OT Making a will

Has anyone in the group used the internet to make out a last will and testament? In person with a lawyer is probably best, but just curious if anyone has done it on-line.

Thank you and please forgive the OT.

Bob

Reply to
Bob R

I haven't done it on line but have done it with willmaker software. It's not too hard. If I had a lot to deal with I would have a lawyer do it but mine's not that complex. We even did our "living wills" ourselves that describe what to do if something should happen to us where if we were badly hurt and whether extraordinary means should be used to keep us alive if there isn't much hope for any "quality of life" should we survive.

The thing is to sign the will in front of a notary and several witnesses.

-C-

Reply to
Country

Witnesses who would not inherit from the testator if there were no will, not related to the testator or to each other.

Usually two is enough. Hopefully they'll still be alive and able to authenticate the will when the maker dies. My step sister was given property in a hand-written will made out in Florida. Turns out that some states don't require witneeses if the will is hand-written by the testator himself, but Florida still rewquires witnesses. So my sister got nothing.

Reply to
mm

LAST PLACE TO SAVE MONEY should be your Will. An estate attorney is trained to alert you to all kinds of portential problems.

I'm not an attorney, nor am I particularly fond of our national craze for litigation, but I'm pragmatic enough to protect my interests by getting professional help to plug leaks I might not foresee (block that metaphor!) If you have no money, no property, or no relatives who might contest your Will, by all means do one off the shelf.

But even if you Do It Yourself -- strongly not advised! -- please remember to execute and have notarized a ***Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care (better than Living Will),**** to avoid having the State and your relatives squabbling over whether to keep you in a permanent vegetative state. Shudder! The ultimate nightmare!

Be sure to file copies of the Durable Power not only with your attorney and your physician, but with your Executor and in your bank safe deposit box. Make sure your Executor has instant access to the box by including him/her on your account with the bank.

I assume we all know that if a person dies intestate, the State steps in to handle matters -- and takes their cut of the proceeds.

Today's factoid: The term "intestate" is related to "testimony" and other terms involving an important part of the male anatomy which was used in ancient times to take an oath. Check your Bible. (Be fun to see a Court demanding that the oath be taken Olde Style. Wouldn't it leave female litigants somewhat at a loss? Unless they get to borrow the judge's "equipment".)

Back to your Will: Be really sure to die in the right state. Some of these Bible Belt states will try to have you kept "alive" regardless of your written wishes.

People can be so irrational about executing Durable Power of Attorney while they are healthy and compos mentis. They don't want to look Death in the face. Result is often burdening your survivors with terrible responsibility for decisions that should have been YOURS.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson