(OT) Must I allow political calls on my phone?

Page 2 of 2

You'd probably get a different answer from the priests. (-" Most of the nuns I remember had faces so hard and unfeminine and dispositions so mean you could actually see why the priests turned to altar boys for love.
As for growing out of it, surely you've heard the old saw:
"Ninety five percent of men admit to mastubating occasionally - the other five percent are liars.
-- Bobby G.

Euchre is like sex... if you have a good enough hand you don't need a partner.

friends of my grand daughter often answer such calls 'Governor's Office of consumer protection Do Not Call Complaints' or Attorney General of STATE office -- Do Not Call complaints.
Calls to those numbers have drop considerably.
snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

I'll play along. What is the capacity of your machine, how often do you check it, how long are the messages, typically, and how many of them do you get in a day, or however long it is you go without checking / deleting?
I'm asking because I'm thinking you could by hyperbolizing, or perhaps you just need a machine with longer recording time, or you need to check it more often. I've never heard of anyone's machine actually being "filled up" with political calls. I'd have to get 20 times the call volume I get, for that to happen to me.

Answering machine? How quaint. Okay, you rarely answer your phone but yet you're worried about losing "important calls".
Go away kid; you bother me...
Oren wrote:

It wasn't the politicians. First, the FCC exempted political calls to cell phones. Then the Federal Trade Commission said political and charitable calls were okay.
As an aside, while the politicians COULD legislate to overrule the FTC, they know that the courts have been very, very strict about anything interfering with political free speech.
Maybe you could program your answering machine to accept only ten seconds worth of message? Of course you should warn the caller about that, else you could get messages such as your daughter calling and saying: "Dad! The car broke down. I'm in a really bad part of town. There are some guys on the corner pointing at me and licking their lips! I'm at..."
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:44:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

Move to maryland or one of the other states where it's certain who will win. We don't get calls, we don't get tv or radio commercials, or more than a couple mailings. We barely know what's going on. When a famous political commercial is discussed, we don't know what it says.
You have to pay for this, but there are phone company options that only let some callers through. Wait, that's email. Maybe it's that you can get a second number that will ring the same phones but ring it differently. Then you have to give that number to people you like. Of course that takes time, and maybe the political callers just call phone numbers in numeric order, so they'll get you anyhow. (I don't thinkit's because you registered to vote. At least in Md. Ididnt' give them my phone number. )
So I guess I have no good ideas. Sorry.
Yes, you are hereby ordered to accept any and all calls.
http://soundcloud.com/jetcityorange/om-mani-padme-hum-phone-call
Play this into the phone for unwanted callers.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:44:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

Right. Political speech is traditionally considered one of the most protected, and even though blocking the calls would not be a violation of the first amendment, since they can say whatever they want somewhere else
I haven't got time to read this right now, It's 100 dollars but seems to do several things. http://www.digitone.com/Digitone%20Call%20Blocker.htm
This is what I referred to in another post It wasn't a fax tone. It was the squeal that it makes when you call a disconnected number. If this does't work, you can probably call a disconnected number and record the tone. Put the tone at the start of your phone machine's message. People may wonder what it is but at least the second time your friend's call they[ll wait on the line past the tone.
http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html
Margaret writes
Here's the answer to all our prayers. Telemarketers almost exclusively use "autodialers" to make their calls. One out of a thousand will have live reps doing the dialing. When these dialers connect (you answer the phone) they listen for any "tones" generated. If no "tones" are detected they then transfer the call to one of the reps in a call center. "IF" the autodialer hears the 3 beeps from
-- I wouldn't call them beeps. I think they were like oooeeeooo. And I don't know which sound on that page is the one you want, because I'm too in a hurry to read them all. Let us know which is the right one. --
dialing a "DISCONNECTED" number, the number that was just dialed is automatically "REMOVED" from their list. Below is a link that has this "tone" plus the verbal message. You DO NOT need the verbal message. Download or copy the "DISCONNECTED" MP3 or WAV file to your desktop. Create or change the greeting you have when someone calls you and you're not available. At the VERY BEGINNING of your message place the 3 tones (NOT THE VOICE MESSAGE) then continue with your usual or normal greeting. The autodialer will hear the tones and BINGO, your number will be removed since they think it's a disconnected number. DONE. In a few weeks you will be removed from all the lists. Of course you may have to explain the tones to the callers you DO want to speak to but that's a small tradeoff. Pass this info on to anyone you know that gets junk calls or even help post this on these websites. GET RID OF JUNK / SPAM CALLS.
http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html
This might be the sound. They are more like beeps than I remember, but not quite. I guess I haven't gotten this for a long time.
About 3/4's of the time I misdial, I get a number not in service, so it should be easy enough to do that on purpose and hear the current tone.
http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds/wav/bell/disconnected.wav and in mp3 http://www.payphone-directory.org/mp3stream.php?mp3 ll/disconnected
Wow, here's the same thing from GTE. She sounds a lot cuter. I'm going to try to switch my service to GTE. http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds/wav/gtenational/disconnected.wav But the tones sound alike, so t hey must be agreed on.

In 2012 btw, so maybe this all still works.
But I quoted her here.

One more thing
The phone company WILL let you block calls that don't provide a return call number. I don't know if there's a charge for this or not, or if you can turn it on and off yourself or not
There are loads of new options, that used to be listed in the front of hte white pages, but in MD aren't anymore.
This is one of the features of the $100 thing I posted about, but you don't need there machine to do it (of course if there's a monthly charge from the phone company, but paying 100 will be a one-time charge, it's probably worth it. It says
"How it works
The Digitone Call Blocker 10 comes from the factory preset to allow all callers with a valid phone number displayed to ring through just like normal. Block unwanted calls are Unknown, Unavailable, Out of Area, Anonymous, Private or any name without a phone number and will be hung up on. Also, the phones throughout your home or office will continue to ring on Invited calls until the seventh ring, when the call blocker will answer the call and hang up to prevent a caller from tying up the line. Alternatively, if you miss your Invited caller, your OWN, IF YOU HAVE ONE combo phone/answer machine or your phone company's voice mail service will take a message for you. "
http://www.digitone.com/Digitone%20Call%20Blocker.htm

If the caller doesn't allow their number to be displayed with caller ID I let it roll to voicemail. If the call comes from an area code that is out of my area I let that go to voicemail, too. Cuts down on the annoyances.