OT: Long Distance, phone card

My understanding is that for non-GPS equipped cell phones, 911 services can (and do) obtain a less accurate but still useful idea of where you are calling from via software that triangulates your location from every tower in the vicinity that can lock on to your phone's signal. The one time I had to call 911 with my 6 yr. old Nokia 6030, the operator knew quite accurately where I was without me having to tell her.

Reply to
Peter

In article , Peter

Using them from a payphone also costs, depending on the card, from 2 to

5 or 6 minutes. I spend a few months on the road every year and love them. As you mentioned the biggest pain is dialing the 800 number, then your pin and then the actual number you want to call. From my personal experience it is usually easier just to get another one than to get your old one refilled. Target used to have the best deal I could find, although last December when I went looking, I couldn't find that they still had the good deal from ATT. They are also available at Office Max, Office Depot, WalMart, many gas stations, so look around for the best plan.
Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I meant calling the vendors. Used to be the CC bill said it had to be over $50 and/or 50 miles from home or similar BS. I check my bill now and it doesn't say that anymore.

I'll give 'em a try.

I wasn't sure.

Many Thanks, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Yes. My suggestion was to look around at all those places and see what was offered and which was the best for them.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My wife buys cards to talk to her mother in Europe. I use the same card when I call my son in Australia. My son uses one to call me. Something like 6 hours for 5 bucks. You can lose some time for making the call itself. Different cards vary on that. You get told the number of minutes left when you connect with the provider, so you know if you're getting screwed. Some have quit working well before the allotted minutes are up. When she has trouble with any card, my wife gets a different branded card the next time, and sticks with it until it gives her a problem. Not saying this is a big issue, but it happens. She usually buys the cards at the Poilsh/Russian grocery where she food shops. Think she's bought them at the Dollar store too. If you have shops that cater to foreigners, try there. Might have national long distance cards too.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Besides that, first thing my wife does is write the tiny numbers down in big numbers on a big piece of paper. That way it's not so much torture dialing all those damn numbers.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

So, which card brand am I looking for? Any Office Max/Depot, etc? Any backed by ATT? The only ones I ever looked at were Walgreens.

Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

ALso look at the kinds of call you are making. For example, a couple charge more for Indiana intrastate calls than the nominal rate on the front. Seems to be something with the Indiana regulators because it seems to fairly standard across cards. (Some other states have similar intrastate added charges.)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Many thanks to Kurt, Vic, and Smitty Two for further advice.

I'll check 'em out. If I don't burn my eyes out reading the garbage fine print, maybe report back.

Cheers, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles