OT: Movie Magic

Page 3 of 4
On 2/25/2016 7:15 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Exactly. There's a scene in one of the Indiana Jones' movies where he's essentially playing Tarzan across a gorge (rope bridge has failed). He *slams* into the far-side -- and you can see the rocks compress as he BOUNCES off them!
A scene in Battlestar Galactica shows the city lights (Caprica?) spelling out the words "F*CK OFF".
The status displays in the opening scene of Buckaroo Banzai are labeled: SINED [sic], SEELED [sic] and DELIVERED, sequentially.
Same show: the lat-lon displayed on the monitors (same scene, probably filmed on salt flats?) are those of Cape Canaveral
On 02/25/2016 01:16 AM, Don Y wrote:

My oddity is noticing the landscape. For example the 'Red Dawn' remake has part of the action taking place in a lush, hardwood forest. Around Spokane, WA? If you're going to film it in Michigan you might as well set it in Michigan. 'Justified' was careful about no showing the orange groves next to Arlo's house but some of the forest scenes were hard to imagine as in eastern Kentucky.
Green screen and CGI has replaced some of the obvious scenery painted on a sound stage from the older movies. otoh, some of the older movies were painstaking in their realism with the cast putting up with some discomfort to film on location. John Wayne dragging Maureen O'Hara across a genuine sheep pasture filled with genuine sheep shit in 'The Quiet Man' comes to mind, or the cast of 'The Vikings' freezing their butts off while living on a ship in a Norwegian fjord.
On 2/25/2016 8:03 AM, rbowman wrote:

We tend to note the (incorrect) presence (or absence!) of saguaro's in films. E.g., there's a scene in _Paul_ that is claimed to be in NV -- yet there are saguaros in the shot! The same is true of _Rio Bravo_ -- set in TX but why are there saguaros present?!
On 02/25/2016 01:06 PM, Don Y wrote:

http://www.oldelpaso.com/products
Those don't look like shin daggers on the label...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRiankLJbg4

'Ain't No Saguaro in Texas' Reverend Horton Heat
I've been watching the Longmire series which was filmed in New Mexico. It might be sheer luck but I haven't seen anything that obviously doesn't look like Wyoming.
On 2/25/2016 8:38 PM, rbowman wrote:

Ah, well... no one would recognize anything *but* a saguaro as indicative of The West.

Settings tend to be fabrications. SWMBO was watching a movie allegedly set at my alma mater. "Ain't no place that looks like that on campus!"
On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 9:07:27 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

Ah, yes. The mountains in the background of Robocop, which was set in Detroit. IIRC it was shot in Pittsburgh.
Cindy Hamilton
Hi Cindy,
On 2/26/2016 1:26 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I can "buy" the "things no one will be able to suss out". E.g., a generic interior shot "could be anywhere" -- unless it CLAIMS to be somewhere specific (and folks will have been in that place to attest to its inaccuracy).
[E.g., the control room in WarGames is largely fiction -- though parts of the set are inspired by reality (e.g., the giant springs supporting the buildings). Likewise, the entrance to the Cheyenne Mountain Complex in SG-1 is real -- but little else!]
But, the OBVIOUS screwups are just laughable. E.g., the STEEL crate to contain the "ferocious velociraptor" up-thread... that's actually made of WOOD (and obviously so!) :<
And, the ones that are put there with the intent of chuckling at the viewer (e.g., SINED, SEELED, DELIVERED) are almost a deliberate challenge to the viewer!
On 02/26/2016 01:40 PM, Don Y wrote:

Years ago I went to a pre-production fund raiser for 'A Single Woman'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Single_Woman_%28film%29
The bulk of the film was still in the green screen stage. I should put it on my netflix queue so I can see it with the blanks filled in.
Rankin was an interesting woman. She was the first female Congressman, elected before women could vote. That put her in the unique position of being the only woman to have voted to give women the right to vote.
She was one of 56 who voted against the US entry into WWI and the only congresscritter to vote against declaring war on Japan in WWII.
Now there would have been a good first female president... Right or wrong she didn't need a focus group to know which way the wind was blowing.
On 2/26/2016 9:28 PM, rbowman wrote:

Wow: "Simpson has many times denounced the film as 'horrible' and said that it is the biggest disappointment of her life"

Ah, I'm sure she -- and that vote -- rankled most of her male counterparts!

Pols aren't stupid (despite APPEARING so!). They act to preserve their primary interest -- themselves! I suspect LBJ was one of the last to "do what was right" -- despite obvious personal cost to himself!
On 02/26/2016 10:08 PM, Don Y wrote:

It wasn't the greatest film and being pre-production didn't help. I don't know if they had any skin in the game but the preview was sponsored by the Jeanette Rankin Peace Center:
http://jrpc.org/
Missoula has this little quirk:
http://missoulapeacesign.com/
After they reflector was removed a peace sign made of rocks grew by the 4 pillars that supported the reflector. It's on a trail I walk frequently and I was up on the ridge on winter day when it was so foggy you could barely see 50'. The rocks had been strewn around and I was making repairs when a woman of a certain age appeared from the fog, saw what I was doing, said, 'God bless you' and kept on going off into the fog. It was a bit eerie.
Ironically, while there were rallies and marches during the Bush years not much comment has been made as Obama and Clinton destabilize the mid-East and Africa.
On 2/27/2016 12:03 AM, rbowman wrote:

I'm not sure I understand this: "It has been six years since they removed the Missoula Peace Sign but the nine aluminum panels that comprise the remains are still around, protected by their loyal caretakers, waiting for the right time and place to come back together."
I assume that "the communications company" is responsible for removing it (May 2001 -- a wee bit more than "six years" ago!). Yet, the above suggests they LEFT it's pieces lying around (which were then secreted away by "their loyal caretakers"?
And, why isn't "now" the "right time" to come back together (are they just looking for another "right place"?

