OT: More regs - OSHA fines USPS

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has fined the United States Postal Service $357,000 for, among other things, "violations include workers using bar-code readers and elevator-control panels [UP/DOWN buttons?] without proper training or gear."
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100808hub_post_office_hit_with_357g_in_safety_fines /
We are in the Last Days. They are eating their own.

In Chicago we lost most of our convention business to Vegas and Miami because the unions would not let exhibitors plug their own laptops into an outlet, neither would they let them plug the network cable in. As an exhibitor you had to call a union electrician at $80 and hour to plug in your computer for you. Same if you wanted a case of water or pop in your booth for your employees, you had to pay a union beverage distributor $3.50 a can. God forbiid you need to straighten out your booth's sign, you had to call a union rigger to do that, on and on...
We have already eaten our own here in Chicago, the convention business is fed up and fleeing.
This is just a case of one set of union workers eating another set of union workers at taxpayer expense.

In Chicago we lost most of our convention business to Vegas and Miami because the unions would not let exhibitors plug their own laptops into an outlet, neither would they let them plug the network cable in. As an exhibitor you had to call a union electrician at $80 and hour to plug in your computer for you. Same if you wanted a case of water or pop in your booth for your employees, you had to pay a union beverage distributor $3.50 a can. God forbiid you need to straighten out your booth's sign, you had to call a union rigger to do that, on and on...
We have already eaten our own here in Chicago, the convention business is fed up and fleeing.
This is just a case of one set of union workers eating another set of union workers at taxpayer expense.
reply: Let me just say this about that. I'm retired, and my last eight years was in the convention industry. The unions are dead and/or dying. They're just fighting over the crumbs now.
Last one out, turn out the light.
Steve

The media, of course, use the tried-and-true device of leading with sensationalist squibs like the elevator-control panels.
You do a disservice by focussing this sensationalist MO.
Those few who take the trouble to read the entire, brief article, derive a far, far different picture, involving potentially life- threatening violations.
Do you think you did the right thing?
HB

This is what he does.
On 8/8/2010 11:04 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

"Heybub" is a gadfly. His or her purpose is to simply crank people up by taking whatever position is necessary to do so.

To me, it's beaurocracy burdening beaurocracy. I was impressed that USPS has 700 safety professionals. I would have thought their biggest hazard would be paper cuts. All this overhead in US business because of regulations is another reason the Chinese are eating our lunch.
Higgs Boson wrote:

I am merely your humble reporter. I didn't write the article - it came from the Boston Herald.
Your observation of "leading with sensationalist squibs" has merit, as does mine when I say some deny the message by attacking the messenger.
Those few who take the trouble to read the entire, brief article, derive a far, far different picture, involving potentially life- threatening violations.
You have a point, but they sort of glossed over the life threatening to focus on elevator buttons. More information is needed to make a real conclusion.
See below Inside the distribution centers, OSHA inspectors found workers who have been exposed to electrical shock, leading to burns and even death because they did not have the proper training and the equipment to handle live electrical components.
In Boston alone, OSHA inspectors found nine workplace violations. OSHA spokesman Ted Fitzgerald said those violations include workers using bar-code readers and elevator-control panels without proper training or gear. Last week, meanwhile, the U.S. Labor Department indicated that the number of violations and fines would increase.