OT: Man faces life in prison after ‘stealing £22 worth of sweets’

If you ever wondered how Louisiana became the world’s prison capital, this particular incident might help you to understand. A man is facing life in prison after allegedly stuffing his pockets with chocolate bars worth $31, or £22. Jacobia Grimes, who has five prior convictions for theft – of all of which totalled less than $500 – is to be charged by prosecutors under Louisiana’s ‘habitual offender law’.
The law, which has been in place for three decades, means that the 34-year-old could potentially go to prison for 20 years to life. He has already spent nine years in prison for his previous convictions.
In a 2012 expose by The Times-Picayune, it was reported that Louisiana’s incarceration rate is ‘nearly five times Iran’s, 13 times China’s and 20 times Germany’s.’ Though each Louisiana prisoner costs the state, on average, around $18,800 per year, most facilities are for-profit. In the words of The Times-Picayune, they ‘must be supplied with a constant influx of human beings or a $182million (£128million) industry will go bankrupt.’
http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/03/man-faces-life-in-prison-after-stealing-22-worth-of-sweets-5792637/#ixzz44pkEzxf4
--
Bod

So what do you recommend? How would you punish a career criminal?
On 04/04/2016 07:21, dangerous dan wrote:

not a murderer. To give such a person the same punishment as a murderer is insanity, IMO. Perhaps if the authorities put more effort into rehabilitating the guy then he would have a chance of getting on the straight and narrow. The prison is run on a *for profit* basis which suggests that they actually want criminals to return to their jail. They are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut (so to speak). Way over the top.
--
Bod

No. The prison makes a profit for those who own the prison, but they are not the ones who decide if someone goes to prison.
They may lobby the legislature for laws that permit this, but in practice I don't remember for sure, but I think it's very likely the law in La. was made well before private prisons were created there. They may welll lobby to keep the law from being changed, and of course lobbying is permitted by the Constitution, but it is to be hoped that there are campaign contribution reporting requirements to show if any money is given to legislators.
Other than that I agree with you.

On 05/04/2016 14:32, Micky wrote:

Ok, thanks for your response.
--
Bod

On 4/5/2016 9:32 AM, Micky wrote:

The law was made to be a deterrent. If you got caught one more time would you still take the chance? I wouldn't but I have enough common sense to know I'd be gone, but the typical common petty thief does not think that way. They think for the moment and at the moment he neede a couple of bucks for food, drugs, or beer.

I don't know the percentage, but it is over 50 % that commit the crimes over and over. Eliminate them and the crime rate will drop in half if not more.

Thank you for that information Mr. Obvious! Apparently math is not your strong suit.
On 05/04/2016 22:27, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Have you ever thought that there are other ways to skin a cat.
On Bastoy prison island in Norway, the prisoners, some of whom are murderers and rapists, live in conditions that critics brand 'cushy' and 'luxurious'. Yet it has by far the lowest reoffending rate in Europe.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/25/norwegian-prison-inmates-treated-like-people
--
Bod

On 4/5/2016 5:24 AM, Aardvark wrote:t's what they do
He is in the wrong business if he likes to steal. It can be done legally, Wall Street does it every day... Cost of name-brand prescription drugs doubled over last 5 years
On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 7:54:40 AM UTC-4, My 2 Cents wrote:

That can't be true. Obama said he fixed the rising costs. All hail Obama!

I'm not a fan of any Communist country, but China at least got that right.
On 05/04/2016 17:08, Gordon Shumway wrote:

--
Bod

They failed to teach him right from wrong.
On 05/04/2016 17:42, Gordon Shumway wrote:

--
Bod