OT: Memory Test

A MEMORY TEST FOR OLDSTERS - IF THEY CAN REMEMBER

(Answers below, but don't cheat.)

01.After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, Who was that masked man? Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?________________.

02.When the Beatles first came to the U.S. .In early 1964, we all watched them on The _______________ Show.

03'Get your kicks, __________________.'

04.'The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to ___________________.'

05.'In the jungle, the mighty jungle, ________________.'

  1. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we 'danced' under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the '_____________.'

07.Nestle's makes the very best . .. . . _______________.'

08.Satchmo was America 's 'Ambassador of Goodwill.' Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was _________________.

09.What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? _______________.

  1. Red Skeleton's hobo character was named __________________ and Red always ended his television show by saying, 'Good Night, and '________ ________. '

11.Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their______________.

  1. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called the VW. What other names did it go by? ____________ &_______________.

13.In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, 'the day the music died.' This was a tribute to ___________________.

14.We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called ___________________.

  1. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the __ ______________.

ANSWERS :

01..The Lone Ranger left behind a silver bullet. 02.The Ed Sullivan Show 03..On Route 66 04..To protect the innocent. 05.The Lion Sleeps Tonight 06.The limbo 07.Chocolate 08..Louis Armstrong 09.The Timex watch 10.Freddy, The Freeloader and 'Good Night and God Bless.' 11.Draft cards (Bras were also burned. Not flags, as some have guessed) 12.Beetle or Bug 13.Buddy Holly 14.Sputnik 15.Hoola-hoop

Send this to your 'old' friends, (better known as Seniors.) It will drive them crazy ! And keep them busy and let them forget their aches and pains for a few minutes

Reply to
HeyBub
01.After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, Who was that masked man? Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?__Gonnohrea___.

02.When the Beatles first came to the U.S. .In early 1964, we all watched them on The __Leave It to Beaver__ Show.

03'Get your kicks, __just be home by ten, and don't ever marry her__.'

04.'The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to __Assist with editorial license__.'

05.'In the jungle, the mighty jungle, __Tarzan is screaming because he fell out of a tree__.'

  1. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we 'danced' under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the '__The Unpole Unvault__.'

07.Nestle's makes the very best . .. . . __So, now, get this off your chest__.'

08.Satchmo was America 's 'Ambassador of Goodwill.' Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was __Bill Clinton__.

09.What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? __I dunno, but they just blew it up in Afghanistan Fahr In Da Hoal!__.

  1. Red Skeleton's hobo character was named __Pockets__ and Red always ended his television show by saying, 'Good Night, and '__Doan Foget ta put out da trash__. '

11.Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their__Brassieres__.

  1. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called the VW. What other names did it go by? __That dumb shit piece of rust__ &__That Goddamn Heap___.

13.In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, 'the day the music died.' This was a tribute to __Ethyl Merman___.

14.We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called __Stalin__.

  1. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the __Bread Bag Tie__.

Hey, what am I here after? Oh, yeah. Use a two inch dryall screw, and remember to pilot hole. Spackle it in, and sand lightly. Then, replace the cartridge, and flush out the rust. Make sure the cartridge is properly grounded. And, degauss the defibrillator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

14 out of 15 , and I'm not even that old (though I guess I'l older than I think sometimes)
Reply to
clare

That is just stuff you know if you grew up in the 50s.

Reply to
gfretwell

A card that said "Have Gun - Will Travel"?

Reply to
Red Hymen

This stuff is easy. It's the stuff I learned last year that gives me trouble.

My answers that vary from the answer key below.

protect the innocent_.' I still listen to Dragnet on the radio wamu.org at 7PM Sundaynighth

The poor soul, or was that Jackie Gleason's

No "and". Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are. Oops. That was Jimmy Durante.

Bug, Krautmobile

Vincent Van Gogh ?? Doesn't he relate to the song too?

Hula Hoop I guess I misspelled it.

Reply to
micky

We called them "Potato Bug, pregnant roller skate, or POS"!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Shucks-- I went with 'a cloud of dust and a hearty 'Hi-ho, Silver!'.

That and Freddy was all I missed. I was afraid this was going to end with 'when is your wedding anniversary, or 'what did you have for lunch' or 'where are your car keys'.

I have a lot more trouble with them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I was born in the 70s and have lived overseas for most of the time since, and I still got 12 of them; I think a lot of it is stuff that you "just know" if you pay attention to the world, regardless of how old you are.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

These are what I didn't have a definitive answer for:

  1. The Lone Ranger left behind a silver bullet.
  2. Chocolate
  3. Freddy, The Freeloader and 'Good Night and God Bless.'

I knew that Nestle's makes chocolate - I was expecting the answer to be more - sophisticated.

Given that this is a memory test for American oldsters - as a Canadian growing up in the 70's I didn't do too bad...

Reply to
Home Guy

The chocolate sounded more like Choooock let.

Reply to
joevan

That's why I got them all right.

Reply to
Frank

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I got 13; numbers 3 and 10 are a little before my time.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Maybe you just watch a lot of re-runs?

Reply to
HeyBub

Ah, but there IS a cure for your defective genes entering the gene pool, you miserable rack of diseased shit!

My buddy at Coldstream Distribution in Manchester is an ex-SAS member (or is related to one, or knows one, he wasn't very clear). After showing him your taunts, he volunteered to assist in a tune-up. Your days are numbered, asshole.

Reply to
HeyBub

When Nestles was getting started, people pronounced it Nessles based on how wrestle, thistle, and a bunch of other words are pronounced.

So they added the accent over the second e. I don't know if the accent is used in French or not.

Chocolate was said in a very low voice. That must have been the sophistication.

Pretty good.

Reply to
micky

I remember this one...1st hand!

Bob_Villa

14.5 out of 15.

The .5 that I missed was "Freddy, The Freeloader".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you missed out on Red Skelton as a kid, you were deprived. Red was one of the old school comedians who could be hysterically funny without using foul language and lascivious references. When I was a kid and TV was black and white, the whole family would crowd around to watch the Red Skelton show every week. You could repeat his jokes at school without experiencing the result of multiple high speed collisions to your buttocks by a an open hand, belt or paddle. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Exactly the same here.

We didn't have a TV until '64 and Red was pretty much history by then. I'd seen him at others' houses but it wasn't a regular thing. Funny, sure.

Reply to
krw