny to restart my 2-year contract under different terms simply because I had a broken phone swapped out under their repair plan.
So, I had moved to AT&T - whom I had for a few years - until they thought it was funny to charge me for a data plan I didn't want on what they arbitrarily call a smart phone.
So, I moved to T-Mobile, and have been using them ever since, without a data plan, and buying my smart phones on the net. I've studied them extensively, and know exactly which Android phones are the best value under $200 total cost brand new, taking into account variant system memory, RAM, display, and CPU power: - Nexus 4 (at the $200 price drop) - Moto G (orders taking now) - LG Optimus L9 - LG Optimus F3
T-Mobile also allows automatic WiFi calling when you're at home, but you need a good antenna inside the house (which is the topic of a different thread on alt.internet.wireless that I'll tell you the punch line, which is the Ubiquiti UniFy access point: (Amazon.com product link shortened)_sc_1?rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Ck%3Aunifi+access+point&keywords=unifi+access+point&ie=UTF8&qid87842268

I have Talkatone but the only time *I* use it is when my niece, studying overseas, uses it to call from her cell phone to mine. College kids always know how to save money!

When I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile, I was worried AT&T would swallow T-Mobile and we'd lose the ability to to not have to have a data plan!