OT, More Global Warming Hits Alabamastan

Page 1 of 3
11:00am, 19°F and snowing like crazy. Ice on bridges and hills, car accidents everywhere. Schools closing and businesses letting employees go home. Is it too late to get Global Cooling started up again? I'm freezing my ass off in this Global Warming. o_O
TDD
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:03:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Do not let it worry you Duf- Governor Brokely and the Loongislature will save us..
--
Mr.E

Weather is what you dress for. Climate is what you build for. Over time, the average temperatures in most parts of the world are getting warmer. In my part of Minnesota, it's a full climate zone warmer than it was back in the 1980s. The reason everyone went bananas over this cold snap is because it has been so many years since we had this kind of cold weather. It used to be routine. Now it's a crisis.

Weather is what you dress for. Climate is what you build for. Over time, the average temperatures in most parts of the world are getting warmer. In my part of Minnesota, it's a full climate zone warmer than it was back in the 1980s. The reason everyone went bananas over this cold snap is because it has been so many years since we had this kind of cold weather. It used to be routine. Now it's a crisis.
--
There has been no warming for 16 years.
Climate change/mad made global warming is a hoax for
On 1/28/2014 4:10 PM, BurfordTJustice wrote:

Worse than crisis, it's cause to regulate the US even more than before.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Keep repeating that, Al. Someone, somewhere, still loves ya'.
Let's go back to the late 1970s, and the forgotten but official term for what is allegedly happening: CLIMATE CHANGE.
Some IDIOT in the media coined the term "global warming" in the '80s and they ran with it.
What is actually happening?
IMO, Earth and women both have periods. Earth is going through one right now. They can last years, or even decades.
I'm in CT. Summers are hot, winters c

TDD

Been shoveling global warming all winter. Somebody told me it normally snows in winter but I saw it one summer in Cleveland 50 years ago. Maybe that's when global warming started.
On 1/28/2014 12:01 PM, Frank wrote:

Chaos is the normal climate for the planet. We're just spoiled because it's been fairly mild over the past several generations. ^_^
TDD

That's what has made me a global warming skeptic when you look at temperature changes over the eons. There was plenty of global warming and cooling even before the days of Fred Flintstone.
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:58:58 -0500, Frank

Exactly.

Never have been able to figure out why government funded research is automatically Good while industry-funded research is automatically suspect. I come out of healthcare where there is ample evidence that NIH spending is very much related to politics instead of number of people impacted, costs to the system, or Quality Adjusted Patient Year.
but what they conceal is vital."
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:58:58 -0500, Frank

Did you ever see Fred shovel snow?

As much as I consider Gore a buffoon, he and Gates are right, IMO, about global population growth being a major global problem. Take a look at China and India. They are the major sources of global population growth and pollution.
There is no way that they are going to cut back.

But they also don't need to be so poluting. That is a governmental decision. If anything, they are in a better position to go greenish because they don't have the infrastructure sunk costs we do.
but what they conceal is vital."

With all due respect, I completely disagree. IMHO they are in a far *worse* position "to go greenish" because neither of them can afford as well as we to make the up-front investments necessary in controlling pollution. Cheap labor isn't the only reason that it costs less to manufacture in China than in the US: we could produce cheaper, too, if we didn't have to clean up after ourselves -- not saying we should, mind you, just saying that's another component of the difference in cost of production.
China also has the additional disincentive "to go greenish" of having a political system that is mostly unresponsive to the will of the people. The folks in charge there don't have to worry about being voted out of office and replaced with leaders who will actually take care of the environment. They need only prevent violent revolution to make their butts secure.
<stuff snipped>

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2013/08/china-spends-billions-tackling-pollution
<Major Chinese cities afflicted by smog and dirty water are set to benefit from a huge air pollution control programme, which will bring trillions of yuan to already fast developing environment industries. The Action Plan for Air Pollution Control (2013-2017) was announced by China 's environment minister Zhou Shengxian at the Ecological Civilization Forum held in Guiyang. The action plan will involve 1.7 trillion yuan (179 billion) being invested in pollution controls over the next five years.
'Facing huge environmental pressure, especially the smoggy Beijing atmosphere, the new leadership must show their political determination to appease the public,' says Ye Zhaohui, an associate professor studying environmental economics at Zhejiang University.>
Obviously, China's undergone substantive social, economic and political changes of late. The smogged-up Olympics embarrassed them and they're actually working on the problem.
China recently cracked down on lead-acid battery (LABs) makers as a result of serious poisoning cases and tests that showed highly elevated blood lead levels (BLLs) in nearly all of the children tested in the areas where the plants were located:
http://www.ehjournal.net/content/12/1/61
<On November 21, 2008 the Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP) formally promulgated "Clean Production Standards for the Lead Battery Industry" (HJ 447-2008) and implemented these in February 2009. These standards mandated application of currently available industrial technology and equipment for the LAB industry. Restrictions were also placed on natural resource usage and pollution emissions.
In response to recent mass Pb poisonings, in March 2011 the MEP along with the National Development and Reform Commission jointly issued an environmental protection special action decree (UNCED [2011] No. 41), with remediation of the LAB industry as its primary goal [44]. The central government tasked all local environmental protection bureaus to immediately conduct a thorough investigation and remediation of all environmental law violators. All LAB enterprises under investigation would be forced to comply with inspections.
As a result of this decree, by July 31, 2011 the investigation of all 1,930 known LAB enterprises (manufacturing, assembly, and recycling) resulted in the complete shutdown of 583 and discontinuation of 405 LAB enterprises. The success in quickly enforcing this special action decree was still riddled with uncertainty, as the MEP acknowledged the numerous problems with regulating smaller-scale unregistered LAB enterprises. Nevertheless, this "storm" of regulatory enforcement reflects the government's acknowledgement of the severity of Pb pollution and its primary sources.>
Lead battery prices spiked as a result of the crackdown.
--

Bobby G.

That wasn't my point. My point was that in many areas of these countries they are putting in their first generation of these technologies. In the US, we have smelly nasty plants because that was the new technology when we first put them in. China, et al., have the advantage of being able, in many areas, to start off with greener technologies, many of which are much easier and less costly to put in place as a first installation instead of a retrofit. My major problem with Kyoto and most of the other similar treaties is that there was no mechanism for when developing countries were developed enough to start pulling their load.
but what they conceal is vital.

No, they don't need to be so polluting, but avoiding anti-pollution costs (as well as worker safety costs) is a large part of their manufacturing cost advantage over the western industrial nations. They are not going to give up that advantage anytime soon.