OT - Mag light spring contributes to leaking?

I suspect that the strong spring on the tail cap contributes to leaking. Puts the batteries under mechanical pressure.
Has anyone else studied this, or got any anecdotal evidence? Are batteries more likely to leak in a Mag light, compared to out of?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My wife uses the light on her work when performing an eye exam. I replaced bulb couple times but never had leakage problem. I only use industrial grade Duracell batteries.

Eye exam? Would that be a mini mag? I can't remember having a leaky battery in mini mag. Just the D cell models. I've only owned one C cell mag, and that sits without batteries.
Hi, My wife uses the light on her work when performing an eye exam. I replaced bulb couple times but never had leakage problem. I only use industrial grade Duracell batteries.

Don't know if it is just me, but I have more battery leakage in Maglites than anything else. I used to get lots of the small ones for free, but now I would not buy one. With the cheap LEDs, Maglites are overrated and overpriced.
Steve

It could be the spring. Never thought of that before.
Personally, I always thought it was because Mag-Lights are so well-sealed internally: No air-flow.
I've had a number of Mag-Lights ruined on account of leaking batteries over the years, but never in that same span of time have any of my ordinary flashlights suffered from that problem. Same Duracell or Energizer batteries in all, too.
--
Tegger

From your experiences, might be the Mags have more leaks.
Some places, it's possible to leave the light and the batteries separately. Put the batteries in, at time of use. Other times, that's not practical.
It could be the spring. Never thought of that before.
Personally, I always thought it was because Mag-Lights are so well-sealed internally: No air-flow.
I've had a number of Mag-Lights ruined on account of leaking batteries over the years, but never in that same span of time have any of my ordinary flashlights suffered from that problem. Same Duracell or Energizer batteries in all, too.
--
Tegger

I now rubber-band the batteries to the exterior of the flashlight, in the orientation they need to be when installed.
--
Tegger

Democrat batteries face left, Republican batteries face right?
(Sounds like a very good idea.)
I now rubber-band the batteries to the exterior of the flashlight, in the orientation they need to be when installed.
--
Tegger

And libertarian batteries go in sideways.
--
Tegger

Tea party batteries insist on going back to the original paper work, and going in the way the Founding Manufacturers wanted.
Hey, this is fun! Lets keep going.

And libertarian batteries go in sideways.
--
Tegger

Perhaps. The one time, I had a leaker, I had to use a couple pipe wrenches to get the tail cap off my 4D mag. Stored with the bulb end up, so it makes sense any crud flowed down on to the threads. I now have a small light, so I can see enough to find some batteries for my big light.
My 3D lights (one in each vehicle) havn't been a problem, yet. Knock wood. Wish me luck.
I've got several mini mag lites and one large mag lite and so far in about 3 years no problems. Perhaps mine are still too new???

I've been replacing my Mag lights with LED flashlights More light in a smaller package, I've recently picked up 3 235 Lumen LED flashlights for $25 each. They're smaller than MiniMags, too
I'm waiting for a very bright LED conversion to go into the C and D cell Mag lites With the 3-4 battery Mags we should be able to have 300+ lumens out of them.
HVAC tech told me that alkaline batteries leak when in a partially discharged state and left in a hot car or service van.

I can easily imagine that. At least, in the warmer parts of the USA.