OT: Logitech Harmony One

Anyone have any first-hand experience with this? I've just rescued one with a bulging battery (no doubt, a charging issue!) and, while it "looks pretty", my past experiences with "smart remotes" hasn't been very exciting...

Reply to
Don Y

Takes awhile to set up and if you, like many of us "real men", don't like reading and following instructions you may wind up frustrated.

If you read and follow directions you can program it online fairly quickly - just takes some deliberate thought to get the sequence of events correct - and you're done.

I've had mine for about 4(?) years and love it.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I have a Harmony 700 and love it. Had an older Harmony before that, it died. Would buy another in a heart beat.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

A quick glance through some of the docs I downloaded suggests it wants to wipe my back end, flush *and* wash my hands, afterwards. Can I configure it to just be in a particular "mode". I.e., use it just to replace a bunch of different remotes INSTEAD of having it switch this, switch that, then do whatever? (I will assume that this is where "issues" arise: "It FORGOT to swap the TV over to AUX input 2 before powering up the stereo and turning on the DVD player...")

"Online"? So, the information regarding the various devices I may want it wants to control is NOT present in the software download but, rather, must be "consulted" on-line?

Can I, instead, just say, "learn this button on this remote" and NOT have to talk to logitech's server?

Reply to
Don Y

Go to RemoteCentral.com they have in-depth reviews of some Harmony remotes -- basically they all work the same just with different layouts, screens and bell and whistles.

Reply to
EXT

On 30 Oct 2015, Don Y wrote in alt.home.repair:

You don't say what it is you want to do about it, but I found this video on Youtube about how to extract a swollen battery from that model remote.

Nil

I am using one with our home theater. Without it wife will be lost. Replacement battery is ~10.00 at eBay. Could be a charging cradle issue. There is a guy who repairs them. Also sells parts for DIY'er. snipped-for-privacy@harmonyremoterepair.com is a guy to talk to. He is very helpful.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Programming the remote is almost limitless. In my family's case just touch watch TV, play Blue ray DVD, listen to radio, connect HTPC, Play Karaoke, etc. The LCD is touch pad. You can make it learn any device button if the device is not in the data base.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks, but I opted to just recycle it. The idea of having to keep a piece of software (in addition to the OS that it runs under) around just to *use* a device -- PLUS hope that an internet based SERVICE remains operational for as long as I may want to use (modify) that device -- is a non-starter for me. I can do what I need to do without incurring that additional "penalty".

Easier to just add it to the pile of stuff going in the car and let someone else worry about "reclaimed value". (but, I'd better get moving and get out of here before they close up shop! why do people open for business in the *morning*??! )

Reply to
Don Y
[snip]

If I'm not too late, may I volunteer to recycle it? If it's still available, contact me direct ( snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net) and let's see what we can work out.

Thanks for considering

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Sorry, I dropped that stuff off early this morning (and rescued another laptop in the process!). But, I'll make a note and watch for others (or, even *it*, if it is still there on my next trip).

OTOH, with the (swollen) battery removed, connecting it to a PC (USB cable) didn't show any signs of life. Of course, it's possible that the device draws more power than a USB port can supply -- or, wasn't designed to operate in the absence of the battery. That's always the gamble with rescued kit!

Reply to
Don Y

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Would like to pick up a second one for the BR to control the TV, satellite and audio stuff there. That unit is discontinued and scarce. Like to keep the learning curve down for SWMBO as she took to the Harmony One like a duck to water.

They must have a charged battery in place before they will even be recognized by the USB port.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Understood. It was "pretty"/cute but *only* as a remote control. I'm currently using PDA's with some custom software in that role (sort of like a mini-tablet with buttons "drawn" on the touchscreen).

I'm surprised it is "discontinued" -- this one looked like it had just come out of it's packaging (no scuff marks, pizza stains, scratches, etc.).

Ah, OK. So, without having a "spare (battery)" to test the unit, I'd never be able to tell if it was "dead", or not.

[When folks discard things, its always a crap shoot: did they discard it because they got tired of it, were intimidated by it, or because it is BROKEN. (*I* wouldn't consider a swollen battery to be "broken" but if the original owner couldn't figure out how to remove it, then I guess he/she might come to that conclusion!]

