OT, maybe - illegal immigrant roofing crews in Dallas Texas?

Page 1 of 2
Due to hail damage I may be getting my roof replaced (insurance) - a guy came by with an estimate after looking at the roof - I asked him if everyone that would be doing the work on my house was working here legally - he laughed at me - "Americans won't do that kind of work . . ." - I don't want to support the illegal immigration mess - is is possible to find a roofing company here in the Dallas area that employs legal workers?
On 7/27/2011 8:41 AM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

Illegals are all over and most probably do good work but some is bad. I'd look for quality.
Frank wrote:

But some folks can't even distinguish good work from bad looking at the roof, LOL! One pays little extra for quality. I have a ceramic coated metal roof tiles(European origin) which will last my life time at least.
wrote in

Find out from the IRS and Texas equivalent whther the company is paying taxes, especially SS, Medicare and workers' comp. Whether the workers would get benefits is less of a concern to me than whether the taxes are paid to support my retirement <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2011-07-27, AngryOldWhiteGuy

I hate that line of BS. It's one of the biggest myths (lies!) ever foisted off on the American public. The worst part is, it's the dirtbag politicians of both parties that are perpetuating these lies. The truth is right where I live, where apparently, illegals are not want to tread. We've got almost no illegals, here at 8k ft in the CO Rockies, and "Americans" do all the construction, from sewers to rooftops, and cook in all the restaurants and are damn happy to have the work. Back in CA, where I came from, you couldn't even work in the trades unless you spoke Spanish AND were willing to work for the same wages paid 35 yrs ago!! There is no mystery why we are overrun with illegals. Big business can't take domestic construction and other service industries offshore. If you can't export the jobs, entice the underpaid illegals, here, while Uncle Sam turns a blind eye.
Grrrr.... don't even get me started!! :(
nb --angry American
mit.com> wrote:

I truly feel sorry for these people but think all illegals should be removed from the US. I too wish the politicians woud get this through their thick heads. In spite of the fact that they might be productive, they are a drag on the economy. To educate a student in the public school system here in Delaware costs $15,000 and the schools are full of anchor kids. The state did a study a couple of years ago and promptly buried it when they found it was costing the average citizen of Delaware about $100 apiece to support the people that should not be here.
AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote the following:

Most of the fruit and vegetables you eat are probably farmed by illegals. Don't eat any of it unless you know who farmed it. My next door neighbor had the entire roof of his split level 30 x 60 house torn off and reshingled in one day. The shingles were delivered the day before, along with a big dumpster. Early the next morning they showed up and got right to work. There must have been 10 of them up there in the heat of summer. They never broke for lunch either. All I heard all day was hammering, Spanish, and salsa music. I don't know if they were legal or not. They were done at about 5 PM after cleaning all the debris from the ground.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

blah
blah
OK - I know illegals do a lot of work here - and I'm not saying they do bad work - I just don't want them to do any work for me - I can't change the world, but I can change what I do.
I'll keep looking for a legal roofer here in Dallas . . .
In

try www.dal-roof.com ask for John, he uses mexicans but I believe they are all legal

Thanks for the referral ChairMan - but just to be clear - I have nothing against Mexicans - or Martians - all I want is for them to be here legally.
In

Johns' crews have been working for him for about 15-20 yrs, tell him I sent ya Good luck

I had my pool replastered. 32,000 gallon in ground pool, built in the late 70s. They came (they being a couple of Anglo-Saxon looking types, and about 12 Hispanics) at 7 AM on Monday. They were jackhammering it out and running back and forth with wheelbarrows so full I know I couldn't do it. At 2 PM Tuesday, we were refilling the pool. Same way with the landscaping. Wrecked out a bunch of old walkway, and installed pavers, irrigation, and plants. Took about three days. They were busting it with sledge hammers. I told the contractor that he should get them a jackhammer at least. He said they wouldn't know what to do with it, but THEY preferred sledges. Darn fine work that it would have taken Anglos much longer to git r' done. Americans WILL do the work, it just takes twice as long and costs twice as much.
Steve
wrote

fine - as are Norweigans, or Chinese - just as long as they are living and working here legally.
On 2011-07-27, AngryOldWhiteGuy

Bingo! Hell, a third of my family is now Mexican. My adorable grandaughters are half Mexican. I love Mexican food. All are naturalized or native born. Fine by me. That's why I always use the term, illegals. Couldn't care less about nationality.
nb
--
vi ...the heart of evil

in message wrote

They were all doing so well, I saw no need to stop the work to chat with them. What makes you ass-u-me that they were all illegals?
Steve
wrote

Yeah, those stinkin' ungrateful American wretches, expecting fair compensation for blue collar hard labor while, you GET fair compensation for whatever it is you do.
I once worked in the swimming pool biz and busted my chops 6 days a week, 12-16 hrs day. Jack hammering, shoveling, sweating in 100+ degree temps, covered in gunite dust till I was black with it. But, I got paid good for it. That was when pools cost $8-15K. Now, you pay $50-100K for the same pool and the illegals are still getting what I made 30 yrs ago, but you don't mind cuz you don't wanna pay more money to "Americans", even if YOUR pay scale kept pace.
I hope you get hit by a gunite truck driven by illegals.
nb --hard ass workin' white boy
--
vi ...the heart of evil

Dang, Bob. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. Through life, I have always negotiated. I never worked for anyone, nor had anyone work for me without everything being agreed to in front. I took advantage of no one.
BTW, when I work, I get $85 an hour.
Steve

But you weren't 40 yrs ago. If the "Americans" building pools got your same pay increases, they'd still be building pools and making a living wage, as they were back then. That's why most of the unions were busted and illegals allowed to flood the labor force. People like you don't think hard working "Americans" deserve the same pay increases you got. They're not worthy of just compensation for busting their hump on a roof where it's 130F and they earn a living by the sweat of their brow. They're not worthy cuz they didn't go to college ...blah blah....
(why am I arguing with this dolt?)
nb

Gee, Bob, I don't know. I was a "working man", starting my own welding business, and turned it into a steel erection contractor business. I worked offshore oilfield, doing 24, 36, and 48 hour gigs. I have worked 12-16 hours a day for months at a time. I've stayed at sea for months at a time. I owned businesses, and corporations. I have a total of maybe 12 hours of college. Trade school - welding. In house training for various companies I worked for. Union trade classes. I don't consider myself anything special as far as the working class is concerned. Today, I got up at 0530, and at 0600 started working with my helper on my construction project on my own property, rather than hire it out. Steel work. Welding. I'm 62, had a five way bypass and have an artificial heart valve. I'm on my third 18 year old helper, drove two of them into the ground because they couldn't keep up with me.
You wanna join me in a chorus of Working Class Hero? I don't get your point, and think you have me confused with someone else.
Big deal, I wrote a book about my heart surgery. Anyone with high school English can do the same thing.
Being stupid in life can be temporary or permanent, everyone has the right to do what they want. Sean Hannity used to be a dishwasher.
Steve
--

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com