OT - Mousetrap improvement

Page 1 of 2

Not my idea, but wish it was.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I usually just add some flour to the peanut butter to make it thicker so it's harder for the sneaky mice to lick it off without setting off the trap, but I like this "drilled almond" trick.
Jon
Stormin Mormon wrote:

and you should share tips about the equipment used....drill bit, best rpm's for drilling almonds, what type of wire, etc. :o)
I'll inquire of the person in question.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

At the govt lab where I once worked, a draught year brought in thousands of mice. A contest was held to see who could build the most efficient mouse trap and kill the most mice in one night. It was big lab with about a 10K working population, so a lot of brainiacs.
The winners used a simple galvanized washtub, the kind used to make a washtub bass, and mounted a hinged one-by stick on the edge so it would teeter-totter down into the tub, filled about a quarter full with water, when a mouse ran out on the stick to eat the peanut butter smeared on the end. After the mouse fell in the water, the teeter-totter would automatically reset for the next mouse. It caught over 100 mice the first night.
What makes this so interesting is the fact that this being a govt lab, money was no object. Anyone could have built a radar guided laser death ray killing thingie, spending hundreds of thousands without batting an eye. In fact, someone may have done just that. But in the end, out of dozens of entries and research teams and literally "rocket science" efforts, the winner by a large margin was about as low tech as it gets. True story. ;)
nb
On 6/24/2010 9:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

works best. It is very sensitive and you can smear peanut butter in the holes. Regular traps, mice can lick it off and any trap that is not sensitive is useless.
I don't like glue boards as they do not work that well and I've seen a mouse practically gnaw off its leg to get out of one. I don't hate mice that much to see them suffer.

I live trap and release them. DONT keep a food source thats easily accesible for them.
like the time i kept a 100 pound sack of sunflower seeds in the basement for bird feeding/.
lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.
live trap and release is the better way............
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:36:27 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I've never witnessed trap and release of mice. Is this something new?

You didn't catch and release 60 mice. You caught and released the same five mice a dozen times.
On Jun 24, 5:32pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
.0.1> wrote:

nope they were all different mice, they had no way back in.
my belief, open garage door one pregnant female mouse wanders in, i have seen them sneak in with garage door open, back to when i was a kid.
one female mouse finds plentiful supply of sunflower seeds, the ideal mouse food. she is pregnant and exponential multiplication begins......
the live trap worked fine emptied at least twice a day. some obvious oldtimers heavily grey died probably from fear.
the rest were released without incident..........
why kill anything unnecessarily?
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:22:55 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

The only way you might really know this, is using a spray paint or magic markers. Add a scarlet letter?

"no way back in" THAT YOU KNOW OF. Unless you released them at least a mile away, you were catching the same mice. Over and over and over.

LMAO
Doug Miller wrote:

Buddy of mine did that with a raccoon that kept getting into his dogfood supply. 3 daughters at home at the time, so he tried catch&release to keep them happy. 2nd or 3rd time, he spray-painted a yellow spot on his back. Next time he saw the spot, he sent the wife and kids shopping, shot it and buried it. Mice, half a mile or so is probably plenty. My buddy said he took the coon 5 miles across a river, and it was back within 48 hours.
--
aem sends...

Good man. Way to go!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Until you've experienced the thrill of your fingers around a small, furry neck...
Cause it goes next door and eats your neighbor's food.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Doug Miller wrote:

I release them in the high grass by the river in the park a mile away. The owls in that park really like me.
--
aem sends...

I can hear them now. "Hey Guys! The roach coach just showed up!"
and name it after the IRS.
Oren wrote the following:

them. I've never killed a mouse, or any other animal, except by accident or as a coup de gras (critically injured) as part of my LE duties.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY