OT Mozilla thunderbird help

My Mozilla has failed to connect to three different usenet groups. One, then another, and then a third. Says "no new messages". I've tried right click, properties, repair folder. I've tried getting into hidden files, delete the MSF file, and re download.

None of this seems to help.

Win XP sp 3 or 4, can't remember.

What to try, next?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That happened to me once.

I unsubscribed from the newsgroup and closed Thunderbird.

I then re-opened it and resubscribed and it was ok

Reply to
philo

Try accessing the groups through this link:

DerbyDad03

What's really funny is that when I tested my link to homeownershub, right on the main front page was Stormin Mormon's post, his name prominently displayed.

Oh, the irony!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I did that, and a couple of MS software updates. Got messages on the other Usenet groups. Still goes into "not responding" on a regular basis, hope that's some better. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Then I'd have blocked myself. No fun at all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Try another news-server entirely such as news.eternal-septemeber.org or

freenews.netfront.net

I always have a few ready to go if one of them flakes out

Reply to
philo

Curious.

Why wouldn't you recommend he try aioe.org (nntp.aioe.org)? A server that requires no account to use, so he could forgo the added complication of obtaining a username and password.

Reply to
Home Guy

On 13 Feb 2014, Home Guy wrote in alt.home.repair:

I don't recommend aioe because its admin allows it to be a haven for spammers and trolls.

Reply to
Nil

I use it, but because it requires no registration... at least one of the groups I normally subscribe to automatically dis-allows posting .

Reply to
philo

Yes, that's great wisdom. I tried to set up ES, but wasn't able to put in the log and password.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What spam have you seen from AIOE? Can you post an example of such "spam"?

And there are no "trolls" that post using other servers?

Do you know how easy it is to obtain a user-name and password to use other servers - like maternal september? Can you explain how that trivial hurdle is really effective at preventing postings that you deem as spam or trollish?

Reply to
Home Guy

That's like saying you're not going to drive your car down Main Street because bank robbers also use Main Street to make their get-away.

Do you know how stupid that logic is?

Do you know what the limit is smart guy? I bet you don't.

Again - here's another analogy. "I'm not going to buy or own a car, because there is a speed limit of 65 mph and I'm not going to own or use anything where I'm limited like that."

I post a lot - and I've NEVER hit the daily limit. And it's not because I change identity - the limit looks at your IP address.

Like I said, the post-counter on AIOE doesn't look at your posting identity. It looks at your IP address.

American's haven't yet figured out where their ass is, let alone anything else.

That sentence makes no sense.

I pride the fact that our intelligence has allowed us to have and maintain a society that is not as screwed up as yours.

Don't shoot the messenger.

You probably don't have any bullets (because the DHS bought them all).

Which is your way of saying "I'm going to stick my head back in the sand now".

Reply to
Home Guy

In Thunderbird for server settings....security

set it to 'none'

also check the box 'always request authentication'

IIRC the first time I went to get newsgroups I was prompted for user name and password.

Reply to
philo

On 14 Feb 2014, Home Guy wrote in alt.home.repair:

One of the Windows XP groups has a guy who posts through aioe who spams ads selling stolen credit card numbers. He's been doing it for years.

You said that, not me.

The difference is that other news admins will respond to complaints. As far as I can tell, the aioe admin ignores complaints and lets the spammers live there as long as they like.

Reply to
Nil

Ouch.

Reply to