OT Mozilla thunderbird help

My Mozilla has failed to connect to three different usenet groups. One, then another, and then a third. Says "no new messages". I've tried right click, properties, repair folder. I've tried getting into hidden files, delete the MSF file, and re download.
None of this seems to help.
Win XP sp 3 or 4, can't remember.
What to try, next?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/13/2014 03:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That happened to me once.
I unsubscribed from the newsgroup and closed Thunderbird.
I then re-opened it and resubscribed and it was ok
On 2/13/2014 4:24 PM, philo wrote:

I did that, and a couple of MS software updates. Got messages on the other Usenet groups. Still goes into "not responding" on a regular basis, hope that's some better. Thank you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/13/2014 06:29 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Try another news-server entirely such as news.eternal-septemeber.org or
freenews.netfront.net
I always have a few ready to go if one of them flakes out
philo wrote:

Curious.
Why wouldn't you recommend he try aioe.org (nntp.aioe.org)? A server that requires no account to use, so he could forgo the added complication of obtaining a username and password.

I don't recommend aioe because its admin allows it to be a haven for spammers and trolls.
Nil wrote:

What spam have you seen from AIOE? Can you post an example of such "spam"?
And there are no "trolls" that post using other servers?
Do you know how easy it is to obtain a user-name and password to use other servers - like maternal september? Can you explain how that trivial hurdle is really effective at preventing postings that you deem as spam or trollish?

One of the Windows XP groups has a guy who posts through aioe who spams ads selling stolen credit card numbers. He's been doing it for years.

You said that, not me.

The difference is that other news admins will respond to complaints. As far as I can tell, the aioe admin ignores complaints and lets the spammers live there as long as they like.
On 02/13/2014 07:29 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I use it, but because it requires no registration... at least one of the groups I normally subscribe to automatically dis-allows posting .
Oren wrote:

That's like saying you're not going to drive your car down Main Street because bank robbers also use Main Street to make their get-away.
Do you know how stupid that logic is?

Do you know what the limit is smart guy? I bet you don't.
Again - here's another analogy. "I'm not going to buy or own a car, because there is a speed limit of 65 mph and I'm not going to own or use anything where I'm limited like that."
I post a lot - and I've NEVER hit the daily limit. And it's not because I change identity - the limit looks at your IP address.

Like I said, the post-counter on AIOE doesn't look at your posting identity. It looks at your IP address.

American's haven't yet figured out where their ass is, let alone anything else.

That sentence makes no sense.

I pride the fact that our intelligence has allowed us to have and maintain a society that is not as screwed up as yours.

Don't shoot the messenger.
You probably don't have any bullets (because the DHS bought them all).

Which is your way of saying "I'm going to stick my head back in the sand now".

Ouch.
On 2/13/2014 7:33 PM, philo wrote:

Yes, that's great wisdom. I tried to set up ES, but wasn't able to put in the log and password.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/14/2014 06:21 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

In Thunderbird for server settings....security
set it to 'none'
also check the box 'always request authentication'
IIRC the first time I went to get newsgroups I was prompted for user name and password.

Try accessing the groups through this link:
www.homeownershub.com

What's really funny is that when I tested my link to homeownershub, right on the main front page was Stormin Mormon's post, his name prominently displayed.
Oh, the irony!
On 2/13/2014 4:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Then I'd have blocked myself. No fun at all.
--
.
Christopher A. Young