OT - Motion Sensing Toilet Paper

Page 1 of 2
I happened to be in a fairly new building yesterday and needed to use the restroom.
I pushed the button on the wall and the door opened automatically.
I used the urinal and it flushed itself as I walked away.
I washed my hands in a sink with a motion sensing faucet.
To dry my hands, I had a choice of a motion sensing blower or a motion sensing paper towel dispenser.
Out of curiosity, I stuck my head into a stall and sure enough, there sat a motion sensing toilet.
So, tell me, why was there a manual toilet paper dispenser hanging on the wall?
Why are they able to automate the entire bathroom experience except for the dispensing of toilet paper?
DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

Some people need more than others.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

And that need doesn't exist with paper towels?
When I need more towels, I activate the sensor again.
I'm guessing that that might work for toilet paper too.

i Yes, I can see it now....sitting there waving your hands franticly while the damn dispenser puts out a single sheet every couple of seconds. Worse yet, it could work like the paper towel dispenser at work that most of the time has the towels torn off inside and you spend 5 minutes trying to get a towel.

And everyone knows that real men need more than a single little piece at a time.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote the following:

Just remembering a story I heard long ago. A tree hugger was showing another person how to save toilet paper by using all of a single sheet of toilet paper to clean his behind after a dump. "Take the sheet and fold it in half and then fold that in half. Tear a piece of the inner corner off. Open the folded sheet with the hole now in the center of the sheet. Stick your index finger in the hole and wipe your bum". The guy says "Yeah, but what do you do with that piece you tore out of the center" "Use that clean your fingernail"
(groan)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 12/9/2011 10:35 PM, BobR wrote:

The problem I have with motion sensing devices in restrooms is the darn lights. More correctly "Occupancy Sensor" lights. If I have a big load of ready mix to drop, the darn lights go out while I'm on the throne. Luckily I have at least two flashlights of some sort with me at all times because I really don't care to grope around in the dark. ^_^
TDD
On 12/9/2011 11:35 PM, BobR wrote:

Single sheet? It would likely work like many of those cheepo dispensers are set up and give you half a sheet. Just wave your hands 6 more times (but not quickly) to get more.

Never seen a single one of those automated dispensers that works for more than a couple of sheets before jamming anyway.

That happens with manual toilet paper dispensers all the time.
Tug...rip...tug...rip...tug real gently...ah! 2 sheets...rip...Damn!
No gain, no loss. ;-)

Why would you want the whole bathroom to suck? Half the time I can't get the automated faucets to work at all, and when they do work, you can't control the temperature or the flow rate.

Why would you want the whole bathroom to suck? Half the time I can't get the automated faucets to work at all, and when they do work, you can't control the temperature or the flow rate.
reply: The flow rate is set. It starts to get warm when you are finished.
NO DAWDLING!
Steve

I used to do major conventions in Las Vegas. One was a "sanitary" convention, having to do with all things related to public restrooms. The big thing that year was the ability of a person to go into a public toilet and not having to touch ANYTHING. Of course, the automation would cost one.
As to why they have ANYTHING the way they have it, don't ask me. I can go in the woods with no human made assistance, and manage.
For others, I guess it takes what it takes.
Soon, I expect, we shall see governmental regulations defining how we should wipe, which direction, and the fee at the door.
Which, amusingly, was a huge furor during the Roman empire when they went from public toilets to a pay for **** system so that they could raise more revenue. Changed from the free public flowing water toilets, which were light years ahead of their time in hygiene and design.
In today's political climate, you have to admit it is not that far away.
Steve

You know, all those things require batteries to operate. (except the faucets, which I think are hard wired). They may save some paper towels, but have to keep replacing the batteries. Where is the savings?

Pay toilets were already used in stores back in the late 70's or 80's. I encountered a few of them, and I never paid. It's not that hard for a guy to crawl under the stall door, or climb over the top. Thats what everyone seemed to be doing, not to mention several doors that were kicked in. They did not last long. The stores probably spent more on repairs than they made.
On 12/10/11 2:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:
..Snip...

I'm confused. Are you a troll or just ignorant? (I'm trying real hard to be nice)
Electric Paper Towel Dispenser:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
If you ever tried one of these, I can't imagine you'd think it was battery operated:
http://www.electricsuppliesonline.com/excel-xl-sb-hand-dryer.html
..Snip...

Please don't tell me you used to crawl around on the floor of public bathrooms just to save the cost of using a toilet.

You know, I don't recall seeing *anyone*, never mind *everyone* crawling under or over stall doors. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but *everyone*? Give me a break.

Who said anything about *voice* activated toilet paper dispensers?
DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

They would be more efficient. You can just say "Dispense X number of sheets"
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

"...choose; cash, credit, debit, or HD card."
On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:50:30 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

They have. Once in Italy, once in San Marino, upon entering the rest room an attendant handed me a supply of toilet paper. There was none in the stall. I have no idea what the protocol was if you needed more.
In one case, there was no bowl, but a fixture you squatted over at floor level.

I saw that in Italy too. Not common in the larger cities, but saw it at a train station at Lake Cuomo. Also common in Japan, again not in upscale hotels in major cities, but saw it at an industrial company I was visiting.