OT: Millionaires ask for higher taxes

Page 1 of 5
http://patrioticmillionaires.org /
A video on the website has various people saying why they signed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y27vCJfXVcc&feature=player_embedded

Forbes magazine recently had an article on millionaires who want to pay higher taxes.
According to Forbes, apparently the IRS has something set up so that people who want to pay more tax than they need to may do so. The problem? just about everybody who actually contributes makes less than $25,000 per year. Almost no millionaires in the list of actual contributors.
--
Tegger

The last time I checked, you can send the IRS a check at anytime you want if you feel you're not paying enough. It's real simple, if these so called *people* that say they don't pay enough simply changed the amounts they write off, they could easily pay much more. But as you said, *none* have stepped up and actually done it and that includes Buffet

America is the land of greed. You didn't expect them to pay? Their mission is to grind the poor into the ground.
harryagain wrote:

I'm reminded of what Solomon said to his father (King David) when his father asked: "Are you still putting stumbling blocks in the path of the blind?"
Solomon said: "Duh! It wouldn't work to put stumbling blocks in front of people who could actually SEE them, would it?"
And while I have your attention, Harry, one blogger suggested the root cause of the riots in the UK.
"... lack of incoming fire" was his hypothesis.
On 8/10/2011 2:31 AM, harryagain wrote:

Americans give more money to charity than any other people on the planet you idiot. You will find people like me who have little will help out a neighbor or anyone they can if we see a need. What a jerk you are!
TDD

At least some of them are giving to charity. A charity depends on donations, the US government should be able to make a sensible tax code so it takes care of itself.

True, but it is still a right off for them. And when people think or feel the tax code is fair, they cheat less and pay what is required. So yes, a sensible tax code does take care of itself
On 08/10/11 12:54 am, ChairMan wrote:

How could one establish a budget for a whole nation where part of the revenue comes from voluntary contributions?
Perce

Pretty much the same way we do now... guess work. Income tax revenue fluctuates with the economy. It is certainly volatile.

Charities, churches, fraternal organizations do it all the time. Income fluctuates in real life so budgets get changed as needed.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There IS a difference between (most) governments and the rest of society (families, charitable organizations, etc.).
Non-government budgeters estimate revenues and adjust spending to match. The federal government, and most states, estimate expenses and adjust revenue accordingly, through tax increases or borrowing.
I just heard that the federal deficit has hit $1 trillion already with two months to go in the fiscal year. This is the third year in a row where the deficit has exceeded one trillion dollars.

Buffett is an outlier anyway. He owns the place and has the ability to structure his pay anyway he wants to and he chooses to get most of it through dividends and other tax advantaged methods. Why I take little notice of his comparison to his secretary. Very few people can do what he does with his pay.

But, he is one of Obamas cronies that doesn't think the rich pay enough, but still avoids all he can. I think there is a word for that
ChairMan wrote:

Duh! Almost always someone becomes a millionaire because he's smarter than your average rabbit. Smart people don't give their money to people who will just use it to buy beer, crack, a motorcycle, or fritter it away (I count the federal government in one of those groups).

Another interesting angle to think about. The top 5% of income earners pay about 60% of the total income tax collected. While the bottom 50% of income earners pay only 2% of the income tax. If you want to start playing the class warfare game, seems to me a case could be made that the taxes should instead be raised on those making lower incomes.

They top 5% also has 90% of all the wealth,so you feel sorry for the rich,you beer guzzling,redneck?

weren't for the rich you would probably not have a job.
Gordon Shumway
Vote Democrat, it is easier than working.
Gordon Shumway writes:

Almost all businesses require both management and workers.
Nothing wrong with management being paid well, but I fail to see how that makes it a requirement that the workers be destitute.
Lately scientific progress has made it possible for almost all of us to live well. As a bonus, society works better that way.
--
Dan Espen

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:37:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I would argue that those who are destitute are not the workers. They are the ones who by chance or choice are not working and therefore, paying no taxes. Those are the ones putting the burden on those that are working.