OT Mexico v. Arizona - with help

I apologize for off topic, but from what I have observed about many of the people who frequent this NG, I thought it would be of interest to several of you . Bob
Please take a couple minutes to at least start to watch this vid clip.
I encourage you to forward this, but you decide.
The person in this video is a professor (Ph.D.) at Yavapai College (pronounced yeah-va-pie) in Prescott, Arizona.
He puts a different spin on what Obama is doing to help Arizona and he repeats the important parts and speaks slow enough to allow you to follow what he's saying; must be why he's rated highly by his students - 3.8 on a 4.0 scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsH8xvjTAlo

Bob-tx
On 1/24/2011 1:12 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

Hey - you forgot to include the link to the rebuttal video. Don't you want people to see both sides and make up their own minds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkigYmx6_fY&feature=player_embedded
#!
Wherein Judge Andrew Napolitano explains why the Arizona statute is unconstitutional, suggests legal means that Arizona can employ to protect its borders, notes that no president since Richard Nixon has wanted to restrict illegal immigration (because both political parties benefit from it), and points out that being an illegal immigrant is not a criminal offense, though Arizona wants to make it so.
(Silver lining: the more OT crap gets posted here, the more it plays merry hell with the Homeowner's Hub site.)

No, I did not 'forget' to include the rebuttal link!!! I wasn't aware of it. Bob-tx
On 1/25/2011 5:41 AM, Bob-tx wrote:

The judge makes a very good point about the specific powers of the state and federal government but the federal government will not enforce the law and protect the people of the states as it is required to do. So what is the individual state to do? The feds tell the state "Those are our criminals leave them alone." It makes no sense.
TDD

Nobody gives a rat's ass what Judge Napolitano or anybody else thinks about Arizona's new law. The opinion that counts will be coming soon enough from the Supreme Court.

That makes it sound like the current administration is doing nothing. Deportations are up under Obama and so is border enforcement.
So what is the individual state to do? The feds tell the state

In fact ICE and Arizona share arrest data and have since 2010. A good part of the reason why deportations are up.
Most of the violence in the border area is not due to illegal immigrants, they have a lower arrest rate than legals (the reason why is obvious), but is due to drug trafficking. Arizona's law does little to fix that. But this isn't really about what works and what doesn't, what is constitutional and what isn't. It's largely about throwing red meat to the party of the terminally upset.
It makes no sense.
Because it ain't so.
Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote:

Both of which are largely irrelevant. So what if deportations are double those of prior administrations if the number of illegal immigrants increases five-fold? More immigrants implies a greater chance of catching some, but also implies a greater chance of more getting through.
The better metric whould be the number of illegal immigrants that manage to avoid detection for, say, one year.

I agree that simply catching more immigrants won't stop the flow of drug smugglers - there are an almost infinite number of Mexicans waiting in line.
Catching more will disincentivize the "honest" illegal immigrant who merely wants a job. That may be enough inasmuch as the drug smugglers are here only temporarily; they drop their load beside the road and go home. By air-conditioned bus.
On 1/25/2011 12:37 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Except that all evidence is that the illegal immigrant population has been *falling* in AZ and has been since 2008:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/07/30/20090730illegalpopulation0730.html
More recent figures put that down another 100K.
Any stats to the contrary?
More immigrants implies a greater chance of catching some, but

Have you ridden in a bus lately? And what would the alternative be? It's cheaper/easier/quicker to just send them on their way, these days few attempt to recross.
In spite of all the anger, all evidence is that illegal immigration is becoming less, not more, of a problem. Stepped up enforcement and the dismal prospect of getting a shitty job are taking their toll.
Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote:

No, but I did once in my youth. (Aside: My brother-in-law was a long-distance driver for Greyhound. He got laid on EVERY trip by a female passenger! He atributed it to the continual vibration...).

I agree. Still, the chances of employment in the US are far greater than in Mexico. Then, too, robbery is more lucrative in the U.S. than in Mexico.
Plus, the economy will turn around someday. Maybe.

Were they on the bus, or were you?

Don't look near the drain.
Oren wrote:

Horney female engineers?
It doesn't get any better than that.

...or more rare.

Ugly girls get horney too!

Reminds me of some graffiti on a restroom wall at MIT.
"Differences between MIT women and a toilet seat"
* You can get used to the looks of a toilet seat * Toilet seats alwas go down for you * Toilet seats take a lot of shit without complaining * You don't have to kiss a toilet seat to use it
There were others, but you get the drift.
HeyBub wrote:

* Holes in toilet seats don't get stretched out. * Toilet seats don't get headaches * You can have a conversation with a toilet seat * Toilet seats are ready when you are * Toilet seats warm up quickly * Toilet seats rarely become unhinged

Its a criminal offense if you trespassed on land that my family owns and we would prosecute. The citizens of the United States are the owners of the territories of The United States. If a majority of United States citizens decide that trespassing on The United States is a criminal offense and they want to prosecute then they can, and at this rate if it isnt a United States majority yet it soon will be.

If the US were a democracy where people voted directly, that would be true. With a republic, you have the little problem of the law having to pass the House, Senate and be signed into law by the president.
On Jan 25, 7:50am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Thats exactly why, like in the last election, the old dregs are being voted out of office