OT - Motion Sensing Toilet Paper

I happened to be in a fairly new building yesterday and needed to use the restroom.

I pushed the button on the wall and the door opened automatically.

I used the urinal and it flushed itself as I walked away.

I washed my hands in a sink with a motion sensing faucet.

To dry my hands, I had a choice of a motion sensing blower or a motion sensing paper towel dispenser.

Out of curiosity, I stuck my head into a stall and sure enough, there sat a motion sensing toilet.

So, tell me, why was there a manual toilet paper dispenser hanging on the wall?

Why are they able to automate the entire bathroom experience except for the dispensing of toilet paper?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

Some people need more than others.

Reply to
willshak

Why would you want the whole bathroom to suck? Half the time I can't get the automated faucets to work at all, and when they do work, you can't control the temperature or the flow rate.

Reply to
mike

I used to do major conventions in Las Vegas. One was a "sanitary" convention, having to do with all things related to public restrooms. The big thing that year was the ability of a person to go into a public toilet and not having to touch ANYTHING. Of course, the automation would cost one.

As to why they have ANYTHING the way they have it, don't ask me. I can go in the woods with no human made assistance, and manage.

For others, I guess it takes what it takes.

Soon, I expect, we shall see governmental regulations defining how we should wipe, which direction, and the fee at the door.

Which, amusingly, was a huge furor during the Roman empire when they went from public toilets to a pay for **** system so that they could raise more revenue. Changed from the free public flowing water toilets, which were light years ahead of their time in hygiene and design.

In today's political climate, you have to admit it is not that far away.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Why would you want the whole bathroom to suck? Half the time I can't get the automated faucets to work at all, and when they do work, you can't control the temperature or the flow rate.

reply: The flow rate is set. It starts to get warm when you are finished.

NO DAWDLING!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And that need doesn't exist with paper towels?

When I need more towels, I activate the sensor again.

I'm guessing that that might work for toilet paper too.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Who said anything about *voice* activated toilet paper dispensers?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They have. Once in Italy, once in San Marino, upon entering the rest room an attendant handed me a supply of toilet paper. There was none in the stall. I have no idea what the protocol was if you needed more.

In one case, there was no bowl, but a fixture you squatted over at floor level.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

i Yes, I can see it now....sitting there waving your hands franticly while the damn dispenser puts out a single sheet every couple of seconds. Worse yet, it could work like the paper towel dispenser at work that most of the time has the towels torn off inside and you spend 5 minutes trying to get a towel.

Reply to
BobR

Do you need TP to take a piss?

Reply to
Ron

Andy comments: As an engineer working with other engineers, we were sitting around one day thinking about just this problem.....

We came up with a modification of a 2 reel movie projector to do this job..... the biggest problem was determining who would remove the second reel...

....... we had a lot of time on our hands back then...

:>))))) Andy

Reply to
Andy

And everyone knows that real men need more than a single little piece at a time.

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I saw that in Italy too. Not common in the larger cities, but saw it at a train station at Lake Cuomo. Also common in Japan, again not in upscale hotels in major cities, but saw it at an industrial company I was visiting.

Reply to
trader4

The latter are really common in Asian countries. Also many are bring your own paper. So it is interesting when you first go to those places.

Reply to
George

The problem I have with motion sensing devices in restrooms is the darn lights. More correctly "Occupancy Sensor" lights. If I have a big load of ready mix to drop, the darn lights go out while I'm on the throne. Luckily I have at least two flashlights of some sort with me at all times because I really don't care to grope around in the dark. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Single sheet? It would likely work like many of those cheepo dispensers are set up and give you half a sheet. Just wave your hands 6 more times (but not quickly) to get more.

Reply to
George

That happens with manual toilet paper dispensers all the time.

Tug...rip...tug...rip...tug real gently...ah! 2 sheets...rip...Damn!

No gain, no loss. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's because you dont have a motion sensing asshole. You still have to shit the old fashioned way "(the groan and squeeze method)". Once you get your asshole upgraded, the toilet paper *WILL* dispense automatically, and it will even wipe your ass for you once you stand up. However, if you dont stand up after 5 minutes, a baseball bat will snap off the wall and knock you off the toilet, so the next guy can use it.

Reply to
jw

You know, all those things require batteries to operate. (except the faucets, which I think are hard wired). They may save some paper towels, but have to keep replacing the batteries. Where is the savings?

Pay toilets were already used in stores back in the late 70's or 80's. I encountered a few of them, and I never paid. It's not that hard for a guy to crawl under the stall door, or climb over the top. Thats what everyone seemed to be doing, not to mention several doors that were kicked in. They did not last long. The stores probably spent more on repairs than they made.

Reply to
jw

..Snip...

I'm confused. Are you a troll or just ignorant? (I'm trying real hard to be nice)

Electric Paper Towel Dispenser:

If you ever tried one of these, I can't imagine you'd think it was battery operated:

..Snip...

Please don't tell me you used to crawl around on the floor of public bathrooms just to save the cost of using a toilet.

You know, I don't recall seeing *anyone*, never mind *everyone* crawling under or over stall doors. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but

*everyone*? Give me a break.
Reply to
DerbyDad03