OT Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota

Page 1 of 2
< http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/mountain-lion-killed-in-conn-had-walked-from-south-dakota/1 >
DNA tests show that a 140-pound mountain lion killed last month on a Connecticut highway had walked more than 1,500 miles east from the Black Hills of South Dakota., state officials said today.
The epic journey was the longest ever recorded for a mountain lion.
On 7/29/2011 10:34 AM, Robert Green wrote:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/mountain-lion-killed-in-conn-had-walked-from-south-dakota/1
How do DNA tests show it got there by walking as opposed to somebody dumped it....(just saying it doesn't necessarily follow... :) )

They obviously did the DNA tests on the dirt in its paws
On 7/29/2011 1:47 PM, Bob F wrote: ...

For real? Kewl, if so...
(If that information is in the article, unfortunately, that loaded so slowly that w/ my dialup connection I gave it up so haven't seen it...)

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/mountain-lion-killed-in-conn-had-walked-from-south-dakota/1
I recall a NOVA episode about an male Indian tiger traveling an enormous distance to find a mate (but finding death as well as this cougar). Still, I agree with you. I can't see how, without a radio collar, they can prove that this cat didn't crawl into an open boxcar or was somehow otherwise transported that distance by humans or mechanisms unknown.
-- Bobby G.
On 7/29/2011 5:13 PM, Robert Green wrote:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/mountain-lion-killed-in-conn-had-walked-from-south-dakota/1
It was a UFO, "Hey Glerp, where did you get this creature?" "Um, I know it came from this land mass" "Hell, let's drop it off anywhere, as long as it's the same area it should find its way home." "Did you do the anal probe?" "Yea but it wasn't too happy about it." "Uh, OK, that place over there looks alright." "Turn on the blinking lights and sound effects, let's land."
TDD

I heard the animal took Amtrack and a bus.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/mounta
Don't be absurd, if it took Amtrack the lion would be still be stuck on a bus from Cleveland after they decided it would be cheaper to stop the train there.
Robert Green wrote:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/mountain-lion-killed-in-conn-had-walked-from-south-dakota/1
Hi, Wonder why they killed it?
On 7/29/2011 1:12 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Duh.
Tony Hwang wrote:

It's the Connecticut way.
Tony Hwang wrote the following:

They didn't. It got hit by a car.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 7/29/2011 10:34 AM, Robert Green wrote:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/mountain-lion-killed-in-conn-had-walked-from-south-dakota/1
Just curious, how did a DNA test determine that it came from SD?
Don
On 7/29/2011 12:25 PM, IGot2P wrote: ...

How does a human DNA test determine kin relationships???

Expert animal trackers can recognize cougar poop when they see it, and DNA analysts can (sometimes) identify the individual source. So many US states nowadays want to say they have cougars that wildlife officers collect samples of any likely poop they come across: and the DNA laboratories do the rest, viz. track one individual who left deposits in several states.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

An example of what how he doody show....
Smitty Two wrote:

Starting too?
His ignorance is running like a tap that needs a new washer (just to bring this on topic for the group)
--
PV

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your
Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

On 7/29/2011 4:18 PM, WW wrote: ...

Well, after waiting several minutes and it still hadn't loaded, I gave up...(as noted earlier, I'm limited to dialup owing to location, location, location...)

Hey, I'm on dialup. Loaded fast enough for me! (-: What are you running at? 2400BPS?
-- Bobby G.