OT: Movie Magic

Page 2 of 4
On 2/27/2016 6:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

IIRC, a cloud-to-ground strike within half a mile can potentially develop enough of a voltage spike to exceed the ~2KV protection afforded by most network interfaces.
Much depends on the type of soil, how "effective" your grounds are, etc. When you're dealing with tens of kilo-amps, 0.0x ohms is HUGE! (i.e., what's the "resistance" between the ground in your outbuilding and the ground in your home?)
:> *Direct* strikes are an order of magnitude more severe -- but, hopefully far less common!
One guy's observations: <https://frrl.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/on-taking-a-lightning-strike-and-the-empelectro-magnetic-pulse/ I simply avoided the issue and don't let anything leave the confines of the house. (If I want to sit under a tree and surf the web, I'll have to resort to WiFi)
Per Oren:

My limited investigation so far leaves me thinking that a home installer should not even *think* about terminating their own cables - and buy pre-cut/pre-terminated cables only.
--
Pete Cresswell

I'll look at your drawing some more. It's complicated.
On 2/25/2016 5:15 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Ah, excellent! I looked at it when I bought my first HD HomeRun.

Probably some sort of kluge with the hooks for the MythTV crowd, Though, nowadays, you could probably scrape that from other sources (with some work -- that *some* FOSS soul would doubtless take on!)

I think in that thread, someone knew the model name, or a way to identify it, and maybe I did look on Ebay and not find any.

There's a monthly charge for a puppy! My friend has a puppy and I don't think he's paying it. Will the puppy be disconnected?

I make extensive use of the DVDR with hard drive There are only two or three models sold, but one only needs one. In fact even if I'm there to watch OTA tv live, I watch something else for a while and then watch the recording of, say, the news. That way I can FF through commercials and rewind if it's esp. interesting. And phone calls or putting the food in the oven don't cause me to miss anything.
Even without cable there is far more tv than I can watch now.
Per Micky:

That's where I am.
Nothing but OTA - and I have more good, interesting TV in the box than I can possibly watch.
--
Pete Cresswell

BTW, in another ng you said you were using Lasso, so I got it too. The main screen is too complicated for me, but I liked the summary that showed up in the systray when I put the cursor next to the icon.
Then about 3 weeks ago, after an update it disappeared, and I was going to ask you if it disappeared for you too, but I waited a while and a couple days ago another update brought it back.
On 2/25/2016 7:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Last time I played with a surplus TiVo, you had a month or so grace period to pay for service. But, I'm pretty sure you couldn't just keep "resetting" the device and reclaiming that month.
There are two problems with rolling your own DVR: - access to "program information" (TV schedule) - access to RELIABLE, INTUITIVE, inexpensive software
I tried the MythTV approach. And, despite having 30+ years of UN*X experience, found the implementation buggy, non-intuitive and brittle. Given how little we watch OTA broadcasts (no cable!), it simply was not worth the hassle.
Yet another example of Linux technocrats screwing up what *should* be a turnkey appliance!
Per Don Y:

I have heard from a number of Myth users that they find it trouble-free and easy to use.
On my way to Sage, I tried Myth for about a year.
It was like having a part-time job except the pay was lousy.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/25/2016 5:18 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Techocrats suffer from the same delusion that "more options is better". They confuse their lack of understanding for what GOOD default settings should be with "flexibility" -- i.e., shove all of this onto the user's lap and they'll be GLAD they have all this flexibility!
They'd be the sort that would design a HANDGUN that had menus, three layers deep! In an emergency, you'd be spending your last few precious seconds of life answering how many grains of powder you'd like in the charge and what target muzzle velocity, whether you'd like the bullet teflon coated or not, etc. Having specified all of those options, you'd then be told that a required library is out of date and you need to download a more recent version...

