OT: Millionaires ask for higher taxes

Page 4 of 5

But that isn't what is happening since, according to IRS, the top 1% pay twice the percentage of income taxes that they get in income (roughly 16% and 32% respectively depending on the year). I would say that is already taxes on ability to pay. Again, ability to pay is such a squishy number that it boils down to what I was saying before. Of special interest in this debate is a new study on inequality by researchers at the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) in Paris (See they spell their name with an "s" and are in Paris so that means they are European and thus GOOD by definition) reveals that when it comes to household taxes (income taxes and employee social security contributions) the U.S. "has the most progressive tax system and collects the largest share of taxes from the richest 10% of the population." The study showed that the U.S. tax system is far more progressive--meaning pro-poor--than similar systems in countries most Americans identify with high taxes, such as France and Sweden.
Here is the PayOff so read closely.....
Even ***after accounting** for the fact that the top 10 percent of households in the U.S. have one of the highest shares of market income among OECD nations, our tax system is second only to Ireland in terms of its progressivity for households.
The U.S. collects ***more household tax revenue from the top 10 percent of households than any other country and extracts the most from that income group relative to their share of the nation's income***.(emphasis added)
Kurt Ullman wrote:

AND
There are only two countries in the world that tax income from overseas employment. The Philippines is one. Care to guess the other?

And the Philipines have always viewed their citizens as essentially an exportable commodity. Why else are their nursing schools based largely on a westen model and enroll almost 3 times what the country needs (among other professions).

Better than illegals!!
I worked in hi-tech for years. We were definitely a world company, hiring from all free countries. I was shocked at the difference in cultures. The Chinese are idiots. The Japanese, morons. Arrogant morons. South America? Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but hard working and more than willing to learn. Euros? Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Of all the nationalities I worked with, the Filipinos impressed me the most. Smart, clever, polite. Always smart, never presumptuous. Usually overqualified to the point of embarrassing.
Perfect example. Qwest, my ISP, jes got absorbed by Centurylink. Did anyone tell the customer? Hell no! So, my email accts are all hosed and I call support. Two hours and 4 support ppl later, a young tech in the Phillipines solves my problems. Two US based techs and one Indian were clueless droids. No surprise, here.
Oh yeah! Filipino food is killer. ;)
nb

It could easily be class warfare. I went to school, I worked hard and today I make a good living with what I consider easy work. It took me a long time and many 60 hour weeks to get to this point. If someone chose not to study, not to work at a responsible job, they should not get a tax break and make me pay more.
Some people don't have the physical or mental ability to make a lot of money and deserve a break, but there are a lot that just don't care but expect me to pay a bigger share. Screw them!

I'm ready to agree with your last sentiment.
All we need is a good scheme for figuring out which is which.
--
Dan Espen

On 8/10/2011 10:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote: (snip)

'from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs'
Okay, gotcha.
-- aem sends...

Nice to have an ideology that allows you to stop thinking and just pull out a talking point.
Why don't we tax people that can't pay?
--
Dan Espen

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I don't know. I've long advocated the "Flat-Flat Tax." Take the budget, divide by the population, each pays that amount.
The short version: There are those, admittedly, who don't have the cash to hand over $10,000 to the feds. They could, however, "contribute" one unit of blood platelets, valued at $1,000, each month for ten months. I call this my Tax Withdrawal Plan.
The teen-age mother of four bastards has an obvious problem. Overcoming it, she can "contribute" a kidney (fair market value $200,000) thereby having the tax for herself and her brood paid for four years. After four years, she could "contribute" a cornea. And so on.
On Aug 10, 11:06pm, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I don't think aemeijers is the one that's stopped thinking. All he did was bring up a quote that shows Karl Marx thinking is exactly like yours. I'll bet most of the libs trying to start class warfare don't even know the quote.

Oh, they know it. They know it.

Words to live by.

Another interesting angle to think about. The top 5% of income earners pay about 60% of the total income tax collected. While the bottom 50% of income earners pay only 2% of the income tax. If you want to start playing the class warfare game, seems to me a case could be made that the taxes should instead be raised on those making lower incomes.
============================================================================ Since they control 95% of the wealth, 60% of the taxes appear awful small.

So you're in favor of taxing wealth?

They do in the UK. It's called the "asset tax."

Some states have similar ("personal property tax"), but I was asking him the obvious question.

Well duh!

Next question: Do you understand the difference between "wealth" and "income"?

They MADE 100% of the wealth. And they're being robbed for their efforts.
--
Tegger

I have seen that number tossed around, but NEVER with a citation.