OT Little trip out this weekend.

Went on and old fart's bus tour to Stratford on Avon. Years since I was last there. Lots of pubs All the Shakespeare stuff where he was born, where his wife lived and the grave with the famous curse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare#Later_years_and_death Lots of tourists but not as many Yanks a usual. Mostly from Easterm Europe & Japan/China. I expect the Yanks are staying at home worried about their possible new status as third world country/homeless person.. Who can blame the poor buggers?

What's a bus?
nb
--
vi ...the heart of evil

On 8/1/2011 8:32 AM, harryagain wrote:

England. The land of cold food and warm beer. Years ago in preparation for a visit to London I posted a note looking for dining recommendations. I got several. Strangely, none were English. When I got there I discovered I had not been led astray.
Harryagainandagain ignores the fact that so many of those early settlers to the colonies were bailing out of Merrie Olde England.
Not so merry I gather.

Warm beer. Our beer can be drunk at any temperature. Yours has to drunk cold to numb the mouth it's so bad. If you don't believe me, let someof yours warm up and then drink it.
We exported our criminals/less intelligent all round the world. It shows in US society today where now even the government are criminal dopes.

I found it very dangerous in Birmingham. They drive on the wrong side of the streets!!
But I was truly amazed that I didn't fall asleep at the Shakespeare performance (Richard something - my kingdom for a horse) in Stratford, and I could follow the whole thing!!! Probabky woulkd not have been able to follow a Vondel play in the original language. I was attendinga very tiring scientific conference in 2003.
--
Best regards
Han

Probably is for the sub-intelligent.
On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:03:07 -0400, Frank wrote:

Depends on what you like, I suppose. I grew up in England - London was always nice for a couple of hours, then I couldn't wait to leave. Too crowded, too noisy, too smelly, too much concrete.

:-) I still often drive in the US with right hand only on the wheel, because my left wants to be shifting gears.

I find them a nightmare in the US because so many other drivers don't know what the heck to do at them. I don't think they're even covered in the drivers manual up here in MN, so it's not like new drivers are being taught how to use them, either.
Shame as they're so much better than lights in certain situations!

Not that it ever gets checked nearly as much as it does in the US - I remember we used to regularly visit bars at 16 and never got asked for ID.

Yeah, the NRM's pretty good (not that I've been for a few decades!). I seem to remember the Viking museum there was worth a look, too.
cheers
Jules
harryagain wrote:

There are too many English dudes on TV now, it's not so bad when the news is from Great Brittan but why do we have to hire them here to report the news in the USA? Did we win the revolution or lose it?

Or like Hugh Lurie where they not only import him, but make him speak REAL English, as opposed to that English English (g)

Us Brits sound/are more intellectual. But you are right. Piers Morgan is a twerp that couldn't get a job over here. If you mean him. But we have some Americans over here. People here like the MidWest accent. But not NorthEast.
You lost. The revolution was so rich people didn't have to pay tax, nothing about freedoms. Rich people still don't want to pay tax today and you now live in a neo-Fascist state that practices kidnap, murder torture, lies and runs concentration camps. Things will get worse with your Tealeaf society. (Neo Fascists)
Poor people in America are expected to fight/die in foreign wars and live in tents. Now I hear they will be expected to uncomplainingly die of cureable diseases. Just like in Africa. Will there be an outbreak of bubonic plague in Washinton?
A tenth of the population are in jail I hear. I imagine they are the ones that didn't want to live in tents. I hear the tealeaves want to put more people in jail to work for $0.18/hour.
Land of the "free and equal" Heh! Heh!, Don't make me laugh.