OT, More Global Warming Hits Alabamastan

Page 2 of 3
On 1/29/2014 7:59 AM, CRNG wrote:

construction company could lose 100 workers a day and have no trouble replacing them. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:16:48 -0600, The Daring Dufas

That really isn't true. One of the major problems Chinese companies have is worker retention. Training isn't cheap and competition for them is tough.

g-climate-change>

Christ! Is everyone Humor Irony Sarcasm Impaired? China has a huge problem right now because there are not enough young women for the young men. China had a one child per couple policy that may have caused couples to abort female babies so they the single child would be a boy. I'm guessing that Chinese tradition calls for at least one son to carry on the family name. o_O
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/may/19/china-gender-ratio-women-men
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ona8fm6
TDD

If you really believe that, you'd commit suicide.

Nor are you, right?
Let's go back to the late 1970s, and the forgotten but official term for what is allegedly happening: CLIMATE CHANGE.
Some IDIOT in the media coined the term "global warming" in the '80s and they ran with it.
What is actually happening?
IMO, Earth and women both have periods. Earth is going through one right now. They can last years, or even decades.
I'm in CT. Summers are hot, winters cold & snowy. Business as usual.
Move along.

In the 1970's, the aluminum foil hat and Chicken Little crowd were actually howling about, "Global Cooling". o_O
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote: "In the 1970's, the aluminum foil hat and Chicken Little crowd were actually howling about, "Global Cooling". o_O "
I'm more inclined to believe THAT given the temperatures we've been seeing straight to the Gulf of Mexico this month.

Aerosol cans, as I remember, were the culprit.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/28/2014 7:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

started a publicity campaign to scare dumbasses about the faux danger posed by hairspray. ^_^
TDD

I remember an episode of All in the Family when Archie Bunker is spraying a can in the living room just to irritate Meathead.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Central Alabamastan is all but shut down with parents being told they should leave their children at school if they can't safely get to the school to pick them up. The governor had a news conference about the state of emergency where he has called out some of the National Guard and the State Emergency Management Agency has activated all its resources. The ice and snow was forecast to hit the Southern part of the state so most of the limited snow clearing equipment was sent South and will take days to make it back to Northern Alabama. We aren't used to this nonsense and folks from The South don't know how to drive on ice and snow so the frigging roads are clogged. Birmingham is a mountainous area with a lot of hills and vehicles can't get up the hills and are sliding down them. People are being asked to stay off the roads but there are those idiots who don't get it. I live on top of one of the mountains in the area and there is no way I would think of pulling out of the driveway. o_O
TDD

There are a few safe drivers in PRNY, but very few. I get out on the road, and people fly by me, on either right or left, but most often the right. When possible, I do stay home.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

They told us to go home at 1PM. I waited a half hour (to let the parking lot clear) and left. It took me almost two hours to get home (18mi). People were scared shitless. In some places I could have walked faster. The roads weren't even slick! I tested the roads often with my brake and didn't break loose. Some were still off the road. Idiots. We only had 1/2" at the time. We're probably up to a whole inch, now.
On 1/28/2014 4:57 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There are still 1,200 children at school, sheltering in place here in Birmingham. It's 19°F and the roads are iced over now so there's no idea of what tomorrow will be like but schools across a number of counties will be closed and I'm betting most businesses will also be closed. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 18:47:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

The idiots in Atlanta did exactly the same. Lefties are really dumb.

Yep. I'm not counting on going to work tomorrow.

The problem here in Birmingham is black ice and since I'm on top of a mountain, I wouldn't pull out of the driveway. It's 19°F and a lot of roads in the area are impassable and closed. Earlier in the month the temperature here dropped to around 7°F but people could still drive. I be cold and Sandy keeps wanting to get in my lap because it's freezing down there on the floor. o_O
TDD

A friend in SC says the same, it's bone numbing cold, and there are three inches snow, and that packs into ice. No snow plows in SC. He figures to be home today and tomorrow. In the fifties, Thurs, and should restore the roads.
I hope the shelter in place kids are comfortable and safe.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 1/28/2014 10:26 PM, nestork wrote:

I know The Jet Stream has been acting whacky but we have the warm air mass from The Gulf of Mexico to fight back but when it does, it brings with it lots of calamity and precipitation. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 05:26:56 +0100, nestork

Absolutely. The roads were normal, compared to a typical day when we lived in Vermont. Here, it's a (somewhat less than) major disaster. It took me almost two hours to get home and I had to go 20mi. out of my way because of impassable roads. People in Vermont would have laughed at the carnival.

Yeah, it's supposed to be 45F Friday, rising 10F each day for the next couple. It'll all be gone by Sunday.