OT, maybe - illegal immigrant roofing crews in Dallas Texas?

Due to hail damage I may be getting my roof replaced (insurance) - a guy came by with an estimate after looking at the roof - I asked him if everyone that would be doing the work on my house was working here legally - he laughed at me - "Americans won't do that kind of work . . ." - I don't want to support the illegal immigration mess - is is possible to find a roofing company here in the Dallas area that employs legal workers?

Reply to
AngryOldWhiteGuy

I guess illegality doesn't bother me as much as getting a good job done. Illegals are all over and most probably do good work but some is bad. I'd look for quality.

Reply to
Frank

"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote in news:j0p11k$sg8$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Find out from the IRS and Texas equivalent whther the company is paying taxes, especially SS, Medicare and workers' comp. Whether the workers would get benefits is less of a concern to me than whether the taxes are paid to support my retirement .

Reply to
Han

I hate that line of BS. It's one of the biggest myths (lies!) ever foisted off on the American public. The worst part is, it's the dirtbag politicians of both parties that are perpetuating these lies. The truth is right where I live, where apparently, illegals are not want to tread. We've got almost no illegals, here at 8k ft in the CO Rockies, and "Americans" do all the construction, from sewers to rooftops, and cook in all the restaurants and are damn happy to have the work. Back in CA, where I came from, you couldn't even work in the trades unless you spoke Spanish AND were willing to work for the same wages paid 35 yrs ago!! There is no mystery why we are overrun with illegals. Big business can't take domestic construction and other service industries offshore. If you can't export the jobs, entice the underpaid illegals, here, while Uncle Sam turns a blind eye.

Grrrr.... don't even get me started!! :(

nb --angry American

Reply to
notbob

Hi, But some folks can't even distinguish good work from bad looking at the roof, LOL! One pays little extra for quality. I have a ceramic coated metal roof tiles(European origin) which will last my life time at least.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I truly feel sorry for these people but think all illegals should be removed from the US. I too wish the politicians woud get this through their thick heads. In spite of the fact that they might be productive, they are a drag on the economy. To educate a student in the public school system here in Delaware costs $15,000 and the schools are full of anchor kids. The state did a study a couple of years ago and promptly buried it when they found it was costing the average citizen of Delaware about $100 apiece to support the people that should not be here.

Reply to
Frank

AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote the following:

Most of the fruit and vegetables you eat are probably farmed by illegals. Don't eat any of it unless you know who farmed it. My next door neighbor had the entire roof of his split level 30 x 60 house torn off and reshingled in one day. The shingles were delivered the day before, along with a big dumpster. Early the next morning they showed up and got right to work. There must have been 10 of them up there in the heat of summer. They never broke for lunch either. All I heard all day was hammering, Spanish, and salsa music. I don't know if they were legal or not. They were done at about 5 PM after cleaning all the debris from the ground.

Reply to
willshak

blah

blah

blah

OK - I know illegals do a lot of work here - and I'm not saying they do bad work - I just don't want them to do any work for me - I can't change the world, but I can change what I do.

I'll keep looking for a legal roofer here in Dallas . . .

Reply to
AngryOldWhiteGuy

In news:j0pia1$h4d$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, AngryOldWhiteGuy spewed forth:

try

ask for John, he uses mexicans but I believe they are all legal

Reply to
ChairMan

"willshak" wrote

I had my pool replastered. 32,000 gallon in ground pool, built in the late

70s. They came (they being a couple of Anglo-Saxon looking types, and about 12 Hispanics) at 7 AM on Monday. They were jackhammering it out and running back and forth with wheelbarrows so full I know I couldn't do it. At 2 PM Tuesday, we were refilling the pool. Same way with the landscaping. Wrecked out a bunch of old walkway, and installed pavers, irrigation, and plants. Took about three days. They were busting it with sledge hammers. I told the contractor that he should get them a jackhammer at least. He said they wouldn't know what to do with it, but THEY preferred sledges. Darn fine work that it would have taken Anglos much longer to git r' done. Americans WILL do the work, it just takes twice as long and costs twice as much.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Get some more bids, take the one that is highest and you'll probably get American workers. Last time I had roof work done in central Florida- about

15 months ago the price was $50/per hour per man. Ouch! All good ol' boys though. I supplied materials (left over from original job 15 years ago).
Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks for the referral ChairMan - but just to be clear - I have nothing against Mexicans - or Martians - all I want is for them to be here legally.

Reply to
AngryOldWhiteGuy

I'm assuming that the 12 Hispanics were 12 illegal workers - Hispanics are fine - as are Norweigans, or Chinese - just as long as they are living and working here legally.

Reply to
AngryOldWhiteGuy

Yeah, those stinkin' ungrateful American wretches, expecting fair compensation for blue collar hard labor while, you GET fair compensation for whatever it is you do.

I once worked in the swimming pool biz and busted my chops 6 days a week, 12-16 hrs day. Jack hammering, shoveling, sweating in 100+ degree temps, covered in gunite dust till I was black with it. But, I got paid good for it. That was when pools cost $8-15K. Now, you pay $50-100K for the same pool and the illegals are still getting what I made 30 yrs ago, but you don't mind cuz you don't wanna pay more money to "Americans", even if YOUR pay scale kept pace.

I hope you get hit by a gunite truck driven by illegals.

nb --hard ass workin' white boy

Reply to
notbob

Bingo! Hell, a third of my family is now Mexican. My adorable grandaughters are half Mexican. I love Mexican food. All are naturalized or native born. Fine by me. That's why I always use the term, illegals. Couldn't care less about nationality.

nb

Reply to
notbob

"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote in message news:j0prmt$j7l$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

They were all doing so well, I saw no need to stop the work to chat with them. What makes you ass-u-me that they were all illegals?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Dang, Bob. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. Through life, I have always negotiated. I never worked for anyone, nor had anyone work for me without everything being agreed to in front. I took advantage of no one.

BTW, when I work, I get $85 an hour.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Based on what I saw in Louisiana after Katrina/Rita, I doubt it. Almost every roofing crew I saw was little brown men, most working their asses off, with only Spanish or other languages to be heard. I have no way of knowing which were legal and which were not, but that is between them, the contractor, and La Migra. As long as the contract is with a licensed and insured company, and the job is done to accepted workmanlike standards, I don't really care if the work crew is from Mars. I spend several weeks down in LA every year, and usually get to see one or more construction sites. You pretty much have to speak Spanish to be a foreman or crew leader down there. Spanish speaking /= illegal, of course, but you can do the math on the odds, versus a crew up here in the frozen north.

Reply to
aemeijers

Based on what I saw in Louisiana after Katrina/Rita, I doubt it. Almost every roofing crew I saw was little brown men, most working their asses off, with only Spanish or other languages to be heard. I have no way of knowing which were legal and which were not, but that is between them, the contractor, and La Migra. As long as the contract is with a licensed and insured company, and the job is done to accepted workmanlike standards, I don't really care if the work crew is from Mars. I spend several weeks down in LA every year, and usually get to see one or more construction sites. You pretty much have to speak Spanish to be a foreman or crew leader down there. Spanish speaking /= illegal, of course, but you can do the math on the odds, versus a crew up here in the frozen north.

Reply to
aemeijers

In news:j0prir$i9m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, AngryOldWhiteGuy spewed forth:

Johns' crews have been working for him for about 15-20 yrs, tell him I sent ya Good luck

Reply to
ChairMan