I'll bookmark this post so I can find it, again, if anything turns up.

Reply to
Don Y

Apparently the swollen battery problem arose out of either defective batteries or charger (likely the latter). They say that if you leave the remote in the charger when not in use, the problem is likely to occur. Despite being a LiIon cell, near continuous residence in a charging stand will bloat the cell and simultaneously diminish its ability to hold a charge.

Had a wireless broadband unit from Sprint that went to battery heaven that way and damn near took the unit with it. Burned my fingers when I happened to pick it up. Shudder to think what might have happened had I not discovered it and it blew while we were out of town, etc.

Once out of warranty service by Logitech is described as spotty and with these being discontinued... Removed the battery requires significant surgical skills but I'd be willing to roll the dice if I don't have too much invested to try.

Fortunately, I only charge mine when it gets way down low. Charger is purposely placed out of the way to avoid accidental overcharging.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

With our "PDA approach", the "remote" (PDA) typically sits on a coffee table. Not a convenient place for a charger. So, when one of them "gets low", we just move it to a charger and retrieve the unit that was sitting *on* the charger.

This works OK for our usage patterns. OTOH, if you leave it on the charger too long, the battery can often *discharge* (as charging strategies vary -- one is "charge until topped off, then stop").

I've never had to design a battery powered product in the past. Faced with that challenge, now, I can see how easy it would be to get the usage pattern wrong and end up with a crappy product!

[E.g., my bluetooth headset sees such seldom use that I'd much prefer putting REPLACEABLE batteries in it instead of letting it sit on a charger, "dreaming" of some potential future use!]
Reply to
Don Y

The BT headset I use is a Plantronics model that seamlessly connects to either my cellular phone or the office phone's desk set. As a consequence, I have a headset on my right ear about 9 hours per day. Battery life in the Plantronics is exceptional. We have no landlines at home, just our cellular phones but when we get in range the BT in each connects to a Siemens Gigaset BT interface that allows use of the cellular phones through our cordless phone/intercom system and hardwired POTS formerly connected to the grid. Works quite well.

So, when I come home in the evening, I remove the Plantronics and toss it on the charger (if I remember) before dinner. It charges pretty quickly so after dinner if the blue light is shining steadily, I just disconnect it and let it go to standby.

The key with the various battery technologies out there is to RTFM and follow the manufacturer's recommendations. If you and and have a bad experience, then scream loud and long for redress. Otherwise you have only yourself to blame.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

"headset" or "earpiece"? I.e., can you listen to music, in stereo, through it?

OK, that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ suggests earpiece. :>

I'm planning on using BT earpieces to connect to "The House". I.e., to issue commands (and receive reports) from The House. The phone, of course, is just a small part of that.

But, to do so, the headset is actually *working* for most of that time. I.e., the house can opt to speak to a user ; and the user can opt to speak to the house, .

[Imagine how you would use such a system in a workplace -- where anyone could contact you ]

I'm planning on just allowing the user to swap earpieces (or headsets) so a unit can be charging while they are *using* another. Sort of like the way we use our "PDA remote controls", currently (though much smaller and far more portable and unobtrusive, of course!)

Exactly. E.g., a cordless phone tends to see "off hook" use for the duration of a call, then returned to the charging cradle (or not). A BT earpiece tends to get crammed into your ear and left there for some time. A remote control tends to be used more like the earpiece than the phone.

Reply to
Don Y

FYI, I was hunting for a replacement battery for one of my cordless mice on Amazon and stumbled on Harmony One batteries. Which, then led to Harmony One *remotes*! This listing claims 11 still in stock (NOS) at ~$350:

I'll continue to keep my eyes open for another (the one I dropped off previously was "processed" before I returned) -- I'll be there Tuesday if nothing else interferes with my schedule.

But, at least there's still a "retail" option if you want to pursue it!

Reply to
Don Y

Thanks. Seen quite a few on ebay and have bid on a few. They are nice units but that's lead to profiteering after Logitech discontinued them. IIRC (and not certain) I bought mine new at Best Buy for just north of $200

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Ah! No idea of MSRP (so no idea as to whether the $350 was a "reasonable" price or not) -- just thought I'd pass it along...

Reply to
Don Y