Yup. Makes me wonder what Linux birth control would be like! No, wait -- I suspect EVERYTHING-Linux qualifies as birth control (as it ties up any "free time" you MAY have had for sex!)
Per Don Y:

That's good....-)
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/26/2016 9:22 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Keeps the nerds from reproducing? :>
On 02/25/2016 06:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Yes, but it's called MythTV: https://www.mythtv.org/
Jon

New info. What about TIVO are you looking for?
The Resurgence of the Over-the-Air DVR http://hometheaterreview.com/the-return-of-the-over-the-air-dvr/
Partial excerpt:
Channel Master DVR+ • Number of tuners: 2 • Hard Drive Size: 16GB (requires add-on USB storage) or 1TB • Connection Options: HDMI and optical digital audio output; RF input; Ethernet port; dual USB ports; IR extender port. • Integrated streaming services: VUDU, Pandora. • Other Features: 14-day program guide with integrated VUDU search; remote access is not directly supported, but DVR+ is compatible with Slingbox 500; the DVR+ doesn't have built-in WiFi and requires the use of a USB WiFi adapter if you want to go wireless. • Price: $249 for 16GB version (plus cost of external storage); $399 for 1TB box; $299 for optional Slingbox 500; no monthly subscription fee.
Simple.TV 2 • Number of tuners: 2 • Hard Drive Size: N/A. You must add your own USB hard drive (a 500GB drive starts at about $50). • Connection Options: RF input; Ethernet port; USB port. • Integrated streaming services: None • Other Features: Simple.TV does not directly connect to a TV; instead, it streams everything to iOS, Android, and Windows 8 devices, as well as Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, PLEX, and Web browsers. Through one Simple.TV box, you can watch live/recorded content on up to five devices simultaneously. The box supports ClearQAM cable signals. It does not have built-in WiFi and only supports stereo audio output. The Premiere subscription is required to remotely stream live/recorded content and download recorded content via mobile devices and Web browsers. • Price: $199.99 for box; $249.99 for box with one year of premiere service; $349.99 for box with lifetime subscription to premiere service. Premiere service is $59.99 for one year or $149.99 lifetime. Factor in the additional cost of the USB storage device.
Nuvyyo Tablo • Number of tuners: 2 or 4 • Hard Drive Size: N/A. You must add your own USB hard drive (a 500GB drive starts at about $50); Tablo supports up to a 2TB device. • Connection Options: RF input; Ethernet port and built-in WiFi; dual USB ports for external storage. • Integrated streaming services: none • Other Features: Like Simple.TV, Tablo does not directly connect to a TV; instead, it streams everything to iOS/Android devices, as well as Roku, Apple TV (via AirPlay), Chromecast, and Web browsers. Through one Tablo, you can watch live/recorded content on up to six devices on your local network; you can stream live and recorded content to iOS, Android, and Web browsers outside the home; attractive 14-day program guide; can't download recordings to remote device. • Price: $219.99 for two-tuner box; $299.99 for four-tuner box; $5/month for Tablo Connect remote access and program guide; cost of external hard drive.

so it's the life of the box!
They may have other plans at some other time, but never assume it's better than, or even as good as, the literal meaning of the words.

http://www.cnet.com/products/channel-master-dvr-plus/
$288 and 299 at amazon and marketplace.

Big deal.

Only HDMI and optical outputs, but adapters available.

I assume this was the one that is only 250 at the channel master website.
But this has been for sale for 2.4 years, and I can't believe I never noticed it before. Only $35. 1/7th the price of the competition. Takes an external HDD, and I already have a spare.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
There are two related modes 180 and 260 or something.
Reading comments, I see that the biggest problem is that you can't watch one recording while making another, so if you get home in the middle of a recording, you have to have a setup where you can change tuners altogther, or you have not watch tv, or you have to watch what's being recorded, starting in the middle.
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 9:16:37 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

just do what i did buy a used tivo with lifetime service, and pay zero in future fees
if you want a brand new tivo, buy it with lifetime service. pricey at 300 bucks for a brand new tivo, but new boxes have nicer features

He's right.
Per Don Y:

Adds to the entertainment value, IMHO.
--