Heh heh heh. One of SWMBO's classmates walked up to her in class, rubbed the back of her hand against her face and said "You're so smooooooothhh!"
Talk about eerie!

I suspect Bush made the biggest mess. Obama at least *claims* he's trying to extricate us -- despite what the Perpetual War Party wants. Maybe we need to reinstate the draft? And, put congresscritters' kids in the first wave??
On 02/27/2016 06:17 AM, Don Y wrote:

http://mtstandard.com/news/state-and-regional/missoula-s-trademark-peace-sign-torn-down/article_be29ad5e-d476-5371-afc3-9720011c1beb.html
Qwest took it down and gave the panels to interested people. I think with the current mayor the city might have just bought the land and sign. It was enclosed in a chain link fence so the biggest liability was climbing over the fence to repaint the peace sign after Qwest whitewashed it. Qwest claimed it reduced the efficiency of the reflector but I think that was just a cover story since it had the sign on it most of the time. It was more a contest of wills.
As you noticed, the website was old so I have no idea what the status is. There is an official Peace Park but it's much lower on the hill. There is sort of a peace sign made out of what looks like old bed sheets but it's only visible from a few locations in town. The old reflector could be seen everywhere.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Peace-Sign-Park-At-Waterworks-Hill/1588342771390199
The photo at the bottom of the page shows the base supports for the reflector. Then there is the Buddha head. It's poured concrete and about 2' high. There is a gated road to access some radio equipment halfway up the hill but the head is away from the road. I suppose if someone drove up the road they could have rolled the head down into place.
Last spring persons unknown dug a larger, more visible one.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/vandals-chop-up-rare-plant-to-dig-missoula-peace-sign/article_9a857a07-a458-5495-a5e3-da2dab8b6818.html
The phlox is a sensitive issue. 'Don't step on the phlox, Sam'. This is a very outdoorsy town with a lot of city owned open space.
On 2/27/2016 2:10 PM, rbowman wrote:

Ah, OK. "We don't want to have to deal with this, YOU can!"

Well, don't want to set a precedent by tolerating the "vandalism". Next, someone will hurt themselves and courts decide YOU have KNOWINGLY assumed responsibility...

The round, galvanized, "corrugated" cylinders with people sitting on them?

<shrug> Whatever floats their boat -- it's THEIR home! Really never understood things like "repainting A mountain", etc.
OTOH, I looked forward to seeing the Citgo sign when I drove into Beantown!
On 02/27/2016 07:23 PM, Don Y wrote:

Yes.

There are two mountains on the east side of town separated by Hellgate Canyon. There is a M on the southern one which is the University of Montana's work and is poured concrete.
To the north, there is an L for Loyola High. For years that was a low rent project. The kids would assemble the plentiful native rocks on the hillside and whitewash them. Every now and then the rocks would morph into something other than an L. Finally they did the concrete thing. I'm not sure how that was accomplished. The M has a fireroad above it, but there is no road near the L, nor is there any water. Unless they used a helo, that was a lot to hump up the mountain.
On 2/27/2016 11:14 PM, rbowman wrote:

(sigh) Too bad the other wasn't 'R'!

"Youthful exuberance"?
The summit hut on Mt Washington (IIRC... maybe Lafayette?) is inaccessible except by trail. College students used to haul the propane tanks (think: heat, fuel) up the mountain on their backs.
On 02/28/2016 09:05 AM, Don Y wrote:

Washington has a road up one side and the cog railway on the other. I hiked up the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail the last time I was back east. That passes the Lake of the Clouds hut a little below the summit. It's disconcerting to get to the top and find the crowds of tourons. The fog had moved in about when I got to the hut so I took the train down. The trailhead where I parked is close to the tram terminal.
A friend in college worked as a hut boy for the AMC summers. They would carry insane weight trying to outdo each other. The AMC tried mules and decided the college kids were more efficient. There is an amusement park in Glen called 'Story Land'. The hut boys managed to get banned en masse. I think it had something to do with inappropriate comments to Cinderella.
They had a cabin near Pinkham Notch and had an annual Old Hutmen's Reunion. I went to a couple and they were about what you would expect. I carried a propane tank from the road up to the cabin but that was as close as I got to being a hut boy.
On 2/28/2016 1:44 PM, rbowman wrote:

I never hiked Washington so it had to be some other peak in the Presidential Range / Franconia Notch. (My bet is on Lafayette)

Heh heh heh...

Given the amount of WORK (displacing a mass through a distance) required, it's not the sort of "club" I'd probably want to join! :>
On 02/28/2016 01:52 PM, Don Y wrote:

No. I enjoy hiking but just a normal pack is fine by me, not a couple of bags of cement. I wonder how many of them are still on their original knees?
On 2/28/2016 9:18 PM, rbowman wrote:

I won't even wear a (back/fanny) pack. If I can't hold it in my hands while walking, then it's not worth bringing along (incl hydration).
But, then again, I don't "hike" but, rather, "exercise" -- the difference being I want mine over with ASAP.
I'm debating joining a friend's group for a *hike* into the Canyon later this year (south rim to river, overnight, then back out). But, not sure I'm keen on walking for hours -- nor having to adjust my pace to that of others (faster OR slower). I could spend all those hours doing a lot of OTHER things...
Per Don Y:

When I used to run, the guys I thought were most successful at getting it done and enjoying it at the same time were a group of six-or-so salesmen who ran together.... talking all the time.
That's not "me"... but I can see it's probably the optimal wrapper for exercise running if one can do it.
--
Pete Cresswell